** Non-Injection Moulded II GB - “Return of the Blob”

trickyrich

Hi,
I have a frightening number of Spanish Civil War related resin kits in the stash - this will force me to build one. Please count me in for an Omega Breguet 19 in Resin :)

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a frightening number of Spanish Civil War related resin kits in the stash - this will force me to build one. Please count me in for an Omega Breguet 19 in Resin :)

Welcome aboard, you're lucky number 30, which means this GB can now go into the vote for for GB's for 2017.

I'm thinking - can we abolish 25% rule for vacforms?

Mmmm that would be something that Enzo and the Mod's would have to decide. While I appreciate some of the VacForm models can be significantly more challenging, the same could be said with a lot of resin models, I have a few truly frightening ones in my staff. They'd easily be a 6 month build!!

Plus there is the issue on weather this would be a blanket ruling or only for complex builds. A lot of VacForm models are quite simple to build so would they have the 25% rule removed? I know at the moment nobody has an issue with "pre-cutting" of VacFrom models, I'm even happy for the resin ones to have all the mould plugs removed.

But you are right it maybe time to look at this ruling, or maybe on a case by case basis, hopefully Enzo or one of the Mod's will be able to comment???

• Like 1

My problem with 25% rule is how do the people "measure" these 25%. Usually it assumes that closing the fuselage and wings makes the model 25% complete - that's not how I build. I have a couple of started vacforms with fuselages and wings being already put together but that still require one hell of work to make them complete to acceptable standards

• Like 1

My problem with 25% rule is how do the people "measure" these 25%. Usually it assumes that closing the fuselage and wings makes the model 25% complete - that's not how I build. I have a couple of started vacforms with fuselages and wings being already put together but that still require one hell of work to make them complete to acceptable standards

I agree with Alexy here. Is it 25% of construction or over all completion? Someone could spend 75% of the build time painting and decalling.

Though the 25% rule is used in most GBs, I thought it was up to the GB hosts to decide on the acceptability of kits and the state they were in when the GB starts. Considering that Vacforms in general and resin kits require a lot more effort to assemble I think that the 25% rule should be left out of this one (or at least modified to say 50%).

I believe that the 25% rule was introduced when prizes were awarded in years gone by, so someone could not just grab something off the display shelf that was already finished and submit it to the gallery to be eligible for said prizes. These days there are less GBs with prizes offered.

In the end it is about getting as many people participating and if someone has a part started kit on the bench when the GB starts, why exclude them if they want to participate.

I can tell you now that I have at least 4 kits in work that would probably be eligible here, one started 9 years ago, is it over 25% complete? I don't know! I am not sure what issues I will come across as I go along.....

They are again all good points and as a host I am quite lenient with what I would consider is 25%.

Personally I wouldn't have an issue on how far the model has been built...within reason, I think GB's should be more inclusive. The idea of building a model with others does wonders for a modellers skills and confidence, plus you do learn so much.

We are actually starting to see a few more sponsors then in the past few years, so in these cases there would have to be some ruling, to be fair to everyone.

We pretty much always have a vote at the end of these builds and this I would suspect brings out the competitiveness in people (who doesn't like praise) and there would be a lot of members who won't admit this!! I will admit it does in me, which drive me to improve my skills and try to produce better models and I guess I enjoy that competitiveness!

So would it be far to have someone who has spent the entire build slaving away (and yes some of these builds are very hard work!!!) to produce their masterpiece up against another masterpiece 2 or 3 years in the making? You could say lets just do away with any voting but I think you would find the completion rate would drop quite noticeably. there needs to be something that drive members to complete a build.

I think the best way to be fair to everyone and allow everyone to join in no matter the stage of the build is to have the gallery divide into two areas, one who those with the competitive spirit with the start rule in place, and a second area those with builds much further progressed. But again we do have the KUTA GB for these.

these are just some discussion points and personnel opinions, again it's up to Mods and Enzo to make a ruling.

• Like 3

...and it's in the poll!

With regard to the 25% rule, I would say "if it's not broke, don't fix it". We have a robust system in place which works well. I'm very averse to changing things on an ad hoc basis when it is expedient because then we set some precedents and break others. Pretty soon no one knows where we stand.

GB hosts have always been the final arbiters of whether a build is eligible and I see no reason for that to change.

...and it's in the poll!

With regard to the 25% rule, I would say "if it's not broke, don't fix it". We have a robust system in place which works well. I'm very averse to changing things on an ad hoc basis when it is expedient because then we set some precedents and break others. Pretty soon no one knows where we stand.

GB hosts have always been the final arbiters of whether a build is eligible and I see no reason for that to change.

thanks Enzo that's great, roll on voting time!!

• 3 months later...

Ehhhh, I bought a few weeks ago a model of a DAF YP 408 PC in 1/35 from a good friend. The kit is totally resin and white metall.

Might be interesting to build it for this GB.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a bit of a nudge folks!!!!

remember voting starts for the 2017 GB's in November, so there's less than a month to go!!!!!  :frantic:

Ok this is the big one!! The first time this type of GB was held, it was a resounding success with a huge range of models built from different materials. This time I'd like to see some of the members dip their toes into the more exotic forms of modelling. The reality is that most of these alternate material models produced today are far easier to build them some of the main stream plastic stuff!!! Plus the variety of unusual models to choose from is huge!!

This is one of the very few GB's that is totally inclusive, no matter what the subject matter you enjoy building you're more than welcome here. This GB is more than just about military aircraft!! Have a look at some of the builds in the last one to see the variety and that was only just scratching the surface as to what is available out there.

Non-Injection Moulded GB Gallery

Non-Injection Moulded GB

Don't feel afraid to join because you've never built an Resin or VacForm model, there'll be a lot of experienced models in these materials who'll be more than happy to help you through your first build. I can guarantee once you've built one you'll want to build more.   

So we need to get as many votes as we can for this to go through, so don't forget to vote and try and get as many other members as you can to vote for it as well!!

So get too it!!!!

• Like 1