G.W.H. Victor B2 Prototype Pit Road Cyberhobby 1/144

robvulcan

I have had this lovely kit for several months now I picked it up at Milton Keynes IPMS show and have been desperate to start it and not had the time. Today I have started this lovely kit and wish to make a model of the Prototype B2 this will mean deleting the wings carrots , tanks and trimming the leading edge modifying the tail fin and intakes.

I am using the Excellent article and Drawings by out very own Bill Clark from SAM August 2006.

4B5309FA-4BD4-4275-B48B-58696D39D254_zps

The Drawings are fantastic by Arthur L Bentley I wonder if there are Drawings for the B1 :)

D2B3C7A1-4395-4DF4-8BCD-9E8F3BF5A82B_zps

50E1C628-8E64-4D98-A4F5-9FA67AF5F423_zps

67C82F5E-0BEB-4844-B62C-B6C7DE999722_zps

51D0D724-1135-4E66-B432-375D3F63E3A5_zps

The initial B2 looked very elegant and similar to the B1 as I have made a model of XH533 the Prototype B2 Vulcan again being similar to the B1 I thought they would make a nice pair and I am fascinated with the early years at Farnborough.

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 4

Cool project, Rob! I will indeed be pulling up a chair and watching with interest :)

Looking forward to this rob.

I'm in for the long haul.

Matt

Good to hear and welcome pull up a chair and grab a cuppa :)

I added some plasticard layers to plug the gap on the tail area and set to work removing the slats from the intakes this has the added advantage of making filling and blending easier. Apparently the Victor in this original state howled like a vulcan but it was considered too noisey so in went the slats.

B618FF46-4BBA-47EF-8DF1-0C14091DE4F0_zps

9CD8BC69-2E90-45E0-A7F1-105D6767C3F0_zps

E7596D10-B43D-4A9E-85DB-BE4D07BFBDD8_zps

• Like 6

I look forward to watching this progress Rob, it seems to be a nice looking kit. I'm sure that it is going to look good alongside your Vulcans when it is eventually completed especially with the same effort that you always put into building those.

• Like 1

Oohhh, pulling up a chair you say? Wait for me! :D

This looks like it will be a cracking build indeed! I was rather fortunate enough to see the Bruntingthorpe Victor on Sunday and see her thundering down the runway, what a sight! Still deafened from the Lightning though... :(

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with the build-I've been looking at the GWH kits recently and I'm rather convinced now to get their Vulcan (if I can find one!)-currently working on the Vulcan's would-be successor: a 1:48 TSR 2

Sam

• Like 2

I have been looking forward to seeing someone build one of these for a while now as I have been debating whether to get the kit or not. I wish someone would do some anti-flash white scheme decals for the kit, there would be no debate then!

Martin

I look forward to watching this progress Rob, it seems to be a nice looking kit. I'm sure that it is going to look good alongside your Vulcans when it is eventually completed especially with the same effort that you always put into building those.

Hi John good to hear from you its been a while. Its a gorgeous little kit I actually went and ordered a few more. I cant wait to get this and the Vailiant finished the 3 together is a fantastic sight I think. I hope to throw a little TSR-2 in there too soon. I will be putting as much into these as the Vulcans and will probably end up making as many Victors as Vulcans now we have these little Bomber versions. :)

Oohhh, pulling up a chair you say? Wait for me! :D

This looks like it will be a cracking build indeed! I was rather fortunate enough to see the Bruntingthorpe Victor on Sunday and see her thundering down the runway, what a sight! Still deafened from the Lightning though... :(

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with the build-I've been looking at the GWH kits recently and I'm rather convinced now to get their Vulcan (if I can find one!)-currently working on the Vulcan's would-be successor: a 1:48 TSR 2

Sam

I really must get to Brunty I have not been since 1993/4 for the Big Thunder airshows which were fantastic ! Wish that airshow was still on.

Happy days indeed.

I would love to see a Victor again last time I saw one working was back then. Nowt quite like a Victor such a beautiful machine. I have never seen a Lightning working at all sadly I must put that right. I have an Ear issue at the moment so might have been good I was not there then again it might have sorted me out or equalized me haha.

