1:72 gannet -what's best

Darth Vader

The current Revell seems to be the best on the market...........Trumpeter has the wrong profile at the end of the fuselage by the radar bin, it shouldn't be "square".............if you want cheap folded wings, then it has to be airwaves/hannants at £6.30 and a lot of cutting, sanding and patience..........resin folded wings are £21.00..............check out Hannants for all options and accessories

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?search_direction=asc&search=fairey%20gannet&scale_id=956

• Like 2

Revell and CMR both pooched the rear end, Revell's is too wide and far too squared off around the deck hook.

CMR's tapers too sharply from the radome to the hook.

I say CMR because the Trumpeter kit is a part for part rip off of CMR's kit.

I believe there is a post in here written by my daughter that discuss's the shape issue with the Revell kit

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60338-revells-gannet/?hl=gannet

Edited by NAVY870

The Revell kit is probably the best value Gannet out there but ...

... having built one I can vouch that the fit tolerances are zero, very fiddly and tight joins. If you get a coat of paint on mating surfaces then nothing will fit. Mind you, gobs of detail for your money though I'm not sure if it's accurate detail

Folding the wings ... well, I wanted to do that with mine but after my struggles with the assembly I decided to bypass that trauma :)

Neil

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

I believe there is a post in here written by my daughter that discuss's the shape issue with the Revell kit

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60338-revells-gannet/?hl=gannet

A particularly informative thread backed up by photos of the real thing. A must for any Gannet builder. Deserves to be pinned.

PS Hope Danni is well and enjoying life.

The Revell kit is probably the best value Gannet out there but ...

... having built one I can vouch that the fit tolerances are zero, very fiddly and tight joins. If you get a coat of paint on mating surfaces then nothing will fit. Mind you, gobs of detail for your money though I'm not sure if it's accurate detail

Neil

I binned my Revell Gannet as I couldn't get the fuselage halves to mate over the cockpit parts. Don't think it was excess coats of paint as the gap was in the order of 4 or 5 millimetres - even butchering the bulkhead walls and hours of sanding I couldn't get it mate properly. :weep:

• Like 1

I binned my Revell Gannet as I couldn't get the fuselage halves to mate over the cockpit parts. Don't think it was excess coats of paint as the gap was in the order of 4 or 5 millimetres - even butchering the bulkhead walls and hours of sanding I couldn't get it mate properly. :weep:

Same with me, caused me the most grief of the whole build. I reckon it was down to the complicated interior and numerous bulkheads. Yes ... :weep: me too.

Actually, did you save the canopies? For some bizarre reason I had one canopy missing so I had to buy another kit just for it, revell coudln't supply a replacement. Would willingly take it off your hands for a few sheckels ...

Didn't think that mattered as the original question didn't specify which mark of Gannet. It's still a Gannet, so it's a valid question - What about the Sword Gannet?

thanks

Mike

Good reply ,yes what about the sword gannet, Looks nice

I ain't really bothered which Gannet, it's to go with my Vixen and Venom.

It's the folded wings I like.( is that weird?)

Didn't think that mattered as the original question didn't specify which mark of Gannet. It's still a Gannet, so it's a valid question - What about the Sword Gannet?

thanks

Mike

Quite true Mike.

The Sword AEW looks very nice in the box(well,I've fingered and licked it)but I've not really studied it too

closely yet.

Agree that the stiffeners look a bit too beefy though.

The only thing is,our man wants folded wings,he ain't going to get 'em with the AEW without some aftermarket either.......

Same with me, caused me the most grief of the whole build. I reckon it was down to the complicated interior and numerous bulkheads. Yes ... :weep: me too.

Actually, did you save the canopies? For some bizarre reason I had one canopy missing so I had to buy another kit just for it, revell coudln't supply a replacement. Would willingly take it off your hands for a few sheckels ...

Sorry, I don't have it anymore - I think I donated it to a friend at the time (along with a second, unstarted, gannet kit when I decided to drastically downsize my stash)

• Like 1

revell coudln't supply a replacement.

Actually they could. Their customer service is not the best, but eventually they deliver.

In my case it was about 6-7 weeks. One of my canopies was not missing, but broken in halves (those things are paper thin).

After my inquiry, they simply denied my request, because I was asking for a part from a kit which they no longer sell (ie the older boxing with german machine on boxart). F/O, have a nice day.

I politely pointed out they still offer an identical kit with different decals (that white-orange training machine) and sent them a link to it on their own website. I got no reply at all. After about two weeks I pressed on, they replied with a complaint, I didn't send them my address!! (I didn't because nobody asked for it, they didn't even confirm they are really going to send me something...)

Again, no reply or confirmation, after several more weeks, just as I was ready to send them something again, not-so-polite anymore, I found the canopy in my mailbox, nicely packaged :)

Btw in the process nobody asked me for any proof of purchase or photos of the damaged part etc.

So, be nice but persistent and eventually you will reap your reward :D

• Like 1

Wow, patience of a saint! However after numerous tries and err ... lets see ... it's been10 months now, still no joy but I have a cunning plan, I'll wait until it's re-released and target them again :)

Actually they could. Their customer service is not the best, but eventually they deliver.

In my case it was about 6-7 weeks. One of my canopies was not missing, but broken in halves (those things are paper thin).

After my inquiry, they simply denied my request, because I was asking for a part from a kit which they no longer sell (ie the older boxing with german machine on boxart). F/O, have a nice day.

I politely pointed out they still offer an identical kit with different decals (that white-orange training machine) and sent them a link to it on their own website. I got no reply at all. After about two weeks I pressed on, they replied with a complaint, I didn't send them my address!! (I didn't because nobody asked for it, they didn't even confirm they are really going to send me something...)

Again, no reply or confirmation, after several more weeks, just as I was ready to send them something again, not-so-polite anymore, I found the canopy in my mailbox, nicely packaged :)

Btw in the process nobody asked me for any proof of purchase or photos of the damaged part etc.

This is pretty much a carbon copy of my experience! A canopy folded flat in half. Request for a new one. Told the don't do the kit anymore. Request for T4 canopy. Wait 8 weeks and then it arrives! Saved me bining the kit, and coincidently its on the bench very near completion now. As others have mentioned the kit doesn't come without its flaws, I've heard of a lot of people relegating it to the shelf of doom.

thanks

Mike

Mine went together not too bad but I suspect the nose/cowling to fuselage join will take care, substantial filler and a not a little sanding (and possibly a few oaths) I've got the airframe together to this point fairly straightforwardly. I'm not a rivet counter or tape measure fiend and it looks like an AEW3 to me so I am happy. It's sitting waiting for me to finishe my BoB GB Hurricanes but so far it's been a good model and one I've always wanted.

There isn't any facility to fold the wings so I can't comment. I also don't know if the wings are the same as an AS4, etc. but others will. I would think it would be a fair old job to convert to folded but the Airwaves etch should help.

Oh and the stiffening strips on the wings and fuselage needed sanding down as they are too prominent. They look fine sanded down and under a coat of Sky on the underside and fuselage sides at least.

I have both the Sword AEW kit and the Revell T.5 and the wings are different.

The AEW has a straight leading edge and the T.5 has a cranked leading edge. I was going to try and use the Revell wings on the sword kit a the detail is finer, but can't due to the difference in wing shape. Only found out after I bought the Revell versions, I bought two, planning to build one as an ASW variant and the other to donate the wings, canopy etc as replacements for the Sword kit. I thought it was only the rear fuselage that was different, but the AEW is a completely different machine altogether, it just looks 'similar'. I did only pay £5 each for them so it's no great loss, just means I can have an AEW, an ASW and a T.5

Al