Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth (OOB) ** FINISHED **

Thanks again guys... I've sat down to fit the i/ps three times today... fiddly or what! I think I'll just 'go for it' tomorrow and close up. Fingers crossed :)

Thanks Max, fourth time a charm (click on the image for larger shot):

21165952110_1c5df2ff1e_n.jpg 21354108105_bfb4737020_n.jpg

Apologies for the blurred shot - focus on the front i/p.

Now using Flickr... like it so far! Thanks to Alex for his help setting up :)

• Like 2

Slow progress...

Adrian's great step-by-step said "Thinning the rear of the lower wing joining surfaces brings the rear edge of the fuselage plate more into line with the lower fuselage surface and helps the aileron link on the top of the wing join up with the bit on the fuselage side". I guess he means these little widgets on the fuselage and wings. Lots of fettling, cleaning and sanding to get the things to touch - I hope that's right!

20738240323_7beeb96c8c_n.jpg

20738266253_9e62929099.jpg

More tomorrow - I hope to get the yellow on this weekend at least!

• Like 2

Those little widgets Ced are brackets securing the aft edge of the wing to the fuselage. Airfix, bless them, have seen fit to model them with their diminutive 1/72 Tiger Moth whereas Revell haven't bothered in 1/32 scale. Amazing huh?

You're making a damned fine job old chap!

Max

• Like 2

Thanks Max and Chris :)

After a very, very aggravating amount of fiddling I'm now here:

20740667564_f432657525_z.jpg

I know why you guys wanted me to do this now... I've had my letter for an eye test from Boots... you all have shares don't you - the game's up! :)

p.s. One bit of luck - 10mm masking tape covers the prop blades and leaves a nice tip for the yellow - result!

• Like 3

Nice work :). Also, a nice-looking kit - quite a lot nicer than the old Airfix version that I built a few years ago and had such a horrible time brush-painting with Humbrol Trainer Yellow Matt. The matt yellow ended up being a primer of sorts for the Humbrol gloss yellow that went on (OK) over the top. Then the top wing fell off when the interplane struts broke. They must have been to scale ;).

What was in the yellow rattle can - Humbrol, Gunze, Tamiya?

By the way, I didn't give Ced much help - merely told him that a connection problem appeared to have been solved (which it has, thank goodness).

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN

Thanks Max - great coverage with just a couple of blasts!

Thanks hrtpaul - coming up to the scary bit now :(

Thanks Alex - rattle can is Humbrol 24 Acrylic, great stuff as, IMHO, you can almost guarantee that the pots match for touching up. I think you DID help me choose Flickr - saved me the pain of trying all the others!! :)

After a tortuous amount of masking trying to get the side 'slope' right at the front and back it was on with the VMA Dark Earth:

21392399081_a60547849d_z.jpgDE by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Must let that dry, then it's hand brushing the H30 camo.

• Like 4

Hi Ced,

Fast and impressive progress! I envy your pace of work. I haven't managed to do much this weekend... Keep posting your good work!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Chris :)

I have been rushing this (and the Magister) a bit as I'm away on business early this week and then again for the BoB Procopius visit (exciting!) at the end of the week. I've decided I should slow down and do this properly, rather than quickly, so here's a shot of where we are tonight:

21206607989_230e635c9e_z.jpgBits by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The DG looks good after only one coat - W&N Flow improver and the Tamiya brush seem to be a winning combination :)

That said there is some touching up to do and the (gulp :shutup::hypnotised::pray: ) rigging. I need to take care!

• Like 5

Nice brush-work :). I love Tiggies! Since I acquired some "silver" LiteSpan, my electric one will (eventually) get covered in that, but I like the DE/DG/TY scheme too. And I love yours, looking really good.

I also like the look of the rattle-can TY: is that enamel, or acrylic? It smells like enamel from here ;). That will teach me to read - well, I just did, more carefully: your reply re the paint. I read it too hastily :(. My apologies.

:coat:

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! :)

Over a week since my last post! Time taken up by BoB visits with Procopius and finishing the Maggie. :)

No excuse now, time to think about the rigging :shutup::shutup: Max has pointed me at the reference thread pictures for hole positions and everyone I've asked says "drill holes, stick the line in with CA" so I think I'll do a step by step for other beginners... if I don't bottle out!

So tonight I sawed the cabane parts off the sprue to glue them to the top wing and cleaned them off... and then the fight started! Adrian had said that the top wing would 'click in place' so I started with confidence, and then, when I'd applied the glue to the second part, I realised I should test fit. It then became obvious that unless the parts were aligned before the glue dried either they'd be splayed, or the wings would be twisted, to they'd be out of line. What followed was a lot of Anglo-Saxon trying to get the bottom of the struts dry fitted to the fuselage and the top of the struts pressed into the slots correctly. A peg was obviously needed but the first attempt left the wing twisted:

20982309544_f972565476_z.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

A second fit from the back and I think the wings are lined up in all directions - I hope!

21418367359_d495b7af29_z.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I haven't broken the struts (yet) so tomorrow I will drill holes!

• Like 3