Academy 1 48 Messerschmitt Bf109 G6 - Completed!

giemme

Hi Giemme. That paintwork is looking great. The pre-shading is showing through very nicely. How are you thinking of doing the mottling?

Kind regards,

Stix

Cameo looks good

Rick

Cheers Rick, thanks! :thumbsup:

Hi Giemme. That paintwork is looking great. The pre-shading is showing through very nicely. How are you thinking of doing the mottling?

Thanks Stix! :thumbsup2: As for the mottling, I'm not sure yet: I'm going to try freehand on an old kit, but I'm also considering a cardboard template. Maybe I'll end up with a mix of the two

Ah, German Measles Giemme, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Splendid work so far mate :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks! :thumbsup2: I'm looking forward to it too, but I'll have to wait till tomorrow before I get back to this

Looks great G. You going to do the mottle free hand or use a template? Being a brush painter myself, the mottle proves elusive to me :banghead: so good luck with the next stage.

Thanks Greg! :thumbsup: See above for the mottling, I'll probably use a combination of the two, but I'm going first to try it on an old model, anyway.

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Giemme. With regards mottling - before I say anything else I need to state I have never done any - but I was wondering if it may work using stippling brushes and very thinned paint? When I was building the German tanks I thought at the time when I was applying the camo colours, using stippling brushes, that, to start with, it did look like mottled camo on planes. I thought even back then that if I were to build some WW2 German aircraft, I would have a way of doing the mottled camo. If you built it up thinly getting more layers towards the centre it may create the right impression. I know some have done it with airbrushes but that's not an option open to me. Anyway.....just a thought. Whatever way you chose to do it make sure you practice lots on something you're not worried about ruining!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Thanks Stix, that could be an option too! :thumbsup2:

... Whatever way you chose to do it make sure you practice lots on something you're not worried about ruining!

No worries, there's an old 1/48 F-16 awaiting to be tortured ... :whip:

Ciao

• Like 1

Nice work so far Giemme, airbrushing the mottle isn't as bad as it seems, just need a good paint mix and a gentle trigger finger on the airbrush. My G-6 and FW 190 are both on the RFI pages and both are mottled. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Nice work so far Giemme, airbrushing the mottle isn't as bad as it seems, just need a good paint mix and a gentle trigger finger on the airbrush. My G-6 and FW 190 are both on the RFI pages and both are mottled. :winkgrin:

Thanks Julian :thumbsup: Both your G-6 and FW190 are looking great :clap: ; my only doubt about airbrushing freehand the mottling is the scale effect. In 1/32 the soft edges you get look absolutely right, I want to see the effect on 1/48 though, hence my experimenting. The idea of spraying through a template is of somewhat being able to regulate those soft edges by keeping the template closer or at a distance from the model.

Anyway, tonight I should be able to do some testing, first of which will be freehand airbrushing; if it turns out half as good as yours, I'd be more than happy!!

Thanks again for commenting

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody; mottling, what a delight .... :hobbyhorse: I did a few test last night, and decided that using a template was not the way to go. I went for freehand airbrushing, instead, although I felt like Spiderman casting his webs, sometimes :banghead:

Before that: here's a pic with a quick dryfit of the propeller/spinner assembly in place

22402691337_625d6397bc_b.jpg

Back to mottling: here's my tortured and vexed F16

22199913883_a2622b018c_b.jpg

I started with RLM75

22402694418_16c7a13553_b.jpg

22198307624_c2ac4fa319_b.jpg

sprayed at a very low pressure (around 0.3, 0.4 bar), very thinned mix (IPA and Tamiya Flow Retarder), very easy on the trigger - although as I said I lost control a couple of times and had some annoying spider webs running around.

Then it was time for RLM74

22428885479_c02d3fc45b_b.jpg

22199907643_4b26212c62_b.jpg

Here I had a lot of trouble: I couldn't find a correct combination of thinning/air pressure (going from almost 0 up to 2 bar !!), I kept having paint running around (on the F16, of course). So I eventually tried thinning the base color (which was already quite a diluted mix) with cellulose thinner: that way I got a better flow control (but also got some occasional solid paint spitting :badmood: )

So I had to get around those mottles with some RLM76 to overpaint some of the webs

22821041055_988090b9aa_b.jpg

22199904863_18c875817f_b.jpg

That wasn't enough, so there was also some stippling brush involved (thanks again Stix for the tip :thumbsup:) but forgot to take photo of that.

