Wiggaly amps Canberra B(I)8 WT333

Nice work on this build, John. Following it has certainly piqued my interest in Canberras.

This one does it for me. Reconnaissance?

Cheers

DMC

Thanks DMC, A good choice for your Canberra build, I must get around to building a PR.9 one day.

Ahhh - the primer stage - probably my favourite, as you can tell how much more filling and sanding your Airfix Canberra has in store for you!

Lovely progress and looking forward to seeing more,

cheers

Thanks Jinxman, more on the way :)

Hello,John - Never mind with the other canopy at least you gave it a go.The way you deal with the kit item greatly improves it anyway.Fine Fettling indeed!! ;) All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, we will have to get our heads together soon and work out the painting plan! :)

John

• Like 1

Hello,John - You've been busy today and it shows.Although she's in initial primer,she's looking good and so are the panel lines.Yes,we'll discuss the painting process and the best way of proceeding with it.Well done indeed. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hello,John - You've been busy today and it shows.Although she's in initial primer,she's looking good and so are the panel lines.Yes,we'll discuss the painting process and the best way of proceeding with it.Well done indeed. ;) All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, not long now, I hope! :)

Really getting there now John looks wonderful as always :)

ThanK you Rob I just hope I don't mess up at the paint stage :)

John

I remember walking into the hanger at Samlesbury and finding out that the tail was made from wood. Banged my head a few times on that cross beam in the cockpit as well. On the T17 (I think, twas a long time ago) we were working at Warton on the equipment in the bomb bay, at certain speeds the cooling air flow reversed and equipment started to overheated. The ground techs had the jamming equipment up and running and we had a great time letting off smoke bombs to see where the air flows were, later a phone call came in that Blackpool airport just down the road were experiencing difficulties, never found out if it was a hoax or not, but we switched it off real quick.... lol.

Great work on the build.

• Like 1

I remember walking into the hanger at Samlesbury and finding out that the tail was made from wood. Banged my head a few times on that cross beam in the cockpit as well. On the T17 (I think, twas a long time ago) we were working at Warton on the equipment in the bomb bay, at certain speeds the cooling air flow reversed and equipment started to overheated. The ground techs had the jamming equipment up and running and we had a great time letting off smoke bombs to see where the air flows were, later a phone call came in that Blackpool airport just down the road were experiencing difficulties, never found out if it was a hoax or not, but we switched it off real quick.... lol.

Great work on the build.

Thanks Yorki, I'm trying my best to uphold the high standards of English Electric. The story of the T.17 is interesting, I can well imagine what mayhem it would cause! I have heard the story before but in the version I heard it was Manchester at the wrong end of the 17's wiggly amps, but what ever it's a good story. I just wish the plan to re wing the 17's with the wet wing and Avon 7's had happened, she would have made a formidable ECM platform.

John

• Like 1

Hello,John - You are upholding the high standards of English Electric.I remember Roland 'Bee' Beamont personally complimenting and discussing your Canberra builds with you at Warton.That says it all. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

Just caught up with this again John. You've made more progress with this in a month thanI have with my Mk. 8 in 24 times that! M excuse is that I bit off more than I could chew trying to sort out the tail plane roots moulded onto the rear fuselage, but now I think I have a cunning plan. If it works I'll let you know......

This Friday is the 67th anniversary of VN799's first flight: Happy Birthday Canberra.

• Like 2

Just caught up with this again John. You've made more progress with this in a month thanI have with my Mk. 8 in 24 times that! M excuse is that I bit off more than I could chew trying to sort out the tail plane roots moulded onto the rear fuselage, but now I think I have a cunning plan. If it works I'll let you know......

This Friday is the 67th anniversary of VN799's first flight: Happy Birthday Canberra.

We appreciate that.:) All the best,Paul.
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve, I'd be interested to see what idea you have come up with for the tail planes?

Very nice-lookin' build, John! :yahoo:

Mind ye, looks like yer Canberra may be chokin' with a black olive? (without pit, at least). :bleh:

Cheers, J!

Unc²

Thanks Unc, I will have to have a word with her as I can't stand olives and no Canberra of mine should be eating them! :)

We appreciate that. :) All the best,Paul.

Thanks Paul :)

John

I've enjoyed seeing this detailed and graceful craft come together here John. Always a pleasure seeing your work. So much so that I manfully stopped myself making a purely gratuitous 'Nights in White Satin' pun regarding that paint job, it would simply have lowered the tone of the thread :o

Actually you're partly to blame for me starting up on a Meteor now. Since reading James Hamilton Paterson's 'Empire of the Clouds' that whole postwar series of British jets has become increasingly enticing and your Canberra tipped me over the edge from prop to jet :)

Tony

Edited by TheBaron
  • Like 2

Hi John..

