Ben Hut Adversaries - M48A3 Patton B Co. 1-69th Armour

Hi Sarge

Don't think I have the scrap model I raided the resin sandbags from anymore, but I will check the scrap box tomorrow for you.

I have some M60 Pattons spares but not sure if they cover the required bits. Wondering if the cupola might be the same though.

Will check and let you know.

Ben

Edited by badger

Just checked my part built revell M60A3 which I had forgotten about and sadly the cupolas are different.

Will check the spares tomorrow (need to go up into the attic!)

Ben

Hi Ben, the M60 had a different cupola.....If you still have the cupola riser and the air-filters from your old kit I reckon I'd be sorted. :pray:

I definitely need a set of air-filters now as one of the M48A5 parts had a slightly acetony accident while I was messing about with it and is no longer viable (or indeed, solid). :doh:

Hi Sarge

If worst comes to the worst italeri re released the correct version a couple of years back and there's plenty on ebay.

I'll do some digging as I know I kept a few bits

Ben

• Like 1

Phew you are right.....It looks like #7068 includes the B Sprue too! :yahoo:

It also appears to include decals for an M48A3 of 1st Battalion 69th Armour.....Guess who bought the wrong kit (again)! :blush:

See.....This is what happens when you step outside your comfort zone! :mental:

However, much reassured, I can now go back to fitting five return rollers to each side of my model.....Cheers for getting me through that Ben! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hmmmm.....Looks like some minor surgery is going to be neccessary on the lower hull, to remove the track tension idler wheel mounts, these seem to be present on all the iterations of this kit, but are only really useful for an M48A2 as far as I can see. :shrug:

What a great subject, and it certainly harks back to my days of the Verlinden catalogs and books with there concentratio on WW2 and Vietnam era products- but a bit of a sidebar I admit, how are you getting on with the Tamiya Limonene cement? I'm still relying on the regular Tamiya plastic extra thin for my kits.

Good luck with the build!

Hmmmm.....Looks like some minor surgery is going to be neccessary on the lower hull, to remove the track tension idler wheel mounts, these seem to be present on all the iterations of this kit, but are only really useful for an M48A2 as far as I can see. :shrug:

Hi Sarge

Glad I was able to help. Just had a look at mine (which I really must finish) and I must have removed the mounts as they aren't there. Have no recollection of doing so, but it has been sat on the shelf of shame for about 6 years!!!

A lot of the detail on the lower hull seems to be spurious, possibly appropriate for an M48 or M48A1.....I haven't really looked at either as the ESCI tool only has the later engine deck. :nerd:

I'm starting to think that this is another subject in need of a new 1/72 kit as building a truly accurate model from this one is going to require some work. :confused:

Bad news I'm afraid.

Have gone up the attic and retrieved my bits box but unfortunately I can't find any of the bits I rescued from the scrapped build. May have chucked them during one of my periodic clean outs.

Did find a pair of later flat sided air cleaners if they are of use?

Ben

Edited by badger

Cheers for checking Ben.....Not to worry though, now that I know the parts are in the newer Italeri boxing too I can potter along with both builds. :coolio:

I still need to pick up some etch and other bits, so I'll grab an Italeri kit at the same time.....I can finish that one as an M48A2 at some future date. :winkgrin:

That's a stonking build fella, you should finish it off! :thumbsup:

It's also a very helpful reference for placement of the parts you so kindly sent me.....I'll be using just a few of the sandbags but they'll be repurposed for use on the hull (1-69th don't seem to have festooned their Pattons the way some other units did) and also the turret basket stowage part with some personalised tweaks. I'm going to be picking up a plethora of extras for this build (including the kit I should have used in the first place), but for now the PT-76 is my main focus. :coolio:

Hi Sarge

No worries - thought the photos might be useful reference - meant to print them out and send them with the sandbags.

Really must get it finished - to be honest it's just detail painting and weathering (oh and I've mislaid the tracks and 50 cal! - hopefully they'll turn up in one of my various storage boxes - if not I have a couple of sets of the OKB tracks for other future builds).

Will be watching with interest when you are ready to restart the build

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...