So, what do you guys think? BTW, the kind of mottling I tried to reproduce is shown (sort of) here (photo posted only for modelling discussion purposes, will remove if asked for):

22402649558_7895d67344_b.jpg

Ciao

• Like 3

Giemme, nice work mate.

Looking at the reference pic you added, you are on the right track.

A lot of those measles are darker in the pic so I would not worry too much.

Remember that these schemes were painted in the field.

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup:

I'm not too worried about colors; it's hard to tell from a pic like that, not only because is B/W, but it's also taken in full sunlight and the definition isn't the best.

Anyway now he pan is to paint on the crosses and probably the numbers and the yellow tail band; after that I'll see if I want to add a few more measles (I like that word, really gives you the idea of what it looks like :D )

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Hi Giemme. For your first attempt at mottling I'd say that has turned out remarkably well - not that I ever doubted it wouldn't!! It all seems to tie in well with the rest of the paintwork. :thumbsup:

I do feel sorry for the F-16 though!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix, I'm glad you like it! :thumbsup:

I do feel sorry for the F-16 though!

I don't. It's a very old attempt at modelling, with lots of issues and and awful paint job. But serves very well as a test bench :winkgrin:

I like it Giemme, that looks good. The "mottle" takes quite a lot of effort to get a good result, probably the reason i haven't managed it :winkgrin:

Cheers Greg, thanks :thumbsup2: Mottling does take a lot of effort, I was literally sweating while airbrushing it, despite being in my garage at 16°C!! :jump_fire:

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi everybody: lots of photos for this WE report, although I feel like it was more of a setback rather than a progress ... :banghead:

Anyway, back to where I left it: here's a couple of pics after tidying up the mottling, plus some paint chipping on the wing leading edges and a thin Future coat:

22703646770_8dfbbb8e73_b.jpg

22473333698_fdf75dac99_b.jpg

So, I decided to cut my own masks for insignias and numbers, here's a quick sequence of how I do that; using Tamiya Masking Sheet (never learn from my mistakes ... but later for that :banghead: )

22703646240_9ec113be84_c.jpg

Next pic shows how I handle the mask prior to applying it to the model; this way it doesn't curl nor stick to itself

22499511409_b499d3c4cf_c.jpg

For this wavy pattern, I tried printing straight on the masking sheet, but the ink would come easily off, so I actually photocopied the decal sheet on regular paper, stuck a cut out of Tamiya sheet on top of the selected area and upon removal, got the pattern on it:

22499510379_10e7f3f5f6_c.jpg

So after cutting with an Exacto knife (should have used a sharper blade, again never learning from my mistakes :badmood: ), I placed the masks on the model

22891670375_3518fcba62_b.jpg

22268930584_cda0f456d7_b.jpg

22499523299_ba55fd5abb_c.jpg

22473310477_950b6ca33f_c.jpg

I then airbrushed a coat of off-white (Tamiya Flat White with a bit of Sky Grey) all over the masked areas; the crosses were then given a pure Flat White coat, while numbers and wavy patterns received a Flat Yellow one.

A this point, I thought it was a good idea to reproduce the black outlining of the yellow parts using a fine tipped marker:

22902811611_70e7050b3b_c.jpg

Then I masked the under-wing crosses to spray the black internal ones:

22878208672_15dcf8b3a8_c.jpg

What could possibly go wrong? :evil_laugh: Long list, I'm afraid .... let's see the pics first:

22270525013_142942cc9b_c.jpg

22270524423_52f866e6f1_c.jpg

Black outlining sounded like a good idea ... not when one manages to put a finger on top of it to hold the kit for marking the opposite side ... ink spread all over the yellow, respraying and all of that ... definitely messy! :badmood:

Plus the yellow paint leaked a bit underneath the masks, while the black ink just followed their edge :banghead::banghead:

But here's even worse:

22473308047_32af6af3b9_c.jpg

22891665855_7fea5ccb63_c.jpg

Basically Tamiya Masking Sheet is much thinner than regular Tamiya tape, and gets very wet when spraying a thinned paint mix (I don't like to spray thick paint when painting with masks, as you risk to get annoying edges along the borders). As it gets wet, it also starts lifting up, thus allowing the paint to leak underneath (forgot to mention that I had sprayed a Future coat on all the masks to seal them, before starting the actual painting - to no avail, as you can see).

