Tim's Cessna FAC * Complete *

OK this is my ticket to hell.

Compromising and building a bagged Airfix kit - a rare one at that!

In this case it's a Cessna O-2 Forward Air Control.

101_6803_zpsjwn2tpf4.jpg

This one was supplied by a work colleague who deals in toys. Price was mates-rates - thanks Nick.

101_6927_zpsy2gut64i.jpg

I'm planning for this to be a quick build.

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

That's looking great. Just started reading "The Ravens" book about FACs in Laos, excellent read if you haven't already, although as you appear to have a yen for FAC planes, I'm sure you have! I wish the old Airfix Cessnas were more readily available as they look like nice little kits.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know about this Tim.

A very nice and quick build of a kit I butchered when I was 10 or so. I can almost hear the cries of 'kit collectors' :weep: but I also believe they are to be built :goodjob:

In 48th the Testors and Italeri boxings are the same except for the colour of the plastic. The Heller kit is different and slightly smaller as it should be because it is 1/50 despite what some sites claim. However it's close enough IMHO.

The Ravens was a holiday read one year and very good it was too, must have another read.

• Like 1

You're Cleared in Hot - Tim's work here is done.
Airfix_Cessna_O2A_FAC.jpg
Declaring completion and signing off :bye:
Airfix-Cessna-O2-FAC.jpg
But still armed and dangerous :viking: .
Airfix_Cessna_O2A.jpg
Unfortunatley showing signs of heat distortion underneath - where I tried to rush paint curing under a lamp.
That's my ticket to hell sealed :devil: . As atonement I'm about to start an F8 Crusader.

• Like 6

Is there a reason airfix don't re-issue this? lost / damaged moulds?

Last issued 1989 according to ATF. My bagged kit would have been between 1969 and 1972.

If there is a reason it's not been released since - I don't know it.

Can't wait to show it off to the colleague who let me have it.

He's aware that he could have sold it for 4 times the fiver he let me have it for.

He's also aware that I could have sold it for the same amount and pocketed a quick profit.

So building, and letting him see it built, is the right thing to do.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 4

Aah, Nostalgia kit build! I have one that got to a painting stage but never completed. Also I just came across the decals for it that have yellowed a bit. Seeing this thread is inspiring me to go ahead and complete it after around 500 years in a box in the shed!!!! :sleep_1::winkgrin: