Avro Arrow Chase Planes

ANovaScotian

Hey all

When Avro Canada were conducting flight trials of the CF-105 Arrow they were supplied with an RCAF F-86 Sabre and a CF-100 Canuck as camera chase planes. The following picture would have been taken from the CF-100 and clearly shows the Sabre. Unfortunately the rear of the aircraft is not visible in the picture. Does anyone know the identity of this Sabre? Serial Number? Squadron? Anything would be of help, as I would very much like to model this particular aircraft.

Arrow03.jpg

Regards

Larry Milberry's 'bible' on the Sabre lists 23440 as operated by Avro, however;

That Sabre in your pic is 23544 of CEPE. It would carry the letters PX before the roundel. Fin flash instead of the tail ensign.

page 61 of 'Avro Arrow' by The Boston mills Press has a slightly larger image of that particular pic, where one can make out the last two letters of the aircraft number.

Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson

I wonder if it's possible to make RL201 and the two chase planes in 1/48th? It could make a nice, if very large, diorama! :)

Provided you could get your hands on Hobbycraft's 1/48 CF-100, which I haven't seen one of in over a decade, it could be done.

Provided you could get your hands on Hobbycraft's 1/48 CF-100, which I haven't seen one of in over a decade, it could be done.

I managed to pick one up from eBay not too many years ago, so they're not quite to hen's teeth rareness, but they will get there unless someone either does a new tooling, or re-pops the old one. You know which option I'd prefer ;)

• Like 1

there was a chap in Germany selling a few not long ago on a certain auction website and I got one, can't remember though if it was a Mk. IV or Mk. V and which the first flight chase plane was?

I landed one on ebay this year, mind you it came from USA so wasn't cheap with postage, then there's decals as the kit ones are useless.

Larry Milberry's 'bible' on the Sabre lists 23440 as operated by Avro, however;

That Sabre in your pic is 23544 of CEPE. It would carry the letters PX before the roundel. Fin flash instead of the tail ensign.

page 61 of 'Avro Arrow' by The Boston mills Press has a slightly larger image of that particular pic, where one can make out the last two letters of the aircraft number.

Tony

In Larry Milberry's bible it states on page 241 that 'Avro used a Sabre 6 (23744) as its prime chase plane during Arrow test flights'. This is also confirmed by an extract from Peter Cope's log book.

Peter

• Like 1

page 88of the Boston Mills book on the Arrow has a pic with 23744 chasing 203, it is standard camo with only the number 744 aft of the roundel and on the tail is the Red Ensign.

page 76 has a Sabre chasing 202, it has no fuselage number and the fin flash on the tail(serial number unreadable).

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to pick one up from eBay not too many years ago, so they're not quite to hen's teeth rareness, but they will get there unless someone either does a new tooling, or re-pops the old one. You know which option I'd prefer ;)

Yep, they show up on eBay and at model shows from time to time. The tooling for the HC kit was, apparently, destroyed long ago. And even if they could be used, there's, also apparently, an outstanding question of ownership. I've looked into it, no repops of those.

Edited by DavidWinter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...