Airfix 1/72 F-51D with a twist - "Airborne, mission go..."

eng

Evening,

Have had this lurking on the shelf for a while with the aircraft pretty much complete but struggling to get the base finished off, well today gave me an opportunity to get it wrapped up. The kit is beautiful and I had no trouble whatsoever with this one, the rockets were a bit fiddly for my fat fingers but the rest of it was spot on.

I wanted to try something a bit different and had an idea to portray the aircraft just airborne off a strip somewhere in SE Asia, with the main gear almost fully in the wheel wells. This bit was quite straight forward, but something was niggling away at me about the whole thing, the stationary prop just didn't sit well with me.

I just happened to have a cheap old mobile that had died stashed away, it's amazing the things you keep, anyway pulling this apart revealed a tiny motor for the vibrate function....could I motorise the prop? A plasticard support structure in the nose, some carefully routed wiring and a battery holder and switch on the base and......I'll let the pics do the talking.

image_zpsorq6jwbn.jpg

73dbcfbf-203c-4d68-9040-102a55dbea23_zps

image_zpsorq6jwbn.jpg

image_zpswfbiqnhi.jpg

image_zps3vrznhhg.jpg

image_zpsrdcfa34s.jpg

image_zps40t83k9y.jpg

All comments and criticism welcome, hope you like it.

Eng

• Like 38

Thanks for all the superb comments folks, very kind. Sorry the pics werent quite up to scratch, but ironically I have to rely on my iPhone and Photobucket, so the quality drops off a bit.

Kind Regards,

Eng

• Like 1