Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth G-ADJJ

Thanks gents; with regard to the rigging, the bit I do find intimidating is drilling the holes, after that doing the actual rigging with elasticated thread is pretty straightforward and really just a matter of how successfully you cover up the holes afterwards :D

I fitted the undercarriage - at last - and added the wing registration transfers:

DSCN4137.jpg

The transfer is still a bit crumpled from the (Humbrol) Decalfix but the fuselage registration codes settled very well with this stuff, it is the first time I have used it and I can confirm that it has no adverse reaction with Citadel acrylics - I read somewhere on this forum that it does not get on well with certain Tamiya paints.

Oh yes, and I realised that I had not fitted the prop when I stuck the cowling on, so I will have to add that on as an afterthought and consequently it will not rotate, thereby rendering this an unsuccessful model by my childhood definition of these things :weep:

So just a bit more tidying, a coat of satin varnish and the addition of the prop and windscreens and we will be done - I have a day off tomorrow so hopefully I can get this wrapped up then...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I just found this one Stew, so another member of your fan club has arrived. Beautiful work so far, it makes sense that the Tiger Moth would agree with you - it is a very Stew Dapple type of aeroplane in my opinion.

And another member has arrived - even later! Echo everything cooky says.

• Like 2

Congrats, Stew! The little bird is beautiful in blue, the paint finish and the rigging are excellent! did you paint the rigging lines after installation?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

That looks super! Double rudder rigging too - very nice. I'm glad you got on with Humbrol Decalfix (presumably the new one that smells of ammonia) - I have found it makes the decal stage almost pleasurable for me, so it makes a big difference!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Congrats, Stew! The little bird is beautiful in blue, the paint finish and the rigging are excellent! did you paint the rigging lines after installation?

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks very much Jaime :D - I did paint the rigging at the end - as it is elasticated, if you paint it before you fit it, the line stretches and flexes when you attach it and all the paint falls off and leaves tiny flecks of silver paint everywhere...

And from me - lovely little Moth Stew and beautifully finished as usual :)

Thank you very much Ced, you're too kind :D

Probably my favorite of the Tiger Moth builds but could be because I love that color scheme.

Great job.

Thanks Phil :D it is a lovely scheme isn't it? I am surprised no one else fell for it and built one in the same markings.

Looks very nice Stew great work.

All the best

Chris

Thanks very much Chris :D

Lovely Stew; beautiful airplane, beautiful model - great combination :)

Thanks Fritag; it is a nice little kit, but quite delicate even when it is finished... I think if it was rigged with sprue, or fishing line, or something less elastic, that would add to the strength and rigidity of the kit, but with the elastic thread, not so much. I have put it on the shelf and don't intend to so much as touch it unless it is absolutely necessary :D

That looks super! Double rudder rigging too - very nice. I'm glad you got on with Humbrol Decalfix (presumably the new one that smells of ammonia) - I have found it makes the decal stage almost pleasurable for me, so it makes a big difference!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :D - I don't know why I bothered with the double-rigging on the rudder, it all got twisted up somehow and just looks like one cable now, plus it is quite noticeably overscale... I think if it did it again I'd use something thinner for the cabling at the back end, perhaps thinly stretched sprue, as it really isn't that noticeable on real Tiger Moths.

Yes I wanted to give the Decalfix a try so I added a bottle to my most recent Hannants order - and yes, it does smell of ammonia... I'd read on this forum somewhere that it's a pretty 'hot' mixture and doesn't get on with some acrylics so I approached it with a certain amount of trepidation but aside from giving a slightly glossy finish it didn't produce any ill- or side-effects and it did what it was supposed to do. I'll definitely use it again but I think cautiously in the initial stage, at least for the first few times.

Thanks all for your attention and input :cheers:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

• 4 months later...