P-47D Thunderbolt 1/48 Academy with a better Wasp!

Hello again,

As I have a couple of weeks off work coming up I thought I'd start another 'quick build' to run alonside my Sabre build.

I've decided to go for another cheapie from my stash. I say cheapie because i managed to pick it up for half price at a local clearance outlet, along with several other kits!

It's the Aacdemy P-47D Thunderbolt 'Gabreski'

P-47.png

Here are the obigatory sprue shots...

20150906_18.jpg

20150906_16.jpg

20150906_22.jpg

This last sprue is duplicated, so only one of them shown here,

20150906_24.jpg

20150906_28.jpg

A decent decal sheet courtesy of Cartograf...

20150906_26.jpg

And finally, because I find it impossible to build something without using AM (I feel like I'm not putting enough effort in if I don't use any!) a little something from Eduard to improve the office. i know the etch is for a P-47N, but it's close enough for me for a quick and dirty build!

20150906_9.jpg

Work in progress pics to follow as soon as I make some progress.

Thanks for looking

Al

Edited by Engineer66
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Just a quick update before my tea...

So much for a 'quick and easy' build!

Whilst prepping the fuselage sides for paint I noticed the oil cooler outlets and deflector plates, and thought "Hmm, they look a bit strange shaped" Next thing you know it's out with the files and drills, then a good half an hours work with plasticard and my new hole punch set...

The before pic...

20150908_4.jpg

Notice the strange shape of the oil cooler vent and deflector plate with their tapered sides, most definately not like the real deal!

And after the hard work (this is version 2 as the first attempt was way too small)

20150908_1.jpg

I'll post some 'this is the cockpit so far' pics a bit later on.

Thanks for looking

Al

• Like 1

Hi All,

I've finished the office for this one, a little later than planned! I thought I'd finished yesterday, but when I test fitted the complete pit into the fuselage half I discovered that the instrument panel stands back (towards the pilot) of the opening in the top of the cowl, meaning that you can see right down behind the panel! 'Oh dear well that is jolly unfortunate, looks like I may need to expend a bit more effort in this area' thought I (or similar words to that effect :winkgrin: ). anyway I then set about making the rear of the instruments and wiring them up. Once the gunsight is in place you will probably only be able to see about 10% of what I've done, but hey ho, it was a bit of fun.

I also managed to feed the carpet monster a few bits of PE as well, the small red handles are scratched form slivers of thin plastic strip, the originals took a dislike to my tweezers and made a bid for freedom, which I assume was successful as I didn't find them after a good half an hours worth of looking!

Anyway, here's the pics so far...

20150915_17.jpg

20150915_18.jpg

20150915_12.jpg

20150915_10.jpg

Next up will be to make a start on this and improve it a bit, At first I thought it would just be a case of adding the ignition wires, but no it also needs the bits on the front of the engine 'sorting out' Sorry I don't know what the parts are (magneto's possibly) but they are the two long oval shapes which should be round, and the square box between them should look a bit more interesting!

20150915_29.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Al

• Like 4

Nice work on the vents - I had the Eduard boxing of this kit, and it came with some PE bits for the exterior, but I doubt anyone will notice the difference in thickness ;) I like the Academy 47, and more so as it's pretty cheap to find :)

If it's any use, you can find my RFI thread here, and there's a link to the build in the first post :)

• Like 1

Hello again, time for an update.

I showed a pic earlier of the engine included in the kit and said that I planned to improve it a little by changing the shape of the 'magnetos', (at least that’s what I think they are).

Well I started by removing the part of the ‘magneto’ lumps that were against and between the cylinders and re-shaped the remainder to make them circular. Well it looked better, but still wasn’t quite right so in the end I decided to remove them completely and re make them from a bit of rod etc. Well that worked quite well, but then when I tried them in place they looked good but the torque unit between them now looked not quite right. Yup you know where this is going :winkgrin: …

Out came the chisels and knives again and soon the offending square lump was no more and the front gearbox had been sanded nice and smooth and rounded, as it should be, with nice gaps between the cylinders.

Out came the punch set and the evergreen again and another hour was spent squinting through the magnifier making the torque sensor thing. At this point I lost track of time and sense and decided to make the gubbins and pipework that sits below the gearbox on the wedge shaped ‘lump’ as well. That only left the ignition leads to make and fit, but wait! One end goes to the cylinder, but where does the other end go? Ah the HT lead manifold is missing; I’d better do something about that as well!

Here are the results, I still have the HT leads to make and fit, there’s only 36 of them so that shouldn’t take long! but I’ll leave them until the engine’s been painted as it will probably be easier. I plan on painting a long length of wire, then cutting it into lengths and fitting them in place, easier I think than trying to paint the leads in situe.

