1/35 Academy M50A1 Ontos +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Hi all

I shall be going initially with the Academy Ontos AFV. Equipping the USMC, its armament of 6Nr. recoilless rifles certainly made it one of the oddest AFV's in theatre.

Box shots (well actually bag shots)...

010_zpsdfylj2ft.jpg

011_zpsr8hkn08g.jpg

The subject of the kit is a Vietnam tank, so shouldn't be a problem. See you all soon

• Like 2

Hi Andy. Good to see another tank on here. I was getting a bit lonely for a bit!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Andy. Good to see another tank on here. I was getting a bit lonely for a bit!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers mate - I was going to do a Thunderchief...then thought...hang on...I remembered buying this off Dave W (Panzer Vor). Reviews reckon it's not a bad kit except the ammo is overscale!

• Like 1

Nice choice Andy. These look interesting when built. Not sure I would have wanted to be an operator on one though. Also if it came from Dave give it a double check the dodgy bloke. :-)

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm

Not to be the bearer of bad tidings but you may want to check your tracks. Pretty sure they're not Ontos tracks in the bag as mine are much shorter and don't have the sticky out bits (technical term!).

Ben

• Like 1

Haha! Well spotted. I refer to Snapper's post above. Checked the tracks and they are Sheridan tracks. I also bought a Sheridan off Panzer Vor at the same time. Been deep into the stash and pulled that out and looked at the tracks in that kit...and they look remarkably like Ontos tracks ☺☺☺☺ A mix up me thinks

• Like 1

Haha! Well spotted. I refer to Snapper's post above. Checked the tracks and they are Sheridan tracks. I also bought a Sheridan off Panzer Vor at the same time. Been deep into the stash and pulled that out and looked at the tracks in that kit...and they look remarkably like Ontos tracks ☺☺☺☺ A mix up me thinks

Phew - that's a relief!!!!

• Like 1

Well after all the shenanigans with the tracks yesterday, I thought I should get on with it. You know your behind everyone else when you are bottom of the update pile in the WIP section!

There are some quite large sprue gates holding on the hull and these were snipped but need a small amount of filler which was applied and rubbed down

001_zpsvkp1a4rq.jpg

Suspension bars installed - these are quite simple to put in but the guide bars aren't they are very fiddly

002_zpsmlmwbquv.jpg

003_zpst6t9lx1p.jpg

Next step was my least favourite bit...sprockets and wheels. After snipping off there was some clean up to do and some glue along with polycaps. Here they are dry fitted to one side

004_zpsmxxtii04.jpg

The spreader bar thingy that sits outside the wheels was tackled next and again is quite fiddly with a couple of very small parts

005_zpsmz2iw7ug.jpg

The tailplate was completed and was composed of several small pieces (those bottom hinges tried my patience and were close several times to succumbing to the carpet monster). Here it is finished and glued in place

006_zps41twwx7s.jpg

Finally managed to glue on some pieces to the superstructure. Lovely fit here actually - nice and crisp

007_zpslyzyhmlo.jpg

Will do some more tomorrow I hope. All comments welcome and thanks for looking

• Like 4

A combination of indifferent weather and the house being full of 22-yr old lads (my middle one's birthday) meant I could locl myself away in the man-cave and get some more progress on this little AFV

As promised - here is the superstructure next to my DAK Kubelwagen to get an idea of her size - the Ontos is quite small as you can see

002_zpsuuhmhpu9.jpg

Anyway on with the build, the gun barrel supports and numerous other protuberances were glued including headlight framing

001_zps0aoa2qmk.jpg

The next step was to use the etch for the exhaust wrapping. I was considering annealing it but it's actually quite thin etch and I didn't foresee a problem getting it to roll evenly. Here is the fore part done and glued

003_zpsjc4hndeu.jpg

The rear part also treated and glued. Then it was the turn of the conical shape marrying the two and that was very awkward - it's still not absolutely perfect but it's good from a foot away!

004_zpsyfkftnm1.jpg

All glued in place. The white rod is a replacement linkage the original of which broke when sanding. Fortunately I had some very small rod in my stock

005_zpsbka42wai.jpg

The rear plate and door frame put together and glued in place

006_zpsyrb7drwc.jpg

I started on the recoilless rifles - a tedious exercise of snip and sand for all the individual pieces. They are cleverly engineered however

007_zpsmyefb8pa.jpg

I finally plucked up the courage to build one - took about half an hour - only another 5 to go!

008_zpsvedi7dhj.jpg

Thanks for viewing and all comments welcomed

• Like 4

Hi all - cracking on with this. First up the turret/gun mount nice detail. Option to have the hatch open with a commander in it - I'm buttoning it up. If I was putting it on a diorama base I'd probably paint up the figure and insert him but a diorama is a step too far for my AFV modelling skills right now!

001_zpssornerl7.jpg

Rear doors needed some fettling and some plastic trimmed off the rear steps as I glued them marginally too far inwards which was fouling the edge of the doors

002_zpsssopypep.jpg

Dry fit of the gun mount. The .30 cal and shield will be fitted after painting

003_zpsff5lychp.jpg

The finished 106mm rifles - having survived the usual AndyC cock-up where two were glued wrongly so that the locating elements were on top of the barrels rather than underneath. Saved with a bit of surgery

004_zpsvvo6wpw9.jpg

Top 4 guns glued

005_zpslfhtfm7r.jpg

All 6 now glued but not yet aligned to the gun rests or completely with each other!

006_zpsetggruha.jpg

007_zpsntgt01id.jpg

Now provisionally aligned and sitting on the gun rests

008_zpstlexxxzr.jpg

Next...clamps to the guns final rub down and into the paint shop. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome

• Like 2

Hi all - almost there with this one...

Base colour of Vallejo US Olive Drab sprayed on all parts

001_zpsx5ao2z1l.jpg

Tracks sprayed black to start with

002_zpshlqsetv9.jpg

Sprockets and wheels sprayed and then the rims painted Humbrol 33

003_zpsej6ny8dv.jpg

004_zps1swutare.jpg

I bought a Vallejo US paint set and started layering and applying filters. Also a Flory wash was applied and the results are quite nice although subtle. I also started dry-brushing with GW Runefang Steel but no overdoing it

005_zpsb38jo9fs.jpg

006_zpsumpklmg0.jpg

Wheels and sprockets in place

007_zpsubhlitnh.jpg

Tracks on after a dry-brush with Steel and outside bar glued. Spare tracks and jerry can glued in place

008_zpsf65mekhj.jpg

009_zpsjqiiqcn5.jpg

Decals applied

010_zpsrasyn2ii.jpg

011_zpstkpzkuzs.jpg

Rifles and .30 cal and shield glued in place

012_zpsshgdd3gx.jpg

013_zpsqaqwuq7n.jpg

014_zpsfuulju7z.jpg

I need to do a light weathering spray and dirty up the tracks (not too much - I don't do 'mucky' builds). Once that's done I think she will be ready for a RFI and the gallery.

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

Looks great Andy, looking forward to the RFI pics once you finish up the weathering.

Does that decal / transfer/ sticker say "Soul Power"?

Yes it does mate

• Like 1