The GWH kits are mavels and worth anyones time. Sure they have a few minor issues most would never notice or care about but on the whole a great way to get some nice models in a small space without being too small and Ideal for shows and Dioramas. The TSR-2 kit is awsome but the instructions are not great.

I have not built a Big Tsr-2 yet I hear they are a PITA but well worth it.

I have been looking forward to seeing someone build one of these for a while now as I have been debating whether to get the kit or not. I wish someone would do some anti-flash white scheme decals for the kit, there would be no debate then!

Martin

Alright Martin Well this will be the first of many for me and I want to model XH668 or XH669

I believe this is XH668 but not certain I am told by some they where Identical with no serial outside possibly on the wheel doors. But I here XH668 may have had the B1 tail rather than the Initial B2 tail but I cant find any photos or confirmation of this. So I am modelling what I see here.

xh668_zpswrkfo9na.jpg

Room for another chair? I'll bring the popcorn

Going to watch this one as I have a soft spot for V bombers

Al

Go for it make sure you share the Popcorn around though. ;) Your not alone having a soft spot for the V Bombers I am obsessed with the things.

:)

Little update :

More progress on the intakes I also ordered some Resin and RTV to clone these when I have finished tidying them up.

E7A50D9A-2381-4904-8DDD-9BEBD86EC70E_zps

Getting ready to chop the leading edges back to the Initial style and in the process of cutting the Carrots off. :)

97EAEECF-402C-453F-9C18-589DC7959234_zps

• Like 2

This is a very useful technique I picked up from a guitar Luthier for achieving perfect repairs to paint chips. After filler is applied.

Though here I'm just trimming down plastic. By wrapping tape over a flat blade or razor it allows you to cut to the profile of the surface just a fraction higher allowing minimal sanding and a cleaner result. It's certainly going to make this quicker :)

1A025110-1E02-4DD9-A00C-C8E41A12EC67_zps

907DB3BB-8785-4350-9A65-13EB77443F5B_zps

Great progress so far!

I can't help but noticing the Vulcan plan in the background :P Although slightly smaller to the 1:48 plans i've printed out (and foolishly taped together) and which are currently adorning my sofa

Sam

• Like 1

Great progress so far!

I can't help but noticing the Vulcan plan in the background :P Although slightly smaller to the 1:48 plans i've printed out (and foolishly taped together) and which are currently adorning my sofa

Sam

Wow your ambitious I would love to see what your doing with that !

Ah yes the Vulcan Plans are out too as I am still working on them too in between this and some other builds :)

Do wish someone would give us some 1/144 Blue Steels for this and the Vulcan!

I am actually working on that along with other resin parts Blue Steel stuff will come in time. But I have a feeling Pit Road and GWH may well have them planned for future releases of these kits. But still in time I hope to get to casting my Blue steel stuff.

Cool, not seen one of these built yet.

Cheers The Victor is most certainly cool. I am surprised to see that not many have been built yet as its been some months I have been away now. So hope to get this one done soonish.

A trip to Rhyl this weekend has rekindled my interest.

I have just started two Pitt Road Victors, a Pitt Road Vulcan and the Micro-Mir Valiant. All seem to be going together well.

I have another Victor on which I am considering fitting a Blue Steel from a Corgi Victor.

I look forward to following this project to make life easier for myself. I have already built two Vulcans, and they were a doddle.

The Valiant will be interesting, but it is better than I thought it would be.

• Like 1

I'm quite surprised also. I've seen a few Vulcans but not the Victor.

Well I guess the Vulcan has been out about 3 years now and this only came out 6 months ago with the amount of great releases we have seen of late I guess most modellers myself included are spoilt for choice :)

A trip to Rhyl this weekend has rekindled my interest.

I have just started two Pitt Road Victors, a Pitt Road Vulcan and the Micro-Mir Valiant. All seem to be going together well.

I have another Victor on which I am considering fitting a Blue Steel from a Corgi Victor.

I look forward to following this project to make life easier for myself. I have already built two Vulcans, and they were a doddle.