So much for a quick build over a week! :banghead:

Here are the pics of the wasp so far…

Before:

20150915_29.jpg

And after:

20150918_5.jpg

20150918_6.jpg

20150918_2.jpg

Thanks for looking

Al

(Edited to put pic's in!)

Edited by Engineer66
  • Like 3

Thanks Giemme,

I must admit I haven't been testing the parts fit. However the bits i've dry fitted so far, cockpit into fuselage and fuselage together have been quite good, although I may need to sand the pit ever so slightly to get the sides closed up without a gap in the top of the spine. (we are only talking about 0.2 mm here, so it will probably close up with glue and a clamp!

Should have some picks of the painted engine in the next day or so.

Al

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Here's my latest update on this not so much a quick build anymore!

I've finally completed the engine and added the ignition leads after painting, which proved to be a challenge, 36 wires varying in length from 8mm to 15mm each one with a drop of cyano at each end, and then position onto the engine after pre-bending (before adding glue!) Naturally I ended up cutting more than the 36 required as the carpet monster was feeding well during the process!

I used a length of copper wire unwound from an old Scalextric motor armature and stretched between two clips and painted Tamiya XF49 Khaki as that seemed a good match for a couple of photos I found on line.

Here's the finished article, most of which will probably be out of sight once in the cowling!

20151002_9.jpg

20151002_14.jpg

Whilst waiting for paint to dry on the engine, I've spent a bit of time on the fuselage, It's now together and just needs a bit of filling and sanding. I've also attended to the supercharger exhaust as well, The Academy kit has a square hole behind the outlet, which doesn't appear to be on any aircraft pictures or drawings I can find, so it was out with the plastic card and was soon filled in. Whilst I was at it I also built up some interior detail in the fairing and added an impression of the supercharger outlet from a piece of tubing. (sorry no photo's) And to finish off this area I thinned down the inter-cooler exhaust sides and fitted the divider in the middle. Just some filler and sanding required now.

20151002_19.jpg

Another little detail I've completed is the landing light. I used a bit of wine bottle foil which I polished up first, then punched out a circle using an ordinary hole punch intended for punching holes in paper for filing, then using a plastic bead i molded it into a concave shape. Once i was happy with the result i stuck it on a bit of Blu-Tac (in true Blue peter style) before punching a hole with a needle. Then it was a simple matter of feeding a length of fibre optic (stolen from my father in laws Christmas tree when he wasn't looking :winkgrin: ) through before securing with a spot of cyano. I also painted part of it black before threading it through to make it stand out a bit more.

20151002_16.jpg

This was then glued behind the opening in the wing prior to gluing the wing halves together. At this point it went a bit wrong, as in my rush to get it fitted I used cyano to fix it in place, forgetting that I had previously glued the lens in as well :banghead: Yup you've guessed it fogged over and now looks like it's full of cotton wool!

Ah well, time to try and remove the lens and re-polish it before I go any further.

That's going to be about it for updates for a few days as I'm back at work tomorrow for another four days.

Thanks for looking.

Al

• Like 2

Here's my latest update on this not so much a quick build anymore!

I kinda know what you mean ... :whistle:

Brilliant detailing, the landing light is just great! :clap: I hope you'll be able to fix the fogging issue :boxing:

Ciao

• Like 1

Nice work on the engine Al. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am finishing the same kit off at the moment without the details added.

You may have fun when it comes to the wings though.

On my one, the gun covers did not fit at all well (the gun bay was horrendous anyhow)

Also the fit of wings to fuselage is not that brilliant either, though that could just of been me LOL.

Simon.

Edited by Spookytooth
  • Like 1

Could I make a small suggest? Tack the seat belts down the to the seat a bit more? They're floaty at the mo and it stood out to me.

Really nice work on the new vents though, small little things like that make such a difference.

• Like 1

thanks Simon,

I have dry fitted the wings and I agree the fit is going to need a bit of work. I thought that the gun bays looked a bit naff as well, so have decided to fit the covers. Looking at the spruces though, there appears to be two sets of covers, so I'll fiddle around and use the ones that fit the best.

Breaker, thanks for the input, I'll have a look at the belts, and do my best although the fuselage is all closed up so can't guarantee anything!

Al

thanks Simon,

I have dry fitted the wings and I agree the fit is going to need a bit of work. I thought that the gun bays looked a bit naff as well, so have decided to fit the covers. Looking at the spruces though, there appears to be two sets of covers, so I'll fiddle around and use the ones that fit the best.

Breaker, thanks for the input, I'll have a look at the belts, and do my best although the fuselage is all closed up so can't guarantee anything!

Al

Al , you may be better off fitting the gun bay covers first before joining the wings halves together.

As for the wings? Good luck mate, I nearly binned at this stage.

Simon.