Armée de l'Air Hellcat 1/72 FINISHED

Misterfriend

OK here goes. I will be doing the Eduard 1/72 Hellcat in Armée de l'Air colours from the Indochina War. I haven't even cracked open the Eduard box yet, such restraint is almost unheard of, but I'm going to wait till the start day and then bust it open. The kit is pretty complete, I may be adding some ordnance from the spares box, depending what the bombs are like. Decals from Berna, pity they don't do a French navy option as I like the anchors on the cockade but there isn't much difference in terms of colour schemes, we have it gloss sea blue or gloss sea blue! I'll be weathering it a fair bit too. And I have disc with the Ailes de Gloire about the Hellcat, I'd rather have it as a book but it only seems available as a disc. The disc is awfully formatted and incredibly annoying, they have somehow made the book nearly 500MB in size and it's painfully slow to load. Other than that it has some lovely pictures!

Cheers

Segan

hellcat1_zps3t9bkmou.jpg

hellcat_zpsvg91tlht.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 4

Good morning Misterfriend

If you like anchors on roundels and want to build a Navy aircraft you can use this decal sheet https://www.scalemates.com/kits/172550-model-art-decal-system-72-026-grumman-f6f-hellcat-aeronavale-hawker-sea-hawk-faa-suez

Patrice

Ooh thanks for that Patrice, I hadn't seen that set before

Ooh thanks for that Patrice, I hadn't seen that set before

Hi Misterfriend

You re welcome

In 2011 I built an Italeri Hellcat in the markings of GC 2/9 Auvergne with the Berna Decals Sheet I will try to post the pics if I can find them ..

Cheers

Patrice

This a lovely little kit. Here's the contents of the box, well half the contents as a duel combo!

hellcat2_zpsce4qxuf4.jpg

Been working on the cockpit over the weekend and it's about ready to go into the fuselage. Last couple of PE levers to add to the instrument panel which I'll do just before I put it in as otherwise the levers will end up somewhere other than the panel! So far everything fits perfectly.

hellcat3_zpsdn0le5jj.jpg

• Like 8

WooYay! I actually have at least one wingy-thing that isn't pants! :yahoo:

Looking forward to seeing this one develop. :coolio:

My advice, is get it to the top of you're build pile! I've got 6 of them and I've built 2 so far - a stripy Hellcat Mk I and the Hellcat Mk II Nightfighter with cannons. Next up will be a bomb armed Hellcat Mk II before I start on the USN Hellcats. As others have said, these are really excellent kits - if only Airfix kits were as good as these.............

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Good afternoon Misterfriend

Very nice work but I am a little bit suprised by the green what reference did you use ?

Patrice

Thanks Patrice. The green is Modelmasters Zinc Chromate, it does look pretty bright in these shots but it's not as lurid in the flesh! It's a pretty spot on match for the Eduard painted PE that comes with the kit. But I have to say I'm no expert on US plane interior colours.

• Like 1

Been gluing plastic! Everything goes together very nicely, which was why I was so surprised to find one of the cowling halves bent out of shape quite badly. Attempted to bend it back but was starting to get stress lines on it. Luckily this is a Dual Combo kit and I just stole the piece from the other kit. I wont miss it as although there are two complete kits in the box, you have to build one F6F-3 (Mk.I) and one F6F-5 (Mk.II).

hellcat6_zpsu0p5lfl9.jpg

I'm doing mine with just rockets stubs, so I fashioned some of those out of some Evergreen stock. Drilled out gun barrels, the longer one will be chopped off and replaced with the 20mm cannon barrel later. Drilled out the exhaust stacks, only a little as a tricky angle to drill far. Chopped out the wing tip lights and will make my own, I really wish companies would supply wingtip lights, this kit has all the switches in the cockpit would it be too much of a stretch!

I had a idea of doing a slightly new (to me) method and I thought if I made a basic mould of the wingtip and then smash cast it with heated clear sprue. Unfortunately I thought of this after I had chopped out the lights but luckily this being a Dual Combo came to the rescue again and I clipped together the extra wing and made an impression of it in some Magic Sculpt. Then gently heated some clear sprue and shoved it in, then using a razor saw cut off the clear wingtip. Will still require some finessing but should be a little easier than carving it from a block of sprue.

Cheers

Segan

hellcat7_zpsjsgrpn7z.jpg

• Like 5

Polished up the wingtip lights, nice and shiny! Attached and drilled out the cannons, slightly worried that I'll break one of these off before completion, we'll see. Just about ready to attach all the main parts, minimal work needed on the seams. At this rate I'll be painting her this weekend! Unheard of rate of progress for me!

hellcat11_zpsxow13tdl.jpg

hellcat10_zpssd2tol7q.jpg

• Like 5

You are very brave to glue these cannons so soon!!!

Be gentle with them!!!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You are very brave to glue these cannons so soon!!!

Be gentle with them!!!

Have fun.

JR

I know! It's not ideal but the cannon and fairing are all one piece so better they go on before paint. It is a little worrying but so far, touch wood, nothing bad has happened!

So I was going along at a cracking pace but then work and life bought things to a crashing halt. Finally had some time to get back on it this week and got the initial coat of paint on. Gone for a slightly irregular finish as by this stage these airframes were a little long in the tooth and were starting to show their age. Using Xtracrylix gloss sea blue with a dash of Tamiya deck tan to lighten it, thinned with water and a drop of Liquitex retarder, essential as we are having a bit of a heatwave here at the moment.

hellcat12_zpsudgvflrp.jpg

hellcat13_zpsrbyivhdm.jpg

• Like 8