G.W.H. Victor B2 Prototype Pit Road Cyberhobby 1/144

robvulcan

Good progress so far Rob, sorry, only just catching up with a few builds here.......remember if there's anything you need to know, just ask.

Cheers mate. Well if you have any photos of XH668 669 and can confirm any external differences we where discussing like the tail fin Possibly being a B1 style on 668. That would be cool also any suggestions on paint., Where the deeper parts of the intakes black, Any other details I may have not noticed and the black walkways on the wings seem to vary from victor to victor.

Cheers Rob :)

XH668 did indeed have a B.1 style fin and early pointed tail cone, (basically it was a modified B.1 fuselage) and at one point had the strange 'nostril' fairings fitted to the NACA ducts at the lower nose, (the right one having a baffle fitted) these were an attempt to reduce the loud buzzing noise caused by air resonating down the ducts at speed.

XH669 had the early shorter style lower fin intake fairing and also carried long black strips of different lengths along the length of the inner wing/fuselage join, the left one extending to the front lip of the intake. Neither aircraft carried fuselage serials but very much smaller ones were present on the entrance hatch windbreak. Both aircraft carried the long inverted 'L' shaped pitots mounted vertically under the nose.

The inner surfaces of the intakes were white/light grey all the way down...due to severe surging in the intakes the early B.2s had one dividing strake either side of the central dividing splitter in the intakes which was increased to 2 either side in later B.2's, (staggered arrangement). The cockpit glazing also included the two small windows at the forward end, ala B.1 which were plated over in all later aircraft also the nose pitots were the single tube type as carried on the Mk.1's..

As trials aircraft they were painted overall white including the radomes as no radar equipment was carried at that time.

That's about it ...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

XH668 did indeed have a B.1 style fin and early pointed tail cone, (basically it was a modified B.1 fuselage) and at one point had the strange 'nostril' fairings fitted to the NACA ducts at the lower nose, (the right one having a baffle fitted) these were an attempt to reduce the loud buzzing noise caused by air resonating down the ducts at speed.

XH669 had the early shorter style lower fin intake fairing and also carried long black strips of different lengths along the length of the inner wing/fuselage join, the left one extending to the front lip of the intake. Neither aircraft carried fuselage serials but very much smaller ones were present on the entrance hatch windbreak. Both aircraft carried the long inverted 'L' shaped pitots mounted vertically under the nose.

The inner surfaces of the intakes were white/light grey all the way down...due to severe surging in the intakes the early B.2s had one dividing strake either side of the central dividing splitter in the intakes which was increased to 2 either side in later B.2's, (staggered arrangement). The cockpit glazing also included the two small windows at the forward end, ala B.1 which were plated over in all later aircraft also the nose pitots were the single tube type as carried on the Mk.1's..

As trials aircraft they were painted overall white including the radomes as no radar equipment was carried at that time.

That's about it ...

Cheers Mate. Well I think this time I will go for XH669 seeing as its that one in the footage I love and gone to the effort of modding the tail. The Nostrils sound like a PITA in this scale.

Grey intakes I take it that’s the deeper tunnelling. I remember a victor or B1 maybe had black inside we were talking about . I will paint mine white as they will be in shadow anyways and look white in photos.

Regarding Intake stakes I notices early ones like XH670 seem to have 1 stake where 668 669 had none. Where Production ones built without and had them added later. It would be interesting to know as I am going to mold these intakes thinking it would be easier to add the stakes from plasticard later to get a better result and blend into the airframe.

As for the aerials I will sort them later and pitos with sewing needles and guitar string etc.

Hopefully have this one done for the table soon and I bring it with when I get chance to nip over.

Here's the front end of '668 Rob showing the modded 'nostrils', B.1 fin, serial on the wind break , the vertical pitot, extra forward windscreen windows and the intakes with their single strake either side of the central divider. Same went for XH669 minus the 'nostrils' and lower fin intake fairing of course...

Scan taken from one of my ancient magazine articles, for reference only.

img053_zps21hoq0qg.jpg

img054_zpswyghcjtn.jpg

Melchie

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 4

Here's the front end of '668 Rob showing the modded 'nostrils', B.1 fin, serial on the wind break , the vertical pitot, extra forward windscreen windows and the intakes with their single strake either side of the central divider. Same went for XH669 minus the 'nostrils' and lower fin intake fairing of course...

