Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1 Hobby 1/72

Pulled this out of the stash as a quick build to get over my recent painful Bristol 188 experience. Quite a basic kit but not bad.

resized_a2e5f7d3-613a-4d59-9e77-eb49cad7

resized_e4b2eae1-14a5-4e6c-a201-2831badc

resized_f965184e-baa6-4f4c-9b8e-588364bb

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Edited by BritJet
Re-link photos - thanks PhotoMuppet
  • Like 7

Unusual subject. And nice build of very basic kit.

for other spectators I've googled some photos of original - just to prove the bizzare design:

http://albumwar2.com/bi-1-soviet-jet-airplane/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lasgalletas/1296614355

And I would like to quote here some story behind this project, (taken from http://forums.revora.net/topic/7705-secret-units/):

"The BI was the first liquid-fuel rocket jet fighter aircraft flown in the USSR.
This was a low-wing cantilever monoplane of simple mixed construction from the very beginning designed to facilitate mass production.
The aircraft was designed by Alexander Yakovlevich Bereznyak (1912 - 1974) and Alexei Mikhailovich Isayev (1908 - 1971) under the direction of Professor Victor Bolkhovitinov, head of the OKB Bolkhovitinov (aircraft design bureau).
The BI was powered by Dushkin - Isayev D-1A-1100 mounted in the tail section of the aircraft and capable of providing sustained thrust for 2 minutes.
The engine was fuelled by a highly-volatile mixture of aviation-grade kerosene and nitric acid, which was dangerous to handle and caused corrosion of the aircraft's tanks and fuel lines considerably delaying the aircraft's development.
Technical plans for the BI were completed in Spring of 1941, but the project's development could not go ahead until it received Stalin's approval on July 9, 1941. The first prototype was produced in only 35 days.

Wing span: 6.48 mt
Lenght: 6.40 mt
Height: ?
Weight (max): 1650 kg
Propulsion: 1x Dushkin - Isayev D-14-1100, 1406 kg
Speed (max): 990 km/h
Service ceiling: 10000 mt
Armament: 2x ShVAK-20 20mm cannons
Bomb load: N/A
Crew: 1"

Imagine: kerosene and nitric acid as fuel!

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

The cigars look like some weights, so perhaps something to do with flutter-measuring or somesuch (as there are no visible air inlets, I don't think they are air pressure/speed related). IIRC the Ian Huntley drawings accompanying the ancient Airmodel vac showed something like a fork (without the aerodynamic shaping), but he probably worked from hazy photos.

Is the base kit a rather ancient Russian short (?) run kit, coming with a lot of rivets ? If so, indeed great work. If not, still great work, but then I'd be surprised how many IM kits of this aircraft exist.

The one at Monino has this piece of apparatus attached to the wing LE. Does anyone know what it is?

The kit had something that looked similar to that but I couldn't see it on any of the photos of BI-1s I found. I'm pretty sure the BI-1 at Monino is a replica and may not be 100% accurate.

Is the base kit a rather ancient Russian short (?) run kit, coming with a lot of rivets ? If so, indeed great work. If not, still great work, but then I'd be surprised how many IM kits of this aircraft exist.

That's the one, I probably could have done far more to it but just needed a simple build at the time.

Steve