Academy 1/72 F8-E Crusader

Matt_L

Hello,

In between bursts of enthusiasm for my ongoing 1/24 Tiffie build I've scaled right down and been gradually working on the very fine 1/72nd Academy Crusader. I've always liked this US jet, building the old Hasegawa version many many years back and trying/failing to do something decent with the Esci 48th version a while ago.

DSCN0647%20800x600_zpsdtyxqk0s.jpg

In this scale I can afford to visit the aftermarket, and have added Eduard's Zoom, Quickboost slats (with Flaps to follow) and intakes. I've read that the slats set is too short - we'll see, they certainly have finer edges than the kit parts, which itself is beautifully moulded with very fine panel lines and riveting, which I'll do my best not to foul up! You'll see I started work before taking this pic - Eduard didn't send me a used fret!

ll be building it wing up, flaps down, probably with one of the kit decal schemes for two US Marines users. As this has been a slow burner build, I'm presenting quite a lot in this first post, including the cockpit with the pre-coloured etch adding lots of detail that while I know others can replicate themselves, I know my limits! That ejector seat pull is lovely but fragile, it's pinged off twice know, but is now kept in a very safe place. Strangely Eduard only printed the yellow and black on the topside, so some very careful paintwork will be needed below, as it will be visible.

DSCN0451%20600x800_zpsoqz7vqxi.jpg

Wheelbay and speedbrake inserts, excellent moulding here painted with Tamiya pure white spray can and some washes of grime:

DSCN0652%20800x600_zpsizrf20pm.jpg

DSCN0653%20800x620_zpsgieqeui2.jpg

The closed up fuselage happens early on, with the various sub-assemblies dropping easily into place:

DSCN0637%20800x441_zpst3abzqhc.jpg

The cockpit in place, with a little scratchbuilding for the gunsight and shroud - spare etch and kitchen foil...

DSCN0638%20800x580_zpsmh5vzbi4.jpg

DSCN0650%20711x800_zpscfkindhz.jpg

Very unforgiving in close up, this scale - dust issues in the black paint I think...

The hollowed-out Quickboost replacement intakes - nothing wrong with the kit ones other than no openings, but very fiddly job to open them.

DSCN0648%20800x600_zpsuzytkhy5.jpg

So, that's pretty much up to date on this build. This is a very clean and crisp kit to build, so I'm hoping I can show more progress soon. Welcome all your constructive comments,

Take care,

Matt

Edited by Matt_L
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

A little progress with this today, with some scratch detailing of the wing/engine bay, while I wait for the Quickboost dropped flap set (I've got the slats, but, as I'd heard, they're too short, and frankly less detailed than the kit parts!)

Some spare etch and fuse wire to sketch in some busier detail, not that much can be seen with the raised wing in place:

DSCN0662%20800x691_zpsp3b4t3pz.jpg

DSCN0661%20800x600_zps83ddufgd.jpg

Tamiya Pure White sprayed from the can- I'd spent a bit of time trying to research what colour this area is, the kit instructions have it as primer green, but I decided to go with white on the basis that all the other accessible bays are that way...

DSCN0663%20800x600_zpsjn8biync.jpg

DSCN0664%20800x708_zpsl2abgyiu.jpg

And a dark grey wash to bring out the detail a bit. I may rework this a bit so it is starker even when in the wing's shadow.

DSCN0666%20800x735_zpsoinakqmf.jpg

Hopefully the flap set will arrive soon, then the main work of the build can start - cutting and replacing the kit wing flaps. time for a new blade and careful checking of references!

Take care,

Matt

• Like 3

Flaps arrived! so, after some checking of references and which lines to cut, this evening it's gone from this...

2015-09-21%2018.28.24%20800x600_zpsfcvct

to this...

2015-09-21%2021.20.40%20800x575_zpsklyoa

Slight remedial filling to do where the scriber skidded, and in the very fiddly angles mid-way along the wing, but not too bad. The Quickboost set is very finely cast, trailing edges are thinner than the rest of the kit's wing, so will need to do some gently adzing to get a comparable edge.

