Hello Rob, what a brilliant selection you have there.

It was amazing to think that you modded the original so much and then were able to produce a resin copy. Is the mould re-usable? If so, you have got a great way of producing an aircraft that obviously means so much to you. I know you are improving for the next one, but if you can re-use the mould that would be a bonus (I do not know how these moulds work, or are they destroyed when you remove it?

All the best, and your love of the type really shows through here,

Ray

• Like 1

Hello Rob, what a brilliant selection you have there.

It was amazing to think that you modded the original so much and then were able to produce a resin copy. Is the mould re-usable? If so, you have got a great way of producing an aircraft that obviously means so much to you. I know you are improving for the next one, but if you can re-use the mould that would be a bonus (I do not know how these moulds work, or are they destroyed when you remove it?

All the best, and your love of the type really shows through here,

Ray

Hi Ray sorry for the late reply. Its cool that there has been a few people interested in these. The original mold is and is not useable. It has a few flaws to it due to me being given bad advice to use clay as a 2 part mold which I found unusable on this scale. The chap meant Modelling Clay as in Plasticine but I got mixed up.

This resulted in a parting line around the nose I was not happy with and had to fill with a little milliput. Not a bit deal really but not great either.

Another issue was the intakes. At the time I had made up the first B1 before I had considered molding the whole thing I had cut into the intakes the unique Boundary layer Bleed slots that are visible as black lines in the intakes in the pursuit of making the B1 and B2s did not have this. However I did not realize until after the mold process that this causes an air pressure differential when pouring the RTV down the intakes the air inside the Vulcan made and air bubble in the RTV which I only noticed at the very end of the process taking the original Vulcan out the mold. I then spent a few weeks re fitting just fitting some of my resin intakes to the mold making a playdoh cup around them and pouring more RTV on to extend the intake tunnels lost by the air bubble. Only then could I mold my Vulcans and sadly they have dislodged now so any Vulcan that might come out that mold would not have full intake detail which would be a pain for anyone to sort out.

Also the mold is not the easiest to use and I have since decided to do away with bottom fill molding as I am getting much better results from pour and cut molds.

So I hope soon to remold the existing 2 B1 masters I have but might wait till my Updated B1 is made as its not that far away and then hopefully a new better working mold will result and then once it does I am going to make as may of them as possible while the mold is young and hopefully get plenty of good castings. So as of now this Vulcan B1 is unique and probably always will be.

If you are interested please keep in touch as I have much planned and check out the Build here still on going :)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980168-gwh-early-vulcan-conversion-b1-b1a-b2-blue-steel-and-698-pit-road/page-9

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Alright, who's gonna shout 'Scramble'? Lovely set of Vulcans.

That is exactly what I was thinking lol

These would look great in a QRA diorama although I think that would take up quite a bit of space!

Marc

• Like 1

That is exactly what I was thinking lol

These would look great in a QRA diorama although I think that would take up quite a bit of space!

Marc

I love modelling the QRA pans I did one once on my build of XH535 there are some lovely items from Noys minatures now for that. I next want to make an RAF Hangar for them that would be cool :)

Hey Rob, great to see the love for the Tin Triangle shining through. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Very neat!

Cheers mate :)

Spectacular work Rob! I just love that line up. :thumbsup:

Cheers

John

Cheers John glad you approve ;)

Hey Rob, great to see the love for the Tin Triangle shining through. Brilliant!

Hey thanks very much you had a glimpse of her last year when I was wondering if I should pursue this resin stuff. Cheers for you drawings with the other drawings and research I have Its helping put together a better model I hope. Got version 8 and a bit on the go now and I am happy how its progressing. :)

That is a tremendous little Vulcan Rob (well, lots of tremendous little Vulcans really!), excellent work indeed! The Corgi u/c looks a bit clunky, but I'm sure you have plans to sort that out!

Lovely little V bomber!

keith

Thanks Keith It is nice to have them in a line. The Corgi wheels are a bit chunky but at least they are strong. Be nice if all kit gear was made with ABS plastic.

They are actually more accurate than the kit parts in some regards, And yes I have already worked on the gear, I made up masters for the B1 wheels and a longer B2 leg (kit one is too small and I suspect the rear ones sit too deep, ) Last year and need to mold them up. Must do that soon

Great stuff Robster...all that effort is certainly paying off. Soon have a sea of V-Bombers flooding the BC tables, (might just have to get an additional one to tack on the end, or start a separate group within BC.........splitters !)

Thanks Andy, Well its all your fault. In 2012 you said to me "I look forward to your B1 conversion" Back then I had not a clue where to start and had ZERO intention of doing such a thing I did not even think it was possible.

Then you showed me them Drawings and my eyes lit up, Then curiosity messed with me and now I have achieve one of my biggest dreams so I owe you big time !

I look forward to seeing your build Progress :)

Cheers mate :D

• Like 1

My pleasure Rob, well you can't have enough V-Bombers can you ! You've come a long way with the casting in a very short time which is very impressive, (I really must get the little B.1 finished :banghead: )

Yes you must especially as you thrown the kitchen sink at it and took it further still which reminds me your still waiting on the legs I really must mold them up soon. I did make a set a while back start of last year remember. Just wonder where I put them in the many tubs of bits I have.

• Like 1

My pleasure Rob, well you can't have enough V-Bombers can you ! You've come a long way with the casting in a very short time which is very impressive, (I really must get the little B.1 finished :banghead: )

Oh and Thant re the compliments on the resin. Seeing as these are all my first attempts in resin im happy with it. Spent many years reading learning and wondering since 2010/1 when I joined here one of my first convos was asking about resin castings.

Never knew what fun it would be. Messy affair though. But rewarding on a big way.

• Like 1

What a fantastic collection of Vulcans. I havn't looked at much other than B of B GB stuff in the last couple of months but these really caught my eye. Well done, how many have you got now?

Cheers

John

Hi John , Thanks glad you like them. As for how many Vulcans I have, well I need to do a count but it's over 50 now in various scales and there's plenty in the build stage. crazy I know :)

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

I like those!! :thumbsup:

Cheers Keef it's my first time trying a paper bacground curved under the dio board against the wall and I can't believe its taken in my room.

Looks better just walking past it now. I think I might paint the entire Room like sky :)

• Like 1

Amazing work there Rob - nothing less than your normal exceptional Vulcan standards.

Cheers mate glad you approve :)

Did that myself once Rob. Unfortunately the missus didn't like the clouds so I had to repaint it overall blue..!! :chair::D

Well its close enough. I actually would love to do a room out with that weird esoteric dream state imagery of suns moons and stars with faces and blue skys that blend to deep blue night skys where it appears day and night are together as one and a little early imagining of a Rocket in the mix . But I guess I will have to stick with magnolia !

• Like 1