Airfix Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley Mk. V

Well wow

I had the pleasure of meeting Susan's incomparable Whitley today and sadly I have to draw the only possible conclusion

The camera does lie, frequently and comprehensively

Of course the barn door didn't get to its tryst with Kpg because it was here in Walsall Wood at the Sutton Coldfield Model show but it is with regret I have to advise anyone with the slightest interest in buying it to get there before I do

In real life it far surpasses the images we've seen here and in the relative safety of Airfix Modelworld's hallowed pages

It is absolute bliss to gaze upon, not only here in the shape of Melchie's rather tasty version but there was another one built up on a table near me which I took quite a few walkies past

just to confirm how nice it is of course

I had the pleasure of The General, Robvulcan and Radders's company at the show too

Very congenial it was too except for Binky biting my hat off, chilly drive home yer madship :(

Sutton's Show was a very good one and is to be commended as well worth attending next year

Thanks for the show Sutton, very nice day out

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Thanks again chaps...

Cheers Chris, .........you really should !

Bill it was a pleasure nattering during the show as well as into the setting of the sun. Sorry to hear that Binky misbehaved herself and ate yer bone-dome on the way back to Point-Perdu......... she may have overheard the bit about her carbs needing balancing, or could it have been your mention of the scrappy ? (I think I heard a misfire on the starboard outer but could just as likely have been the earlier cheeseburger repeating..).

Great to meet up with the usual suspects and have yet a another thoroughly good day out, thanks should go to the Sutton chaps for organizing the shindig too....

Also, thanks for those that stopped by our table to comment on the Whitley.....then nip off to buy one for £20 downstairs..... it was nice to see so many clutched tightly under folks arms on their way out of the show.

(Oh and Bill, thanks for demonstrating the age old trick of randomly throwing your car keys onto the asphalt and coming up with my 'lost' sunglasses screw.......great tip and one I must show the Mem !).

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

She'll probably be glad it wasn't the other age old trick with the keys, the one where you throw the keys into an empty fruit bowl and the 'oldest crone' ® makes a rapid dive for them thus guaranteeing a lift home ;)

I may add that being of plebian origin my descriptor of that game is based solely, (yes solely I tell ye) upon hearsay

And reading Leslie Thomas midlife crisis fiction

nobody ever invited me to any place with Pampas Grass gardening habits

• Like 1

Thank you Ivan, your comments are much appreciated.....

Bill, ah yes I've been to those type of 'parties' a few times myself..a pal of mine lost a perfectly good Cortina MK.III that way. (However we did have a point system going on plus the inevitable sweep stake !).

Virgin Soldiers eh, well we all were really ! My MLC involved a Metallica concert, the moshe pit and two crates of 'Old Bessemer's Steam Converter'.....I'm very easily pleased.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Great job on this kit. I can only hope to come close with mine. 

I am working on an early SOE version of this aircraft. Whitley T4264 which was one of the first operational losses from Flight 419 in Feb. 1941 when it was based at Stradishall. I am interested if anyone can help out with visual data on this aircraft. It was the only paratrooper configured, Flight 419 Whitley, complete with "jump" hole, and it's loss was keenly felt. Interesting details include a picture from Freddie Clark's AGENTS by Moonlight (pg 9 - the caption has a typo listing the flight as 416) and numerous references from Nicolas Livingstone's awesome work in progress "Before Tempsford" which chronicles the 1940 -  1942 history of Flight 419 (later renumbered to 1419) at Stradishall and Newmarket Heath. Flight 419 was the genesis  of the Tempsford based 138 and 161 Squadrons and as followers of SOE know they took the lion's share of the limelight in recent years.  But it was the incredible dedication of these early SOE pilots and crews fighting shortages, bureaucratic prejudice and a generally unhelpful attitude who laid the groundwork for the future.  

Also on an interesting note, the pilot of this aircraft S/Ldr FJB Keast was shot down on this mission, his third in as many nights. He had just returned from flying Whitley Z6473 (retro fitted with long range tanks) on an eleven hour 20 minute op to Poland to successfully drop 3 Polish agents in the border area between Poland and Germany. The next night he flew to Belgium in T4264 to drop an agent (which he did successfully) and was then shot down. He crash landed the plane in a field in Belgium and he and and his crew survived and were POW for the duration. Another interesting note is the lack of squadron or aircraft letter identifiers on these early aircraft. Serial number and no more. 

So there, I've sort of thrown it all out there. Anything members can assist with be it photos, drawings, descriptions or just general discussion I would sincerely appreciate.

