Pre shading with marker pen

moaning dolphin

Good morning One and all

Just wondering if any of you guys out there have tried pre shading with a permanent marker as opposed to spraying a dark colour along panel lines. My trusty airbrush can't spray very thin lines (last time I tried I just coated the whole kit in black paint!) so I pondered on drawing in the lines with a thick marker then overcoating. Has any one tried this and what results did you get from which paint, would be interested to know before I embark on a experimentation ride.

Cheers now

Bob

This comes up from time to time - Markers often have chemicals that cause them to bleed through your paint after the fact. It could happen immediately or gradually, but it will come through as it reacts with the chemicals in your paint. The only option would be to try a Gundam paint marker, but make sure you give it only a very thin layer, or it'll show through the final paint job as a raised area. :hmmm:

The no-expense spared option would be to get a better airbrush, or a smaller needle set to obtain finer lines. Practice might also be a slightly lower cost option too ;)

• Like 3

Thanks for the insight. I did think if it worked then a lot of people would probably be doing it! but my suspicions have been confirmed, I may just shelve that idea

The no-expense spared option would be to get a better airbrush, or a smaller needle set to obtain finer lines. Practice might also be a slightly lower cost option too ;)

I shall run that one past SWMBO, I shall start big (ie a better airbrush) and see where that gets me (not very far is what I am thinking lol!)

Cheers all

Bob

I saw a guy on here who used pastels for pre-shading. He sealed them with a Klear coat before painting.

I suppose you'd call that pastel post-shading, and it is Neil (Woody37) that uses that technique (whether he invented it or not, I dunno), and having seen it IRL on his models, it's very effective :)

I shall run that one past SWMBO, I shall start big (ie a better airbrush) and see where that gets me (not very far is what I am thinking lol!)

Even if you can get a smaller nozzle such as a .25 or .2, it might well help you get neater lines, as will practice. My hands shake a bit, so I don't tend to do pre-shading, but my slightly wobbly grip helps with modulating the colours using different shades afterwards ;)

As well said by others better avoid marker pens. If you can't use your airbrush, then you're better off using a small brush. The advantage of using an airbrush is that the lines arr feathered and these when covered give a better effect. A brush would result in sharper lines... however a marker pen would lead to sharp lines anyway so why not try a brush ?