Scan taken from one of my an ancient magazine article for reference only.

img053_zps21hoq0qg.jpg

img054_zpswyghcjtn.jpg

Melchie

Very intersting I rememver ages ago we started looking at these way back before Milton Keynes. I see this one has the slats and m guessing these where added later. I hope I got it right for 669 however I think my intakes when smoothed out and molded will be good to add stakes with plasticard and gator glue and paint over for a clean look and options for variants.

What I notice that is intersting is the two intake housings under the intakes you know the ones Matchbox made as two separate units rather than blended (Pit road made the same mistake) are absent, not sure what they are called. Looks like they are absent from 669 too, wonder what else is different !

How about the actual tail plane bullets front and rear and aerials there

Rob :)

Rob, the two double fairings under the air intakes are oil coolant radiator intakes and weren't fitted to the prototypes. The tail bullet and rear end were the same as the B.1, no aerials fitted, the rear end was hollow with a small clear light fitted inside.

The engine intake splitters were fitted either side of the central divider on the prototypes from day one, they were never open like the Smaller B.1's only later were the others added to cope with the more powerful Conway Co.11's and 17's.

• Like 1

The engine intake splitters were fitted either side of the central divider on the prototypes from day one, they were never open like the Smaller B.1's only later were the others added to cope with the more powerful Conway Co.11's and 17's.

<<<<<<<<<<<< F5D9FF83-61C2-48D2-A316-507A77015921_zps

Yay for my plasticard and gator glue idea then !! Sigh the photos I had looked like what I thought but as always the photos turn up AFTER the action is taken.

Part of the Game ain't it :)

• Like 1

Well I was thinking of looking at that or scratching one from drawings the corgi one with a rescribe and tidy up would look well...

Rob,isn't there a Blue Steel in the Welsh Models vac Vulcan kit I sold you? Or is my memory playing up again?! If you ever do a resin one & are looking to sell one or two, let me know...!!

Looking forward to watching this progress, the three 'ickle V Bombers are on my ''plan'' for next year!

Keith

• Like 1

Fraid so........I think I'll have one of those for my headstone !

Well its done now. I see this is how the Resin Intakes are for the 1/72 and its that which has likely led me astray. HAHA be a great head stone that. Bit grim though. :)

Rob,isn't there a Blue Steel in the Welsh Models vac Vulcan kit I sold you? Or is my memory playing up again?! If you ever do a resin one & are looking to sell one or two, let me know...!!

Looking forward to watching this progress, the three 'ickle V Bombers are on my ''plan'' for next year!

Keith

Hey Keith nice to hear from you and I need to crack on with that Vulcan I cut the parts out. Might have a blue steel but I may well scratch one as it cant be that hard to do.

Good you want to do Ickle V's I hope soon it will be easier to do the early stuff.

Don't you have a spare Corgi one to use as a master ?....

I see this is how the Resin Intakes are for the 1/72 and its that which has likely led me astray

Ah I see, the FP ones have small stubs in there for easy placement of the plates, they just slide in over them, could you do the same with this one?, (if you look at the Bentley drawings all is explained)....

• Like 1

Don't you have a spare Corgi one to use as a master ?....

Ah I see, the FP ones have small stubs in there for easy placement of the plates, they just slide in over them, could you do the same with this one?, (if you look at the Bentley drawings all is explained)....

I do have a Corgi Blue steel somewhere yes.

These intakes had nice markers but I have sanded them off now ahaha. At least I have the drawings. I may scribe a faint line and make up some slats that are mounted on a block that can be used in whatever quantity for whatever version. Then any scribed lines can be easily hidden with a little MrSurfacer and meshpaddled away

I actually picked up 2 more of these Victor kits for a £10er each the other day. So I may use these for something else ;)

Edited by robvulcan

, (if you look at the Bentley drawings all is explained)....

JUBILATION ! your right my blunder turned out to be a good thing the Prototype ones have the slats centrally mounted (Thought there was something different about them on 668) The drawings show this. Lucky that :) and still the intakes with separate slats will be useful for future builds.

F939CBBF-5CB8-4AFA-A8F5-200ED88D3235_zps

I got the fuselage together. Just need to add the airbrake doors. I am having them closed but its nice they give the option to deploy them in this scale with a detailed interior too.

