1/72 Lockheed EC-121R "Bat Cat"

Balloo

Hi folks,

this is my second GB with Britmodeller. I am looking forward to the contest.

As the title says, I would like to contribute a Lockheed reconnaissance plane form the 60s.

I give my best to let it look a bit like on that picture:

IMG_1957_zpsfs9oiv9e.jpg

photo courtesy: U. S. Air Force photo KE 35179

So, if anyone out there is the real Lockheed Constellation crack and finds something going terribly wrong with my built, please let me know. I am always open to feedback.

• Like 8

I will be using the old Heller kit. It has some issues, but most of them can be overcome.

f16eb977-57a3-49f9-aac9-d2c629f6471f_zps

The inside of the box looks as tidy as the outside apart from the two large fuselages:

IMG_1554_zpspmay2ryc.jpg

• Like 1

I will be using some aftermarket parts:

First of all, ExtraTechs excellent etched parts. I have been using them before and they have a good fit.

IMG_1558_zpsg7dwatyf.jpg

Secondly, HaHen's brilliant representation of the Conny's engines:

IMG_1560202_zpsva7jbuqo.jpg

Wolfpack provides the decals for the GB.

IMG_1559%201_zpshtxmeg5z.jpg

PlusModels provided me with a nice set of dropped flaps:

IMG_1557_zpsjjixpzh2.jpg

And finally AeroClub with a set of legs, as the Conny will be rather heavy on her feet. But I don't know, if I will use them in total.

IMG_1561_zpsomnu4men.jpg

• Like 3

As mentioned before, I am really looking forward to the GB. Somehow I need a kick in the... from time to time to finish something. The last built with Britmodeller was an inspiration.

Ah by the way, I have been tackling a 1/72 Conny before, so I know a bit of the deficiencies of that particular kit:

IMG_1555_zpsanvqlbln.jpg

Another kit on the shelf of shame.

Not many things to do, but it rests on top of the shelf and keeps looking so angry at me.

IMG_1556_zpszxoeuguw.jpg

Wishing all of us a good hand in the GB.

Balloo

• Like 3

@Procopius:

Thank you very much. If you really should get the opportunity to ask for hand's on information, I would have a few question concerning colors and basically the arrangement in the aft of the plane. That would really be helpful.

@Lain: Yes, I know the shark mouthed Conny. It looks really amazing.

@all: Thank's for the support.

Thank you very much. If you really should get the opportunity to ask for hand's on information, I would have a few question concerning colors and basically the arrangement in the aft of the plane. That would really be helpful.

My friend's dad says: "Glad to do it. The Super Connie was a fun airplane to fly. I have around 1,200 hours at the controls." I'm also trying to extract some of his "There I Was" stories. Apparently he was at Korat from 1970-1971.

• Like 2

Re: the sharkmouth, Mr. Andrus says : "The shark mouth Connie was painted that way because we got a new Wing Commander. He thought we were back in WWII and had "his" own plane painted with the shark mouth, his wife's name and Wing Commander stripes painted on it. I flew it a couple of times. Somebody ratted him out up the chain of command and I think someone up there wasn't happy. He also wanted all of us wear six foot long scarves with our rank and crew position on them. Maybe he wanted us to trail them out the cockpit window while taxiing. Don't know what happened to mine."

• Like 3

At one time I had seriously considered doing my 'Willie Victor' Connie as a 'Bat Cat' but I just couldn't see doing all those blade antennae and the masking for the SEA camouflage, although I think it looks brilliant in that scheme. Best of luck with yours! I shall be following the build.

Regards,

Jason

Thank you Gentleman for your interest in that subject. I hope I will be able to meet the expectations.

@Procopius:

Please leave Mr. Andrus, my compliments. It is really great to have a former crew member sharing his experience.

On the picture below, could you please ask him to identify the two sections in the green and red circles?

The index just says #14 is the "Aft Seats"

and

#21 is "Table and Benches"

I have found a photo of what could be #21, but I have no clue as how #14 looks in real.

EC-121R%20Interior_zpsm8yx5xyy.jpg

photo courtesy: USAF Technical Manual EC-121R

Next thing colors:

If you get the chance, please ask Mr. Andrus, if he still can recall the colors of the cockpit instrument boards. I have seen pictures with nearly black, dark grey and light grey boards. Maybe he still remembers it after all the years.

The same goes for the seat cushions: I have seen red, orange, dark green, light grey. Maybe your source could chop in with an idea.

I know, it is asked a lot. But when do we get a chance to ask for hand's on information?

Thank you very much in advance.

Balloo

P.S.: I am remembering a few "war stories" I have heard, when I was in pilot's training and later on the line. It's sad, that all those old story tellers are already retired. Nowadays I here stories from the right seat, that start with: ...back then at the flying school, there was that guy...

Will do. In the meantime, more from Mr. Andrus:

"The BatCat mission was following movement up and down the Ho Chi Minh Trail. This was done by a series of ADSIDs. These were either acoustically or seismically activated by vehicle or personnel movement. We could monitor the ADSIDs or the information was relayed via Hi Frequency data links to a computer in NKP, Thailand. Supposedly each ADSID (there are examples in the American War Museum in Hanoi) were equipped to blow up if they were disturbed. One night the Combat Information Control Officer (CICO) in the back of the plane invited me to listen to an interesting event. We could hear what sounded like a shovel in dirt, followed by a loud clang and then the sound of a truck driving away. The signal from the ADSID slowly faded. So much for self destruct.

"Of course in the infinite wisdom of somebody, the antenna for the ADSID was green plastic formed to look like a bush trunk. Then they sprayed the area with Agent Orange and the only thing green was the antenna to the ADSID."

• Like 2

Balloo, Mr. Andrus replies:

In my copy of the -1 manual, number 14 is an aft bunk. At http://www.westin553.net/batcat09.htm#ec121rDetailsthere are color photos of the interior of the aircraft and color pictures of the instrument panel. Seats were a light gray as were the walls.

@Procopius:

Please give a BIG Thank You to Mr. Andrus. That was helpful.

I have found looked the westin553 site up and down before. It is a really good source of information.

So no more excuses, will be starting work on the Constellation.

@Tom, Jason and all the other supporters:

Thank you. Wishing all of us, a good hand in the work to come.

• Like 3

I still want to do mine as a Vietnam War version, either a Navy 'Willie Victor' (from the original designation of 'WV-2', I believe), or an Air Force EC-121 in a boring, but easy to do overall light grey scheme. I'm afraid that I'm afraid of that SEAC scheme on something as big as a Connie in 1/72nd scale. Too much masking!

Regards,

Jason