Fantastic work so far on the build. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Shame you couldn't get the better shaped canopy to fit. I've used the Alleycat / A2zee canopy on 2 builds now, it's incredibly fiddly and frustrating to fit correctly but I think the results are worth it.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979420-canberra-t17-148-airfix-and-alley-cat-conversion/?fromsearch=1

Good luck with the painting stage..

Mark.

• Like 1

Nope it was definitely Blackpool, because I remember my old boss Jim Bennett getting a bit of a b0l0cking for it. He was section leader for the in service aircraft.... I service lol Canberra, Lightning, Jags and Jet Provost / Strikemaster. The Tonka was still on the drawing board......

We had to go up to Samlesbury to survey all those lovely Canberra's. Just before they sold them all for a £1 each. Wish I now had a copy of all the photos we took that day.

Thanks Yorki, I'm trying my best to uphold the high standards of English Electric. The story of the T.17 is interesting, I can well imagine what mayhem it would cause! I have heard the story before but in the version I heard it was Manchester at the wrong end of the 17's wiggly amps, but what ever it's a good story. I just wish the plan to re wing the 17's with the wet wing and Avon 7's had happened, she would have made a formidable ECM platform.

John

Wiggly amps, I did wonder what it meant, came to a conclusion and was about right,lots of lecy gremlins running around Canberras then !

Good progress by the way John, now do cut along and start the paint job :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi John..

Fantastic work so far on the build. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Shame you couldn't get the better shaped canopy to fit. I've used the Alleycat / A2zee canopy on 2 builds now, it's incredibly fiddly and frustrating to fit correctly but I think the results are worth it.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979420-canberra-t17-148-airfix-and-alley-cat-conversion/?fromsearch=1

Good luck with the painting stage..

Mark.

Nice work on your Canberra's Mark! I could give it a go but I have so much work putting right the basics on the kit that the extra work involved in fitting the new canopy and top would probably drive me over the edge! :)

Nope it was definitely Blackpool, because I remember my old boss Jim Bennett getting a bit of a b0l0cking for it. He was section leader for the in service aircraft.... I service lol Canberra, Lightning, Jags and Jet Provost / Strikemaster. The Tonka was still on the drawing board......

We had to go up to Samlesbury to survey all those lovely Canberra's. Just before they sold them all for a £1 each. Wish I now had a copy of all the photos we took that day.

Ah the £1 Canberra's if only I had a way on getting one from Samlesbury! I bet the photos would have been interesting, if they ever turn up I wouldn't mind taking a look :) I will now change my retelling of the T.17 story to the correct Blackpool, you can't beat first hand knowledge!

I've enjoyed seeing this detailed and graceful craft come together here John. Always a pleasure seeing your work. So much so that I manfully stopped myself making a purely gratuitous 'Nights in White Satin' pun regarding that paint job, it would simply have lowered the tone of the thread :o

Actually you're partly to blame for me starting up on a Meteor now. Since reading James Hamilton Paterson's 'Empire of the Clouds' that whole postwar series of British jets has become increasingly enticing and your Canberra tipped me over the edge from prop to jet :)

Tony

Thank you Tony, if you have a pun Tony bring it on, you can't beat a good, or indeed bad pun! :) I'm glad I've turned you into a Paraffin head! :) The new Airfix Meat Box looks like a cracking kit I'm hanging fire until they bring it out with a PR nose, I just wish they were doing the Canberra now and not at the start of the new age, just imagine how good it could have been!

Wiggly amps, I did wonder what it meant, came to a conclusion and was about right,lots of lecy gremlins running around Canberras then !

Good progress by the way John, now do cut along and start the paint job :thumbsup:

Thanks HitC I like the idea of lacy gremlins! :)

I'm hanging fire until they bring it out with a PR nose, I just wish they were doing the Canberra now and not at the start of the new age, just imagine how good it could have been!

PR Canberra...in fact PR anything with jets attached as far as I'm concerned John :Tasty:

• Like 1

Hello,John - Well done on a grand start to the painting process.The glazing items look absolutely fine too! :) All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate that! :)

PR Canberra...in fact PR anything with jets attached as far as I'm concerned John :Tasty:

A man after my own hart, I can never get enough of camera armed jets! or R&D for that matter ;)

John

• Like 2

Hello,John The cockpit canopy has a superb clarity which shows the internal detail a treat.The opaque items look good and are a delicate feature.She's looking good!! ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1