The Valiant will be interesting, but it is better than I thought it would be.

Well I was thinking of looking at that or scratching one from drawings the corgi one with a rescribe and tidy up would look well though my micro Mir Valiant I feel very bad about as I was sent a test shot but because I decided to make resin intakes for it (still on going) and got super busy with work it has stalled but I will return to it soon as I can. That said its not stalled because of the kit it's a great kit through it does have a few fit issue and shape issues but it's a valiant alright. As for the Victor and vulcan they are are sweet.

TSR-2 is worth it too but watch the assembly instructions they are miss leading :)

Back in the 80s used the Airfix Vulcan Blue Steel on my Matchbox Victor Bmk2 conversion, and scratchbuilt the little extras. It still pleases me.

Looking forward to seeing the Vulcan again at Southport.

Is it really eight years since I stood in its cockpit at Bruntingthorpe? Scary.

• Like 1

Back in the 80s used the Airfix Vulcan Blue Steel on my Matchbox Victor Bmk2 conversion, and scratchbuilt the little extras. It still pleases me.

Looking forward to seeing the Vulcan again at Southport.

Is it really eight years since I stood in its cockpit at Bruntingthorpe? Scary.

I know it's scary where the time has gone suddenly I find myself very aware of what I considered time close

To the present, The 90s and realise it's 20 years ago, 2008 seems like yesterday as does the 80s oddly but the last 8 years in particular have zipped by I guess that's partly due to the stagnant economic times and the seeming sense of a loss of momentum in all areas of the world and life where before everyone was looking to the future and what's next it seems since concord landed human advancement has halted or gone backwards (I know it's the digital revolution and all that ) and since the Flying Scotsman which has broken every owner fiscally was adorned into the National Collection the country has been bankrupt.

Haha I wonder what the next 8 years has for us !

Rob :)

Update time. I have managed to get the fuselage together and its now setting. Then I can finish re-profiling the tail fin.

I chucked a load of MIlliput in and I hope it wont be a tail sitter I cant see it being myself.

3B7A26F7-0C2E-4BB5-B1BA-F9E099A7A385_zps

The cockpit is nicely done albeit simple but you cant really see anything in 1/72 so I am not gonna bother installing the and size man. I will paint it black in there and job done. I have just given this a spray with some halfords standard grey primer. I decided to give it a go after a disaster in 2004 I have not used it since but understand it was a bad year for them. I must say seems brilliant now and sprays beautifully.

E008A1A5-DE2D-4991-A3C2-C9210271AA11_zps

• Like 2

Wow your ambitious I would love to see what your doing with that !

Ah yes the Vulcan Plans are out too as I am still working on them too in between this and some other builds :)

Yeah.... A long LONG term project, 1:48 Vulcan made of card (see link in signature should you so desire), I am hoping to include every single bit of ribbing and structural pieces (with maybe a bit of artisitic license regarding specific dimensions of certain areas). Main features to include- "functional" landing gear, opening cockpit door, cutaway panels, complete fuel tanks and lines, "functional" moving bomb bay, blue steel missile as a side project, moving control surfaces. Plus two small details which I'm working on as we speak (although not as fast as i would like, just started sixth form) moving arm rests and of course the emergency life raft folded and tucked away under the canopy! :P

Est. completion date: Feb 2016 ???

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

Yeah.... A long LONG term project, 1:48 Vulcan made of card (see link in signature should you so desire), I am hoping to include every single bit of ribbing and structural pieces (with maybe a bit of artisitic license regarding specific dimensions of certain areas). Main features to include- "functional" landing gear, opening cockpit door, cutaway panels, complete fuel tanks and lines, "functional" moving bomb bay, blue steel missile as a side project, moving control surfaces. Plus two small details which I'm working on as we speak (although not as fast as i would like, just started sixth form) moving arm rests and of course the emergency life raft folded and tucked away under the canopy! :P

Est. completion date: Feb 2016 ???

Sam

WOW that sounds amazing and I had not noticed your signature I will check it out,. At least I am not the only one suffering from Vulcan and V bomber overload. Its a fun addiction :)

• Like 1