1/72 Heller Gazelle

I've recently ordered some various diameter brass tubing but I think the minimum I ordered was 3mm, possibly 2mm. But it would be quicker for you to order your own anyway as I'm not at home. Which reminds me!!!! Arrrrgh, aerial (brush bristles) really sorry. Got sidetracked at home... If it's too late by the time I'm home then a couple of bristles from a fan brush will do. That's if you have a fan brush?

I'm pretty sure I have some suitable plastic tube for the missile tubes. I do have a fan brush but the bristles are pale brown. IIRC you coloured yours black with a sharpie? I'll have a closer look at it tonight. The forward aerial is a long way off anyway.

• Like 1

Tonight I have managed to get some pre-tea time modelling done. I located some suitable tube for the missiles and thought this would be a good opportunity to try out a new modelling tool for the first time - this guillotine contraption from Micro-Mark:

P1110355_zpszfa1zdym.jpg

The stop was set using the kit part as a guide and the cut made:

P1110356_zps8s1a97ul.jpg

As I sort of expected the results were OKish, the tube squashed a bit and the cut was at a slight angle:

P1110358_zpscpdrua4d.jpg

My verdict is that this tool is worth having - just about.

I was soon in mass production mode and four tubes were made with just a bit of fettling on the ends required. Now, I know we said we were only going to have two launcher tubes, and I'm still leaning that way, but making all four means I will have the option to decide later on adding two or four (such as if the rails are not up to the glare of full public exposure). Note that the kit parts are not terribly circular in section and this was one of the several reasons for electing to go down the scratch building route:

P1110359_zpsoaddqe0x.jpg

I found some 1.5mm diameter rod to close off the tube ends but it was a slightly lose fit so packed it out with some short lengths of clear tape:

P1110360_zpshse5vytl.jpg

Those were cropped to length with my guillotine tool (which worked rather better on solid material). Oblique lighting was essential to get the rod positioned correctly in the tubes:

P1110361_zpstznkutg4.jpg

A touch of liquid poly permanently fixed things in position.

Although my researches have shown there are several designs of tube and rails, this is the sort I am aiming for:

tow-missile-gazelle-cabine.jpg

Now I have to add some flat strips to the undersides I think.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

You have a guillotine now? Gulp

Yes, and I am prepared to use it. Probably best to step away now.

Aberdeen is the polar north....!!!

I know, I'm way further north than Moscow, I will have to have a word with my pal Igor.

• Like 3

Nice progress. I have a Northwest Shorline (NWSL) "Chopper II" guillotine and use it all the time. For styrene tubing, to help prevent squashing, just slide a styrene rod of inside the tubing. The other option is to cut the tube long and then sand it back. I've not tried the Micro Mark unit but they both work on the same basic principle the French have used since 1792.

• Like 2

Beautiful work Nigel!

I miss Aberdeen.....my mother was an Aberdonian and her sister married into the Donald family who used to own all the cinemas, theatres, etc...and the Dons of course! Many a happy summer spent between the rivers as a kid!

Ian

• Like 1

Here is another pre-dinner time update. I cut the strips for the underside of the missile tubes from some 0.4mm thick strip:

P1110367_zpslkgprufd.jpg

Got those glued on:

P1110368_zpsuuuncgcu.jpg

I then razor sawed off the side arms, the only part of the kit items that I will be using:

P1110369_zps14r4rydu.jpg

After some clean up I glued those onto the bases:

P1110370_zpshtvhqaoc.jpg

Next I think I should finish off making the PE rails but that is a job for tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Agree,

Just read this topic from page 1 to here.

Love the way you explain your building procces step by step.

Also the use of different materials to improve the kit.

Keeping in mind this only a 72 scale. So admiration fo your skills.

Wil follow this, succes with the build.

PS.

Concratulations with your awards.

• Like 1

Evening Folks,

Yesterday I went to see "The Martian" - very good it was too, right up my street. I also had to mow the lawns on the Heath estate (I have had to sack the surly gardener). Today I spent most of the day constructing a new workbench in the garage (knackering my back in the process) but tonight I have managed to get some quality time on my Gazelle build. My task was to install to T shaped arrangement on the rear of the missile platforms, as a reminder, this is what they should look like:

sa345_gazelle_hot_06_of_12.jpg

I started by drilling out the bases with a 0.4mm drill:

P1110372_zpsecqecy6u.jpg

Then I fabricated the T piece using 0.3mm tube for the top of the T and 0.3mm rod for the rest:

P1110373_zpscratidlu.jpg

You would struggle to pick out that I have used tube there but I assure you this is the case and I think it will be just about discernible on the finished model. Here are the first two installed using the kit part as a template:

P1110374_zps27lue8za.jpg

Next I got the other two done:

P1110375_zpszc13ka4k.jpg

I even got a second PE rail made and installed using the first as a maser:

P1110376_zpsfl51pms9.jpg

I know it is only modest progress but I hope you liked it.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 15