Black Submarines

yankeemodeller

This view shows a Typhoon on the slips - with a pristine red bottom.....

typhoon-sub.jpg

So they start out that way - and then get fouled up.

That' how I did my HB Typhoon......

350_Typhoon_22.jpg

Try Googling 'Delta IV sub' - for some great dry dock photos showing red bottoms.

Ken

Very nice Typhoon there! Is the point where the black and red meet the same as the join between the upper and lower hull halves of the kit?

Also, what colour were the undersides of the Alfa class subs?

thanks

Mike

Very nice Typhoon there! Is the point where the black and red meet the same as the join between the upper and lower hull halves of the kit?

thanks

Mike

Yes......

350_Typhoon_23.jpg

The white line is the waterline - so you would have to cut some of the upper hull away to make a waterline model.

Also, what colour were the undersides of the Alfa class subs?

Same, AFAIK......

350_Alfa%20Class_07.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/27/b4/0b/27b40bb980b52bda1e98c2811e3638f5.jpg

http://karopka.ru/upload/comments/0e6/705jq%20nh-123%200%201.jpg

Ken

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I, too, have a Hobby Boss 'Song' class but mine is 1/200 whose stand appears to be made by Pola....at that scale it's likely to be a 'stand alone' model.

It's not a subject I know much about but it was a club Secret Santa gift with a deadline so I'm on a steep learning curve. I hadn't thought of red primer for the hull

Very interesting thread, thanks chaps.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi,

I, too, have a Hobby Boss 'Song' class but mine is 1/200 whose stand appears to be made by Pola....at that scale it's likely to be a 'stand alone' model.

It's not a subject I know much about but it was a club Secret Santa gift with a deadline so I'm on a steep learning curve. I hadn't thought of red primer for the hull

Very interesting thread, thanks chaps.

Steve

Hi, divibandit, I have done some experimentation since I posted this and i am taking a liking to Model Master British Crimson, as, in my opinion, it's not a dull brownish color like Tamiya Hull Red, and it's not a bright red either. Take a look at it.