E4F9FCED-38F4-4227-8191-D05606F5E6EE_zps

Here is a Comparison with the Kader Victor

2133A876-5999-4A7F-A366-45C2E1186AF5_zps

• Like 1

Halleluja.......

By George I think the boy has got it !

The old Kader/Lincoln doesn't look so bad in comparison does it...

So I may use these for something else ;)

How about a Victor B.2 PMC.......(Patrol Missile Carrier), nice little conversion jobbie, but you'll need four Skybolts, new triple axle undercarriage, wings and intakes.................(if you don't do one then I certainly will :winkgrin: )...

• Like 1

Halleluja.......

By George I think the boy has got it !

How about a Victor B.2 PMC.......(Patrol Missile Carrier), nice little conversion jobbie, but you'll need four Skybolts, new triple axle undercarriage, wings and intakes.................(if you don't do one then I certainly will :winkgrin: )...

Yes that "Basic" Education got me through in the end by a Cats Whisker !

Well Skybolts are on the horizon for me I must buy one of them B-52s with them in :) , Once I have the intakes cast I will send you some and look forward to the skybolt Victor, If you do that I will do XH537 and a B3 too :)

• Like 1

Yes that "Basic" Education got me through in the end by a Cats Whisker !

Well that's better than a Gnats Gna**er.....

Try and get hold of the old Crown BUFF H's (also released under the Minicraft/Revell banner),...I got one for my Skybolt VC-10, not bad renditions really......

Look forward to seeing the castings..

• Like 1

Yeah.... A long LONG term project, 1:48 Vulcan made of card (see link in signature should you so desire), I am hoping to include every single bit of ribbing and structural pieces (with maybe a bit of artisitic license regarding specific dimensions of certain areas). Main features to include- "functional" landing gear, opening cockpit door, cutaway panels, complete fuel tanks and lines, "functional" moving bomb bay, blue steel missile as a side project, moving control surfaces. Plus two small details which I'm working on as we speak (although not as fast as i would like, just started sixth form) moving arm rests and of course the emergency life raft folded and tucked away under the canopy! :P

Est. completion date: Feb 2016 ???

Sam

Just had a look at your Card Vulcan that looks amazing ! well done indeed some hard work that and Talent going on :)

• Like 1

Just had a look at your Card Vulcan that looks amazing ! well done indeed some hard work that and Talent going on :)

Thanks! :D I could do it better-such as using ribbing structures instead of a solid bulkhead for the rear cockpit section.

Thanks,

Sam

• Like 1

No it don't I have started work on the Kader too and thought I would put them together to show how they fare. The answer is very well I think. I hear that this Victor is Under 1/144 however it fits the drawings where comparable exactly but it is smaller because its a B1/ Prototype the nose looking shorter however not by much as its nearly the same length as the Pit Road. I think it is smack on 1/144 just represents the smaller early Victors.

Whatever it is Kader / Hawk / Lincoln International did a splendid job on the beast.

I have just got them dry fitted together at the mo but the Fuselage on both is glued and I have been tidying up the join lines and painted the interior black.

A045EB4B-1C7D-4F49-A223-A92EA6BCD244_zps

73FB1D77-20EF-4069-8E6D-1B953C4DC5A7_zps

• Like 5

Fitting the GWH tailplane to the Kader would look good as the sweep angles are a bit out on the latter, (much like the Frog Victor though that's easy to deal with as only the outer panels are too wide and can easily be sanded back) this one the whole thing is out...I used the Welsh models vac one on mine.......looking good old fella..

• Like 1

Fitting the GWH tailplane to the Kader would look good as the sweep angles are a bit out on the latter, (much like the Frog Victor though that's easy to deal with as only the outer panels are too wide and can easily be sanded back) this one the whole thing is out...I used the Welsh models vac one on mine.......looking good old fella..

Great tip and idea mate. I have a similar idea PM inbound :)

Scan taken from one of my ancient magazine articles, for reference only.

img053_zps21hoq0qg.jpg

img054_zpswyghcjtn.jpg

Melchie

That first photo just epitomises the other wordly space age charm of the Victor for me. Great image General M, thanks for posting it. I'll be looking forward to seeing this build develop Rob,

Cheers

Viv

• Like 1

• 6 months later...