Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth (OOB) ** FINISHED **

Congrats, Ced! The little bird looks fantastic and the rigging turned out really well! I think you got the hang of it :)

I'm not a rigging expert. I've only rigged one aircraft till now but the result hooked me to biplanes. I have several in my stash now.

Let's see how my plans for using the Eduard's PE set goes...

Cheers

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
  • Like 1

OOB? What's that LOL Looking really great there Ced. I'm bloody impressed mate. Keep it up. That rigging looks great as well :)

Jaime - I too have become hooked on biplanes and rigging because of the Tiger Moth I built in this GB. I have since added quite a few biplanes to my ever growing stash. Damn you inspiration, damn you :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Max - Not to hijack this fine thread but are you able to elaborate any further on the 1/32 Rapide?

• Like 2

Cracking job Ced, well done, that's a very competent-looking set of rigging B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew :) Got away with it! I may do some 'don't do this' shots later to warn others.

Bravo Ced, splendid job....you should feel very pleased with yourself for having taken this on (under NO pressure whatsoever of course) and cracked it (I mean that in the metaphorical not literal sense!).

I LOVE Rapides...my first aeroplane flight ever was as a 10 year old from Colerne in a silver Rapide, the pilot was a lady in a purple and white striped blouse and it cost my Dad the princely sum of 10/- (50p to all you youngsters). My partner and I also flew in the Duxford Rapide a couple of years ago,

[photo removed - see above]

it brought back many memories and I had the chance to take many pictures because I have a 1/48th scale Rapide (though to be finished as a Dominie from No. 2 Radio School Yatesbury) in build. I also have an Aeroclub one yet to do but I happen to know that a 1/32nd Rapide is being master moulded in Oz!! Exciting. :)

Max

Thanks very much Max... although if that's what you call "no pressure whatsoever" I'd hate to see you when you're being "persuasive" :)

Nice pic of the Rapide... she's lovely (and the 'plane!)

Congrats, Ced! The little bird looks fantastic and the rigging turned out really well! I think you got the hang of it :)

I'm not a rigging expert. I've only rigged one aircraft till now but the result hooked me to biplanes. I have several in my stash now.

Let's see how my plans for using the Eduard's PE set goes...

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime :) Some warnings below!!

OOB? What's that LOL Looking really great there Ced. I'm bloody impressed mate. Keep it up. That rigging looks great as well :)

Jaime - I too have become hooked on biplanes and rigging because of the Tiger Moth I built in this GB. I have since added quite a few biplanes to my ever growing stash. Damn you inspiration, damn you :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

[snip]

Thanks Paul :)

I must say that this has been a bit of a drudge for me, possibly because of other (work) issues but mainly the fiddly work. Now that I've come to apply the transfers I have become a bit more attached again... she is cute eh? That said I don't think biplanes are going to invade my stash any day soon, even if it does mean I could buy one of those great jig gadgets!

So, transfers today...

21648252720_d6bd19667d_c.jpg

Transfers on by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Some warnings, as promised:

• the 'N' on the underwing markings has cutout 'legs' and can easily fold underneath (ask me how I know)
  • the stencils are tricky (what's new) especially around / behind the undercarriage - make sure your 'patience tank' is full
  • getting the '56's put on crooked drove me mad - why aren't they straight!! Oh wait, they are when she's on her tail, but then the serials are crooked; I wish they'd made their minds up!
  • if you notice your transfer brush is getting ragged make sure the replacement isn't more attractive to the transfers that the model (ask me how I know - lost two stencils in the hairs, and had to tweezer them out)

There looks to be some silvering on the big underwing transfers so they're soaking in MicroSol now.

I think I will need a matt coat as the stencils are a bit shiny. I'll leave the MicroSol to dry until tonight or tomorrow and then get out the AB.

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 4

Hi Ced,

the Moth with decals (or are they transfers? ;) ) looks beautiful! Very well done!

Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks for the warnings and tips, I'll be on the lookout when I get to this phase.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Nice work Ced, nearly there now and then you can breath out !!! ​The Rapide is a lovely plane and the Airfix kit builds up very nicely. I built one for a GB on here too and did mine as a DH89A Dominie and was very pleased with the results. I can't wait to see a 1/32 nd one as per what Max said. That will be an impressive model on the shelf. As would a 1/24th Tiggie too, still waiting for a reply from Airfix following suggesting that for a future aircraft for them to kit, fingers crossed!!!

All the best
Chris​

• Like 1

Looking very nice Ced, I hope the MicroSol does it's stuff, I am currently looking at, and silently cursing, some transfer silvering myself...

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew :) See below - I'm not sure it's done the job but it does look better with the matt coat on.

