Which "RED" for 4 FTS Hunters?

XF442

Hi all,

some years ago I built Revell's 1/72 Hawker Hunter as an 4 FTS aircraft using (as suggested) Xtracrylics BS537 but I was never happy with the result. The paint IMHO turned out to be too bright / too orange looking while it should look more like the roundel red.

hawker-hunter-fmk6-revell.jpg

(additional pics on modellversium if anyone is interested...)

Do you have any suggestions of a "better" looking (and preferably acrylic) paint? Somehow I feel the urge to repeat the build - albeit in 1/32 scale.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Chris

Signal red is the correct colour, Xtracylic's version is a bit too orange, though your photo's above show it pretty close to te proper shade.... The red used in the roundels is "Post Office Red" which is a richer deeper red. I used Humbrol's version of Signal a Red on my T7 in 1/48th scale using Aeroclub's superb conversion...

IMG_3362.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

Hi Chris,

Bill's post is spot on re. the difference is shades.

Back in the day (1982-1985) I was fortunate enough to spend time in and around Bulldogs, in the then standard Support Command red/white/grey scheme. Signal red had a distinct orange tone compared to roundel red.

Despite taking literally hundreds of photos on either slide or print film (Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Kodacolour or Fuji Colour) I could never get a photo to properly show the difference in shade; everything just looked "red" - despite what I saw on the flightline or when airborne.

The difference in shade seemed to be more noticeable in bright sunlight. I really became aware of it as we flew oval circuits at 800' rather than the civilian rectangular circuits at 1000'. When on the downwind leg, the runway had to be positioned between the red/grey colour change on the wing and the roundel - I was by no means a "natural" and spent plenty of time looking at this area and thus noticed the difference in shades!!!

All the best,

Michael.

Hi Chris,

The difference in shade seemed to be more noticeable in bright sunlight.

All the best,

Michael.

It did indeed, I remember seeing Hawk's and Jet Provosts for example at high level in brighter sunnier conditions and signal red took on an almost dayglo appearance, certainly compared to the light aircraft grey or white sections adjacent, and against a blue sky ( it does happen sometimes!) It was after all for high visibility I suppose..

I should also add that the 4 FTS Hunters and Gnats were high gloss, whereas Chris's model appears to be matt. The aircraft were always hangared whenever possible, so the paint seldom weathered to become matt.

whereas Chris's model appears to be matt. The aircraft were always hangared whenever possible, so the paint seldom weathered to become matt.

Yeah, it's not high gloss (didn't know about that) but satin finish. Also I got probably carried away too far by the pictures of the aircraft's scruffy look while sitting in the farmer's field...

Regarding the red paint I'll take my chance with Humbrol 174.

Regarding your quote that the roundel red is 'Post Office Red', I have checked my copy of BC381c and this colour is not quoted.

The five reds referenced in the BS381c:1996 are:

BS593: Rail Red

BS537: Signal Red

BS564: Bold Red

BS539: Currant Red

BS538: Cherry

On checking on the internet, it would appear that BS538 was renamed from 'Post Office Red' to 'Cherry' prior to the 1996 release of BS381C

XVTonker