I'll actually attach the flap parts once the wing is in place, so as to get the droop angles right, and there's a possibility of fouling the fuselage if it's wrong. This will also help painting, as the flaps are all white, against the Light Gull Grey upper wing and fuselage

That's all for this evening, but a big step taken. First time I've done dropped flaps on a model, thinking about it!

Take care,

Matt

• Like 3

This brings back a few memories from when I did my example of this kit, with similar alterations to yours. Nice work!

It certainly makes things easier being able to work on the wing and fuselage as totally separate assemblies with no need to try and remove any gaps when they come together. Don't be surprised if the inner set of flaps hit the fuselage - they shouldn't but mine did when I reattached them and it seems to be a common issue I've noticed. I just sanded mine down a bit until they fit, meaning the shape was no longer quite right, but not in an easily noticeable way.

Just for inspiration since we seem to have followed similar paths, here is my old Hasegawa Crusader (which I also dropped the flaps and droops on) at top, with my Academy Crusader in front :)

crucompare.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 3

Thanks Mumbles, two impressive builds there. Welcome hearing how you approached joining the curved quickboost flap surface to the flat kit part face - pics of the real thing suggest very little obvious gap and a smooth transition from wing to dropped flap.

• Like 1

Thanks Mumbles, two impressive builds there. Welcome hearing how you approached joining the curved quickboost flap surface to the flat kit part face - pics of the real thing suggest very little obvious gap and a smooth transition from wing to dropped flap.

Cheers :)

I didn't use the quickboost set, I did it the daft way by sectioning the wing and reattaching the parts after clean up.

Crusadercut03_zpsovbltcor.jpg

I put half-round plastic strip on the hinge sections of the flaps, then bevelled out the interior of the wing trailing edge like so to get them to fit vaguely like the real thing:

bevel_zpsjwcmalez.jpg

You need to be careful doing this lest you remove the actual final exterior trailing edge though.

Edited by mumbles

Cheers :)

I didn't use the quickboost set, I did it the daft way by sectioning the wing and reattaching the parts after clean up.

I put half-round plastic strip on the hinge sections of the flaps, then bevelled out the interior of the wing trailing edge like so to get them to fit vaguely like the real thing:

You need to be careful doing this lest you remove the actual final exterior trailing edge though.

Proper modelling there Mumbles.

Flaps aside, the slats are on. Having discovered the Quickboost set are a bit small (anyone building a 1/73 scale Crusader can have them for free) I've added some plasticard to the upper half of the mating edge of the kit parts to give extra downward tilt:

What an exciting photo!

DSCN0673%20800x512_zpsoclcrxan.jpg

One of four on, one waiting. I've also filled and smoothed the joint with perfect plastic putty, and created a flattened transition with a scalpel edge (which you can't see at all but I feel good knowing it's there!)

DSCN0670%20800x607_zpsplmv8rr1.jpg

All on. They've lined up pretty much parallel, and the wing's just perching for now. I can see care will be needed to get everything aligned well when attaching wing to fuselage, the anhedral and tilt boggle the eyes a bit.

DSCN0675%20800x503_zpsqufetuqe.jpg

Enough for today,

Take care,

Matt

Major detail in the cockpit - looking great!

Thanks Lancbuilder, credit goes to Eduard, I enjoy a scratchbuild, but not in this scale!

• Like 2

Proper modelling there Mumbles.

Flaps aside, the slats are on. Having discovered the Quickboost set are a bit small (anyone building a 1/73 scale Crusader can have them for free) I've added some plasticard to the upper half of the mating edge of the kit parts to give extra downward tilt:

What an exciting photo!

DSCN0673%20800x512_zpsoclcrxan.jpg

Cool. I used a couple of tiny bits of plastic sheet like that in the gap to set the angle, and another couple to bookend before swamping the gap with putty. Not quite as subtle as your approach :)

bevel2_zpsy0qeiag3.jpg

Your assembled wing looks great.

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 2

Hello,

Some paint has gone on it. Many coats of white! Excuse the pics, the camera struggled with all that white...