I had the same problem in my recent Spitfire build, hence why I said I never learn from my mistakes ...

Bottom crosses, on the other hand, turned out not that bad:

22902808791_2e7e149b74_c.jpg

22499519099_642eaa8c1c_c.jpg

On with the touch-ups:

22270522103_92359bf5db_c.jpg

22891664035_eb862d0a54_c.jpg

22865693706_cc1d807018_c.jpg

22270520803_500e2a9060_c.jpg

I'm confident (but I should rather say: I hope) that after weathering and the clear coats, all those touch-ups will tie in properly ... fingers crossed!

Next pic is there just because I liked the pose:

22268923724_2919a8a8b6_c.jpg

Last bit of painting: the yellow band. I masked the wavy things using the cutouts coming from their masks:

22268922364_d9c9d937c7_c.jpg

22499515179_09da814c6e_c.jpg

This is needing some touch-ups too, but I'll do all the yellow parts in one time - just not now, I need to distract from this a bit

22473335938_731a19c8d9_c.jpg

22703648440_fb7781f427_c.jpg

22268920974_87313f6785_b.jpg

I might just as well decide to overlap the kit decals to the waves ...

Next post shows some work I did on the canopy

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 5

Canopy: I wanted to add some "structure", also to be able to properly fit in place the armored back plate, so I copied the canopy profiles with Tamiya tape and used them to cut some appropriate bits from the usual beer can:

22703650210_d2a5bea64c_z.jpg

22270519333_4393ea0d0f_z.jpg

Glued in place with tiny CA drops. I also added a small ring made out of copper wire, as an attaching point for the holding rope/cable that connects the opening canopy to the fixed one:

22878202442_67e5b8f6b9_z.jpg

Canopy and back plate received a coat of Tamiya German Grey - masking the canopy wasn't that easy, as the framing is molded on the inner side :chair::fight:

22865689546_9e8b832c7c_z.jpg

22473300757_a045eb8649_z.jpg

22878199832_d58fd00c79_z.jpg

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 7

Oh well Giemme, the trials and tribulations of masking and making ones own masks.....

It is something we try and master, some of us successfully , some of not ( I include me in the latter statement )

At the end of it, we see our mistakes and scream bad language but also learn too.

After all that, she is coming along nicely, the canopy work looked fun.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

• Like 1

At the end of it, we see our mistakes and scream bad language but also learn too.

Hopefully so ... :banghead: But even with all this trouble, I still prefer a "not so good" (read: bad) masking rather than the look of some declas - and I know for a fact that Academy's own decals are awful to deal with.

Thanks for commenting and for your support! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Hi Giemme

Looking good, shame about the black lining smudging and the paint under run on the masks, but you seem to have recovered well with the touching up. When I built my He-162 the numbers on the sides were painted using masks. I was going to paint the black outline using a slightly larger mask, but decided it was going to be too much trouble so didn't bother and just left them without the outline!

The mottling looks really effective too. Thanks for including a description of how you did it.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Al

• Like 1

Well despite the....er........problems it looks like good progress to me. I don't know how you have the patience to make the masks and do the spraying but (usually) they will look so much better than decals....and, once you've done the touching up and weathering, I'm sure they will be far better too.

Keep calm and carry on.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Giemme

Looking good, shame about the black lining smudging and the paint under run on the masks, but you seem to have recovered well with the touching up. When I built my He-162 the numbers on the sides were painted using masks. I was going to paint the black outline using a slightly larger mask, but decided it was going to be too much trouble so didn't bother and just left them without the outline!

The mottling looks really effective too. Thanks for including a description of how you did it.

Cheers Al, thanks! :thumbsup: The black outline is pretty evident on the real AC (see post #236 in this thread), so I couldn't just leave that off ... :shrug: Trouble now is that it takes longer to fix it, and I should have done it in a different way from the beginning

Well despite the....er........problems it looks like good progress to me. I don't know how you have the patience to make the masks and do the spraying but (usually) they will look so much better than decals....and, once you've done the touching up and weathering, I'm sure they will be far better too.

Keep calm and carry on

Thanks Stix! Masking is all about patience; even with this ugly result, to my eyes it looks better than an average decal - and since the kit's one are far below average, definitely better! I will fix the whole thing anyway, no way I'm going on with how it is now :hobbyhorse::fight:

Ciao

• Like 1