1/144 Airfix Boeing 737-200 SAA

Hello everyone

Thought I would share some pictures of my 737-200 in SAA colours. This is probably one of my favourite airliners and a real shame you don't see any of them around any more.

I have fond memories as a kid watching them taxi and take-off from the old Jan Smuts Airport in Johannesburg.

The kit was the very old Airfix 1/144 kit. It was pretty much my only choice as I just can't justify the cost of an authentic airliners kit, even though they really are awesome kits!

Lots of work had to go into the nose and wings to get the shape correct and to fill some of those deep lines in the wing.

I also added aftermarket Braz engines as the ones that come with the kit are not for the 200Adv.

Painting was done using a combination of Tamiya spray cans (White), Humbrol enemals for the wings and Alclad II for the engines. Light weathering was done using chalk pastels in powder form.

Decals are from Liveries Unlimited which I bought on ebay.

Thank for watching :)

732%20SAA3_zpsdghsq4st.jpg

732%20SAA2_zpstrr1sw41.jpg

732%20SAA_zpsovouarjn.jpg

• Like 27

Wow, just gorgeous - fantasties!

I have built this kit in this scheme three times now, and never got anywhere close. Incredible result achieved. The Alclad on the engines really makes such a huge difference.

Need to see more of your stuff.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Hello,Speedbird340 - Very well done indeed on a beautiful looking build of your '737'.I love the quality of finish and the chosen scheme looks very elegant and vibrant.It's a gem in my eyes.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Beautiful 737, stunning paintwork and lots of attention to detail.

Had the pleasure of working on the last of BA's -200's, challenging at times!

Eng

• Like 1

Thank you for all the kind comments everyone, it is much appreciated :)

What Alclad shades did you use?

I used a combination of Aircraft Aluminium and Polished Aluminium. I just love the ease of working with Alclad and the results are usually not to bad either.

Need to see more of your stuff.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, I have an A300 in the old SAA colours that will be making an appearance very soon.... I am just waiting for the door decals to arrive in the post. (SA post are worse than snail mail). So for now she is sitting in the display box but without doors..... :banghead:

Edited by speedbird340
  • Like 1

Hi Speedbird340

That's as good as the real thing - a beautifully built and presented model - those flight deck decals always work a treat too - I used some Nazca reflection type decals on a 777 last year and was pleased - its good to see more civies on the forum

thanks for sharing

John

• Like 1

Once again thank you for all the positive comments, much appreciated.

Beautiful model, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

The windscreen decal is very effective. Is it from the Nazca detail sheet?

Thanks, yes it is from the Nazca set. Their 737 detail up set is pretty good. The only thing I will change if I have to redo this kit is to use the Authentic Airlines cockpit window decal as I think they look a tad more realistic than the Nazca windows.

That's really nicely done, I also miss the 200 series 737 it's always been a favourite of mine it's just looks gorgeous with that layout and them engines always looked more attractive to me.

Lovely scheme , Tamyia white always looks grand :)