Drawings Waddington Hangars

robvulcan

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if there are such a thing as Drawings for the older Hangars at Waddington as used for Vulcans.

I can't remember the name I think it was D type Hangars, I could be wrong there.

I wish to scratch build one in 1/144TH Scale.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Hi,

The dimensions for the type "C" Hangars are 150ft x 300ft x 52ft (12 x 25 bays). The side annexes were 17ft wide.

These dimensions are from the "British Airfield Buildings. Vol. 2 The Expansion and Inter-War Periods" book.

Hope this is useful to you.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi,

The dimensions for the type "C" Hangars are 150ft x 300ft x 52ft (12 x 25 bays). The side annexes were 17ft wide.

These dimensions are from the "British Airfield Buildings. Vol. 2 The Expansion and Inter-War Periods" book.

Hope this is useful to you.

Steve.

Hi Steve thanks alot thats great information and a good starting point for me to make something acceptable :) Cheers

Corgi did a card kit years ago but I don't think it's available now

Ah yes I rememember that ! It looked cool too.

I am just surprised there are not more models of buildings for models. Especially 1/144 some kits for RAF , Luft. Etc hangars control towers would be fantastic modeling for dios much like how model railways have signal boxes, stations engines sheds etc

There are some for foreign air bases but they are not cheap. Here is a link to kits of a modern towers and hangars by Sankai.

If you want to know anything about availability of 1:144 stuff then check out the Kampfgruppe 144 website.

Mike

Thanks Mike they look fab ive not looked at the prices yet but very nice items :)

Ah yes I rememember that ! It looked cool too.

I am just surprised there are not more models of buildings for models. Especially 1/144 some kits for RAF , Luft. Etc hangars control towers would be fantastic modeling for dios much like how model railways have signal boxes, stations engines sheds etc

I purchased a set of corgi 1:144 airfield buildings a few years ago. I use them in the background when I'm photographing larger aircraft to give a sense of forced perspective

Hurricane001.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a site that sells very cheap downloads for airport buildings. Check out different types of hangars, buildings and towers down the left side. It should be simple to re-size them to whatever scale you wish before printing out onto card etc.

Mike

• Like 1

RAF Museum holds drawings/plans of some buildings as well. You can contact their research deparemt through the RAF Museum website.

Thanks Martin I will check that out. Cheers Rob :)

I am sure I have a pack of the Corgi Buildings in my stash if thta would help.

Nigel

Hi Nigel that sounds very tempting. Whats you got going it would sure help make my photos look a bit more interesting :)

Here is a site that sells very cheap downloads for airport buildings. Check out different types of hangars, buildings and towers down the left side. It should be simple to re-size them to whatever scale you wish before printing out onto card etc.

Mike

They look magic indeed. I actually have some 1:200 Diecasts be nice to make a dio for that one day :)

I've just ordered one of the Airport background sets, works out at about £6.50 for a background of eight feet wide by ten inches high. It comes in 12 downloaded sections that need to be pasted together. Although there are a couple of airliners in the view it shouldn't take too much effort to cut them out using photo-editing software; or even inserting military stuff for the background.

Mike

• Like 1

I've just ordered one of the Airport background sets, works out at about £6.50 for a background of eight feet wide by ten inches high. It comes in 12 downloaded sections that need to be pasted together. Although there are a couple of airliners in the view it shouldn't take too much effort to cut them out using photo-editing software; or even inserting military stuff for the background.

Mike

Clone Stamp is your friend :) , great idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rob

just sent two mails with drawings of C type sheds from the Maurice Hill manual. Not sure if Waddos's is '34 or '38 design (difference is in the valley gutters I think). I'm sure no one will mind if you get it wrong.

I haven't sent Tech Circular 39/94 regarding amount of snow on the building - and we all know how much you love your snow !. Scale 200mm is max allowed otherwise you have to keep it under observation and if exceeded - move everything out.

No winds in your pad exceeding a scale 60mph either !!

HTH

Dennis

• Like 2

Rob

just sent two mails with drawings of C type sheds from the Maurice Hill manual. Not sure if Waddos's is '34 or '38 design (difference is in the valley gutters I think). I'm sure no one will mind if you get it wrong.

I haven't sent Tech Circular 39/94 regarding amount of snow on the building - and we all know how much you love your snow !. Scale 200mm is max allowed otherwise you have to keep it under observation and if exceeded - move everything out.

No winds in your pad exceeding a scale 60mph either !!

HTH

Dennis

Thanks very much Dennis sorry for the late reply I missed this one. I got the drawings ok many thanks for them. As for accuracy I will settle for something that looks close. As for the snow I had not thought about a snowy scene but that could look pretty cool with a V bomber poking its nose out and title it "The Cold War"

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 2