Trumpeter F105G "Wild Weasel"

MattBlack33

With a few builds to clear off the bench at the moment so I'm not getting straight on with this. However, here's the plan for thi very exciting GB.

The kit: Trumpeter's 1/72 F105G Thunderchief.

Extras: Eduard's "Big Ed" PE detailing set.

Others: Hasegawa ground crew and equipment. CMK Vietnam era pilots (standing).

In the group chat I heard the fin needs modifying to be accurate so if anyone knows how to go about doing this let me know and depending on how much time I have, I might give it a go.

• Like 1

In the group chat I heard the fin needs modifying to be accurate so if anyone knows how to go about doing this let me know and depending on how much time I have, I might give it a go.

The main issue is that while on the actual thing, the F-105F/G fin was both longer (deeper in chord) and taller, the Trumpeter kit, I understand, has only heightened the fin. The solution I hear bandied about is just getting a cheapie Monogram F-105F/G and stealing the fin from that, rather than messing around with increasing the chord of the fin; there's a vague-ish discussion of the latter option here: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/july/first-looks/trumpeter_f105g.php

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as my Lightning is at the 'aerials and armament' stage, I thought I'd make a start on this bad-boy over the weekend. Apologies for the lack of step-by-step pictures, but here is where I'm at.

Seat with PE belts and detailing, and (largely hidden) Miliput seat cushion. Painted with Humbrol enamels and acrylics.

IMG_5057_zpsds5rptpd.jpg

IMG_5060_zps7b2fbnvt.jpg

IMG_5061_zpsiji8x2ba.jpg

Dry-fitting of the tub and fuselage halves. Fits together quite nicely. All I need to do is the other seat and finish off the other smaller boxes etc in the tub.

IMG_5064_zpshjbh3mcm.jpg

IMG_5069_zpsqjafpjrx.jpg

IMG_5070_zpsp1fhh4ud.jpg

IMG_5071_zpszjktmpsr.jpg

I must say, the PE sets for this kit are incredible. Great quality and plenty of it! It can be quite fiddly in places, but worth the effort and every penny!

• Like 6

Thanks, Giorgio. If I make another I think I'll incorporate a few more scratch-built elements, the Trumpeter seat is very basic. It looks okay to. Me for now though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a bit of progress today, but no pictures until tomorrow as the light faded before I could get any!

I bought a load of Vallejo paints to test out on this kit, but I'm not particularly happy with the tones or the way they airbrush. I've decided to go back to my safety So, my question to you knowledgeable lot, is what are the Humbrol enamel equivalents to use for the SEA scheme?

Quite a bit of progress today, but no pictures until tomorrow as the light faded before I could get any!

I bought a load of Vallejo paints to test out on this kit, but I'm not particularly happy with the tones or the way they airbrush. I've decided to go back to my safety So, my question to you knowledgeable lot, is what are the Humbrol enamel equivalents to use for the SEA scheme?

I think its Humbrol 116, 117 and 118.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, as always your collective help is very much appreciated! I should have some pictures tomorrow. There's quite a bit of filling to be done!

• Like 1

Just to show I'm actually doing something on this build, this is where I'm up to:

IMG_5078_zpshhaspti3.jpg

IMG_5077_zpsmywj2ts2.jpg

IMG_5076_zps3x3jxk8f.jpg

IMG_5079_zps1nc0it2r.jpg

You can see in the radome area how gappy this kit has been for me! There's a bit more tidying up to do, some more filling and PE etc. to do before the primer goes on. It's definitely worth the work though, it's a beautiful aircraft once it's all put together.

• Like 3

A nice bit of progress today.

Primed up with Halford's enamel primer. It's the first time I've used this particular brand but it seems to have done the trick so I shall be using it again in the future.

IMG_5080_zpsgjpscgqu.jpg

IMG_5082_zpsrqrpugaa.jpg

Following a good ol' priming I did a bit of panel line highlighting with Humbrol 129 rather than black. My plan was to go over the panel lines, then use Humbrol 28 in the centre of the panels to blend in the darker colour. Then, to bring the whole process together, go over the whole lot with a relatively light layer of Humbrol 28.

Panel lines

IMG_5083_zpsz6jnk0ak.jpg

IMG_5084_zpsd28v6kca.jpg

Greyed panel lines

IMG_5089_zpsolaotbou.jpg

IMG_5087_zps7t49y1i3.jpg

Before (Port) vs after (starboard)

IMG_5085_zpshditabkm.jpg

Finally, the first coat of light green is on. I didn't highlight panel lines on this coat, however panels are lit with the same colour with a hint of white added. Apologies for the picture, the light is terrible!

IMG_5097_zpsj1mkwhmp.jpg

IMG_5096_zpsigfxu1da.jpg

I'll be Blu-tacking this up tonight for a coat of US tan tomorrow at some point. If I get it done in the morning, I may have time to do the dark green too.

• Like 5

Good work - did you wait for the green to dry before you used the lightened green in the middle? Done it with MR Color, not tried with Humbrol due to drying time .

• Like 1

• 6 months later...