I masked up the cockpit and wheel bays and used a Humbrol matt white can. I like the coverage this gives after a few light coats, and it dries v fast. After a polish, this will be both underside/nose/flaps/rudder/stabilisers colour and an undercoat for the Light Gull Grey (Xtracylix). The first coat showed up a few blemishes which some plastic putty or CA spots soon dealt with. A few panel lines to reinstate too.

DSCN0728%201024x726_zpszcusxwow.jpg

DSCN0726%20915x1024_zpsk4pbpf8i.jpg

DSCN0731%201024x821_zpsfu7126ll.jpg

That's all for this weekend,

Take care,

Matt

• Like 3

Great work so far :)[/quote

Thanks Val, currently going cross eyed and slightly mad putting the panel lines back in on a white plane on poor light...

• Like 2

Hello,

More painting progress. I've put back all the panel lines lost in the build so far, and some of the more obvious rivets with a pin, and used a thin panel line wash to provide some very limited pre shading for the grey.

DSCN0733%201024x574_zpsh9xygnhy.jpg

DSCN0734%201024x723_zpsad12tkuo.jpg

DSCN0735%201024x750_zpsreh65c1r.jpg

First coat of grey - Xtracrylix L Gull Grey with white added.

DSCN0736%201024x521_zpsmgg940an.jpg

DSCN0737%201024x464_zpsrj51byh8.jpg

There is some subtle shading and variation, not obvious I grant you, but I'll add a second layer of shading before putting down some lighter/darker random coats of the grey. The white diamonds on the tail are to give backing to the Red Devils badge - decals look a bit see-through to me.

Take care,

Matt

• Like 4

Looks good so far, I have two on the go. I also found the QB flaps a bit short(I also have the Wolfpack ones) Strange thing, when you drop the flaps, the shortness disappears. I know the QB droops need 1 mm added to the outer and inner droops. You used the kit parts which are very usable. I'll be doing that with the next ones I do, mostly to save on buying these parts.

Looking good. Did you have any issues getting the ventral fins on and firmly attached? It was a weak area on mine.

hi Mumbles, yes, a little delicate, I think they fit best at the wrong angle! At the correct angle (research needed - no helpful diagrams in the instructions!) only some of the mating surface hits the fuse. Super glue and filler...

Very nice! Have got one of these in the stash at the moment and am thinking of modelling it in flight with a Mig15 or something.

Thanks Flashman, it's a lovely kit to build, your plan sounds good - Crusader in flight looks great

Looks good so far, I have two on the go. I also found the QB flaps a bit short(I also have the Wolfpack ones) Strange thing, when you drop the flaps, the shortness disappears. I know the QB droops need 1 mm added to the outer and inner droops. You used the kit parts which are very usable. I'll be doing that with the next ones I do, mostly to save on buying these parts.

Hi busnproplinerfan, thanks, are your builds here?

Matt

hi Mumbles, yes, a little delicate, I think they fit best at the wrong angle! At the correct angle (research needed - no helpful diagrams in the instructions!) only some of the mating surface hits the fuse. Super glue and filler...

Thanks Flashman, it's a lovely kit to build, your plan sounds good - Crusader in flight looks great

Hi busnproplinerfan, thanks, are your builds here?

Matt

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985180-172-xf8u-1-crusader-prototype-138899/

I just noticed in important screw up in the kit and the aftermarket outer main gear doors I have. The landing light is shown going on the port(left) door, it even has the notch. It is wrong, it's supposed to be on the right (starboard) side. I confirmed with the reference books I have. Hope you don't have your outer doors done yet.

Hello,

Few little bits done - been distracted by the Tiffie...

Aftermarket nose probe - will ned some fine filling to blend it back in to a point...

DSCN0773%20980x767_zps5g4jxjgd.jpg

...and the etch cockpit coaming...(you'll see I've been testing the decals!)

DSCN0774%20980x735_zpsqmaieq3c.jpg

More soon hopefully, and thanks to busnproplinerfan for the doors/lights tip!

Take care,

Matt

• Like 1