Hi Ced,

the Moth with decals (or are they transfers? ;) ) looks beautiful! Very well done!

Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks for the warnings and tips, I'll be on the lookout when I get to this phase.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime :) Wait no longer - see below.

Nice work Ced, nearly there now and then you can breath out !!! ​The Rapide is a lovely plane and the Airfix kit builds up very nicely. I built one for a GB on here too and did mine as a DH89A Dominie and was very pleased with the results. I can't wait to see a 1/32 nd one as per what Max said. That will be an impressive model on the shelf. As would a 1/24th Tiggie too, still waiting for a reply from Airfix following suggesting that for a future aircraft for them to kit, fingers crossed!!!

All the best

Chris​

Thanks Chris :) Indeed I can now breathe again... after fitting the windscreens of course.

I'm calling this done and I've posted in the gallery (number 6!)

As promised some shots on the problems...

Silvering pre Matt coat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

21867342251_c44ba347df_z.jpg

Not entirely gone but good enough for the ceiling. As is the (I'm not happy but my eyes can't cope) rough finish around the demarkation line and the lumpy finish (in some places) from the rattle can:

21673421239_18e2eace42_z.jpg

A shot of where the runny CA caused the EZ Line to have a bendy end, and/or my hands/eyes stuck them down too far - use CA Gel!!

21672453708_4a4a6c45cc_z.jpg

Dodgy rigging by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I have a picture in my album of this with the Magister but I won't post it here in case Max bans me!! I think you can see it if you're interested.

Thanks as always for your help, support and companionship on this. It was another tiny model and I'm not sure I can cope with many more of this size.

A good practice for the Rapide rigging though (that has double lines for goodness sake!).

Right! Back to the BoB GB - I have the rest of the month to build my Blenheim IF and Defiant.

• Like 6

Well done Ced. That has come up a treat. You should be proud of the little Tiger mate. Considering you like rigging so much maybe you should do a 1/72 Pitts Special (it's even smaller than the Tiger) ;) Once again great work :)

Edited by hrtpaul
  • Like 1

Lovely result Ced! The rigging looks spot on as long as you don't zoom in too much! If some lines are a little loose, you can tighten them up sometimes by wafting something hot (heated screwdriver blade) near them. Or not. Just keep your fingers away from the zoom button...

Regards,

Adrian

PS And given that I am about to be watching American pharmaceutical commercials on hotel TVs for the next two weeks, I should get into the mood and wrap up with:

Don't try this at home. Practise on something you don't care about first. May result on one or more ends coming loose. May result in a broken lines with melted bits at the ends. May result in melted models. May cause global warming (which may or may not be a liberal plot), divorce or expulsion from polite society. Test results may not be reflected in normal driving conditions. AdrianMF Enterprises is not responsible for consequences of following this advice

• Like 1

Thanks Paul :)

Thanks Adrian :) Especially for the great step-by-step that I (almost) followed - it helped a lot. I like the warning; obviously read really fast! I hope the US TV does;t drive you too mad...

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

Really good looking Moth! Congrats on your first rigging job, came up very good. The in-flight picture in the gallery looks great :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Back now from my golfing extravaganza (what glorious weather we had) and quite a bit to catch up on. Thank you Ced for being "persuaded" to join in the GB. For your first rigged biplane the result is very creditable AND you've learned some important lessons and techniques - as you mention the Rapide has double rigging lines!

All the best

Max

• Like 1

Thanks Jaime! :)

Congratulations, Ced! Today...you are a man.

Thanks PC! That's the second time someone's said that to me... from memory the first time was much more pleasurable and didn't involve so much fiddling... oh no, wait...

Thanks Max - I certainly have learned some lessons! :D

• Like 2

Thanks Cookie :) Hope you're well...

Thanks Alex :) I've had a weekend away meeting some of the 'Bufton clan' that we've previously not had contact with and catching up with others... Dad had ten siblings and the family split up for work before the war. Nice to see so many (twenty) relatives and an interesting trip... including seeing my maternal Grandparent's grave for the first time. I've also gained some more facts about 'Dad's war' - he rarely spoke of it, apart from 'warning me off' and saying he wanted to forget... now I know he was in the Dunkirk evacuation and then went to the Ardennes I can probably see why...

Anyway, sitting on the bench at the moment are lots of part-painted crew for the BoB Defiant and Blenheim IF and my planned 'black and white bottom' trio of Spitfire MkI, Hurricane and Blenheim IV (to be started after the GB). I'll post links to the WiP threads here when I get one of these. :)

• Like 1

Hi Stew! :rofl:

Sorry about the pun... for those who didn't get it, I've now got around to it (or is it 'a round tuit'?) and started the Defiant thread here and the Blenheim here.

Hopefully I'll start the build soon! :)