Edited by klunker
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2015 at 0:12 AM, Learstang said:

That looks like some excellent detail in the cockpit, General - top drawer stuff by both you and General Airfix (and General Eduard)! However, if I might, I couldn't help but notice that that navigator chap's chart is actually of Basingstoke, and not Westphalia. Still, splendid work all around there!

Bestest,

Jason

Basingstoke? Slough surely...

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 3

Hi GM,

You did a great job!

I'm building the kit now, and have been having many of the same fit issues you describe. One that I did not see you mention is a small step between the outermost flange like portion of the lower engine nacelles and the wing. Was that something on the real aircraft as well? 

I sanded down all the paint along joints, as I've been informed of the low tolerances on this kit, but it didn't seem to help. I wonder if it is being caused by some small piece deep inside, which is compounding fits as I work my way outward. 

Fun kit thought. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, 

Klunker, I'll have a good look through my reference material and see if I can come up with any images of T4264, sounds interesting. If I don't have anything then I know a few chaps who probably will.

Softscience, thanks, yes you're quite right there is a nasty step that needs attention, sorry I forgot to mention this. The real thing was flush, I just used a 5mm sanding stick, (coarse grade) and plenty of water to level things off, it didn't take long but is a bit of a nuisance. I've built three Whitleys now and had to do the same on each...

Thanks Bernd, agreed it was certainly no beauty queen but as with a lot of these early designs had plenty of 'character'...to be fair Armstrong-Whitworth weren't exactly renown for aesthetically pleasing aircraft, just look at the unfortunate Albemarle that followed the Whitley into service....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Bernd, agreed it was certainly no beauty queen but as with a lot of these early designs had plenty of 'character'...to be fair Armstrong-Whitworth weren't exactly renown for aesthetically pleasing aircraft, just look at the unfortunate Albemarle that followed the Whitley into service....

The twenties and early thirties seemed to be replete with examples of aircraft where drag reduction was clearly predicated on making air molecules run away in fright. The Farman Jabirus stands out for me.

• Like 1

Joseph, so true...the Jaribus was certainly something to behold and like many others of the ilk looks more akin to the aftermath of a serious accident. The Tarrant Tabor looked like a torpedo that had flown into a building site and the PZL-30 Zubr (LWS-6) seems to have been based on a Greek Trireme ! frightening stuff.....

Thanks Russ...I miss stuff all the time, old age I guess !

General Melchett,

Thank you sir for looking into my query. I'm fascinated by the early SOE's begged, borrowed and not quite stolen collection of Whitley's. Truly a secret service on a shoestring. It's nice to see Livingstone's 'Before Tempsford' finally give those men and this particular aircraft some recognition. Eleven plus hours to Poland and back in a Whitley beggars the imagination. This could be fertile ground for Airfix to release another version of the Whitley. 

All the best and thanks,

Klunker

Edited by klunker
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, general melchett said:

Softscience, thanks, yes you're quite right there is a nasty step that needs attention, sorry I forgot to mention this. The real thing was flush, I just used a 5mm sanding stick, (coarse grade) and plenty of water to level things off, it didn't take long but is a bit of a nuisance. I've built three Whitleys now and had to do the same on each...

Phew! Glad its not just me :D

Any gotchas to look out for in the forward fuselage? I began my build with the wings and back, and and working my way forwards, next.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, general melchett said:

Joseph, so true...the Jaribus was certainly something to behold and like many others of the ilk looks more akin to the aftermath of a serious accident. The Tarrant Tabor looked like a torpedo that had flown into a building site and the PZL-30 Zubr (LWS-6) seems to have been based on a Greek Trireme ! frightening stuff.....

Thanks Russ...I miss stuff all the time, old age I guess !

Of course I'm seeing those old aircraft through the lens of later and more practised design, but even so... I see what you mean about the Zubr - the nose looks like a bow ram.

• Like 1

Must have missed this the first time round.  An absolute stunner.  Looks great in this 'classic' scheme.  Check out the thickness of the wings in the three quarter shout.  I reckon an average height man could have stood up inside the real thing!  I hope one day someone like Valom will produce a Fairey Hendon.  It would look great next to a Whitley. 

General Melchett,

Just a quick note to let you know that I have clarified my initial post on S/Ldr Keast's flights. He flew to Poland in Whitley Z6473 (equipped with fuselage fuel tanks and a modified, inward opening entry door for the agents to free jump from). He was shot down the next night in Whitley T4264 (equipped with jump hole for multiple jumpers). Info on either one would be greatly appreciated. 

Respectfully yours and in AWE of your modeling skills. 

Klunker

• Like 1

• 3 years later...