F-105 "Thud" Republic Thunderchief

DAG058

I have been eagerly awaiting this group build for some time!

I'm joining with a Revell 1/72 F-105D Republic Thunderchief, affectionately known as "Thud" by her pilots due to the sound that early F-105Ds made when they hit the ground suffering from technical issues.

The F-105 was originally developed as a supersonic, low-altitude bomber capable of delivering a nuclear weapon to a target deep within the Soviet Union. However she really made her name during the American Vietnam War, where over 20'000 sorties were flown to re-adjust the Vietnamese terrain as the USAF saw appropriate. As previously mentioned she did not come without her flaws, 382 F-105s were lost during the conflict, which was about a third of all air frames produced. The high loss rate and the fact that a pilots' operational tour consisted of 100 combat sorties must have been a very daunting thought for the pilots. Remarkably F-105s are credited with 27.5 air kills during the war, the majority of which came from cannon fire.

The aircraft itself was a bit of a giant. It is comparable in length to a B-17 at 64 feet, and could carry a greater payload of up to 14'000 lbs. It was capable of over Mach 2.

So all-in-all the F-105 is a bit of a legend. Maybe not the greatest of aircraft, however the job she did and the stories that are out there makes it a fascinating subject. Hopefully the kit I have can be bashed into something presentable. It is an old boxing from around 1988 I believe. I'm sure this could present a few challenges along the way!

7bec3620622f30d044be9a0d4a0381f8_zpsoik8

I have replaced the kit decals as they were a bit aged. I've gone for a set of Print-Scale replacements. I am not entirely sure which set to use yet, I'm going to research each in turn and pick the story that I like the most.

11879297bca98b7546dd60dd05ed4fd4_zpsm0iu

The kit itself is a fairly basic affair, two green plastic spures and one clear. The clear parts are surprisingly good. apart from the decals I intend to keep this OOB, I might do a very small bit of scratch building if the need arises.

4db6b7ec513eee18c90e7cb5af2cbe03_zpsdety

22b23218b51f99479cf350743a5a5d6c_zpsmjh4

63e77248499d85d653f7e692795f5f60_zpsvchh

c62cdd5e529d042fd239bbed50a53c68_zpslkgn

As you can see the kit comes with raised panel lines that are to be expected with older kits. I would usually sand them off and either go without, or try to re-scribe the main ones back in. I am terrible at scribing though and I don't think the raised ones are that bad on this model, they are quite fine so I think I might just keep them!

I can't wait to get started on this one. Hopefully some of you will enjoy watching. Feel free to comment, question or assist along the way!

• Like 6

Should be interesting to see how the Print Scale decals work, I own several sheets, but feel very skeptical about them.

Have you had a bad experience with them before? I've never used the so I'm not sure what to expect.

Good choice of subject.

I intend to do the Airfix F version.

I too need new decals.

What is that kit like? Is it also 1/72?

Have you had a bad experience with them before? I've never used the so I'm not sure what to expect.

I've heard the older ones were pretty dire (I used their Presentation Spitfires sheet and it was...not the best), but that the new ones are quite nice.

• Like 1

Good choice of subject.

I intend to do the Airfix F version.

I too need new decals.

What is that kit like? Is it also 1/72?

Not too bad a kit. Maybe one of Airfix; better kits, from about 1983. The decals aren't too bad but they're for an Air National Guard. I think its 1/72. The crew are 1/72 but the aeroplane looks like its 1/48!! :fool:

• Like 1

"As you can see the kit comes with raised panel lines that are to be expected with older kits. I would usually sand them off and either go without, or try to re-scribe the main ones back in. I am terrible at scribing though and I don't think the raised ones are that bad on this model, they are quite fine so I think I might just keep them!"

I recognize the typical horizontal wing beam construction from my Monogram's 1/48 kit.

Maybe the template is scaled down to 1/72 scale. If it is, don't worry about those raised panel lines.

To be sure I Closed the air intakes inside the hull. To prevent airbrush dust getting inside the clear canopy.

Don't forget adding some weight in the nose please.

Grotefoto-AVZK3NVL.jpg

Will follow this threat

Success!

Edited by Grover 27
  • Like 1

No hurry please.

(My Thud was the first finished model in 2015. Rebuilding the 1st and 2nd floor in my home consumed my spare time for this year).

I posted some of my recent pre-BM builds in the new members topic.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985974-hello-britmodellers/#entry2055009

I have not, (yet) started a thread in BM. But hope soon.

• Like 1

I've managed to get the paints I need today, thanks to some help from Grover. I'm hoping to make a start on this build tomorrow.

In the mean time I have watched this great Walk Round by Marty Case, he explains the ins and outs of the F-105, well worth a watch for any aviation enthusiast.

• Like 2

That's me away from the start line!

589b01c9c258071ac7505c233c6fddaa_zps2nkt

I have primed and painted the pit. I have also made up the stores, engine and wheels. All these parts need a good tidy up still.

As you can see the forward quarter is full of weigh, I'm using some heavy duty solder. Hopefully it'll be enough, I'm sick of tail sitters. It feels plenty heavy though.

531066a23207ba7ab7e8dbc401e6ccfc_zpsz8sp

Next up I joined the fuselage halves together. Unfortunately one side was slightly warped. I think I've got it together not too bad but it fill need a little filler and sanding. I've also stuck the wings together.

So far I'm enjoying it, I think it'll be a quick build, there's not a great deal left in the box.

• Like 2

Wings are on. I've cleaned up all the joins and seems. The fit was not great, as mentioned the fuselage was warmer. The wings didn't sit nicely together either and there was a bit of a gap at the wing roots. Hopefully I've managed to sort it all out.

That green plastic is really horrible, I'm glad they don't make them like that anymore! It doesn't sand very well, it seems to burr and show every imperfection (see photo!). Fingers crossed I get it to a decent standard, then once I get the primer on it should look alright.

4babc8a364849090d07444b494752e5f_zpsxt4v

Hoping to hit it hard tomorrow. I've just been bitten the the What-If GB, that could distract me!

• Like 4

The canopy is on and masked. The canopy is great for being opened, if I'd known that I would probably have spent a little on a resin cockpit and had it open on display, worth noting if your also building one of these, or in 48 scale.

63949272ab4a338c4caf2647649e9dde_zpscokd

Primer will be going on shortly.

• Like 1

Hope you like the paint!

That green plastic is really horrible, I'm glad they don't make them like that anymore! It doesn't sand very well, it seems to burr and show every imperfection (see photo!). Fingers crossed I get it to a decent standard, then once I get the primer on.

Once the primer is on you get a total different, (better) picture on that surface.

Good job so far. Maybe, where the canopy is hinged to the hull needs some attention.

PS: "I said don't hurry, This is like a speed build." ;)

Once the primer is on you get a total different, (better) picture on that surface.

You are right about that! I've put the first layer of primer on and it has changed it completely. It looks a lot better already. I will post some more photos when the priming is complete.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...