Kittyhawk SH-2G Super Seasprite coming November

Julien

wonder if it will have the ASW suite in the rear unlike the original release???

Andy

Andy the parts except the operators seat are on the sprues, along with the extra seat in the back, they just dont mention them on the instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

One curious thing I noticed when I looked at the F model sprues, was that all the rivets are recessed.

Now I know as modellers we love our recessed panel lines and rivet detail, but the rivets on a seasprite are raised. They look like Kaman employed ex boiler makers to do the skin work!

If anyone wants some G(NZ) l reference pics, this link might prove useful:

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/pgarmonsway/library/Seasprite?sort=3&page=1

One curious thing I noticed when I looked at the F model sprues, was that all the rivets are recessed.

Now I know as modellers we love our recessed panel lines and rivet detail, but the rivets on a seasprite are raised. They look like Kaman employed ex boiler makers to do the skin work!

If anyone wants some G(NZ) l reference pics, this link might prove useful:

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/pgarmonsway/library/Seasprite?sort=3&page=1

I just thinks its what is expected of kits these days.

I just thinks its what is expected of kits these days.

Yes, that is what is so funny. In this case (as with quite a few helicopters) the real rivets are pretty large and raised. It's not flush riveted like a fast jet.

I know most people roll their eyes at 70's/80s kits with raised detail, but in some cases raised detail is actually accurate.

I'll still be buying this as soon as it comes out because it is a G and I've spent much of the last few years working on them, and the recessed rivet detail doesn't terribly bother me, I just think it's funny that our obsession with fine recessed detail actually leads companies to make less accurate models.

• Like 2

Charlie. you could always throw caution to the wind and invest a a couple of sheets of AM rivets. I'm of the same opinion being an ex helo grubber. Helos have rivets!

Colin

I could, and was considering doing this when I was looking at the old Matchbox Seasprite as an option a few years back (since it has no detail at all), but the overall effect in 1/48 of recessed rivets will be close enough for me. The Seasprite has a lot of rivets!

Edited by CharlieNZ

I could, and was considering doing this when I was looking at the old Matchbox Seasprite as an option a few years back (since it has no detail at all), but the overall effect in 1/48 of recessed rivets will be close enough for me. The Seasprite has a lot of rivets!

Hi Charlie. I used them Archers rivets on my 32nd Revell Lynx build last year. It too is devoid of rivets, where as the Airfix kit has them just right.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what other marking options it comes with?

It would be nice to think it could be made into an SH-2G(NZ) out of the box, but there's a few things that would need changing.

Enjoy :)

I was scared when I saw the Polish scheme showed on kiwi model but parts for PL can be seen on the frame scheme ...

BTW still there is no reference for the third grey color at the upper side.

a_zps2wloud44.jpg

c_zpsogyumbjc.jpg

d_zpszpdpcz23.jpg

b_zps1iukysjy.jpg

Edited by stakor
  • Like 2

Very excited there are kiwi markings, you've just made my night.

The overall colour of the SH-2G(NZ) is FS26440 Light Gull grey. Markings are FS 25237. All the non slip areas are FS26440 too, but are as they are coated in a non slip surface that attracts a lot of dirt, they appear darker. The APU panels shown in black in the marking scheme (on top) are actually FS26440.

Encouraging to see they correctly show the smoke marker dispensers fitted to the aft fuselage.

Interesting that they show Maverick, but there's not actually anything to load them too as far as I can tell. The mavericks are fitted to outboard weapon pylons, which I don't think are in the kit. Our Mavericks are FS26440 as well, not white.

Edited by CharlieNZ
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On donderdag 24 september 2015 at 0:16 AM, CharlieNZ said:

Yes, that is what is so funny. In this case (as with quite a few helicopters) the real rivets are pretty large and raised. It's not flush riveted like a fast jet.

I know most people roll their eyes at 70's/80s kits with raised detail, but in some cases raised detail is actually accurate.

I'll still be buying this as soon as it comes out because it is a G and I've spent much of the last few years working on them, and the recessed rivet detail doesn't terribly bother me, I just think it's funny that our obsession with fine recessed detail actually leads companies to make less accurate models.

In my opinion, this is not an accuracy thing, it's ease for the modellers, which we all, at the end of the day, are.

Raised rivets are hell if you have to sand a lot in areas where this is needed, you can't bring them back. If you put a wash on your model it's perfect if you have recessed rivets.

In the end people post it in the "Ready for inspection" section and they see a nicely built model on which the rivets are visible and THAT'S what counts in the end. the people who are active there never go on and on and on about the accuracy of the kit. This here at rumourmonger is becoming a world of freakiness and totally misses the point of the hobby which is building a modelkit.

So, Homebee makes a new post/thread. Then normally you expect to see people being happy that they are being given te opportunity to build one of their favourite planes/helicopter/whatsoever, or that they might not be interested and tell us why.

Then we wait for the kit to come out and the reviews appear on several sites, facebook and youtube from we can all draw the conclusion if we still want it or not. End of story..

Unfortunately there are hordes of people who start to feel victimized, almost hurt by the fact that the manufacturer can have the nerve to make a kit with things which are not perfect, unforgivable ofcourse...ahum.

Result; an emotional outbreak of complaints and people who can let the world know how much they know about certain subjects, information which is widely available from the internet. And then they hope that the world will change for them... right.

Sorry guys, especially ye who feel attacked, but I had to get this off of my chest.

Best regards and above all, HAPPY MODELLING!!

Joe