Airfix BAC 1-11 500 1:144

Airfix BAC 1-11 500ED.

Two-Six British Airways 'Landor' decals.

111-48_zpsahobjevg.jpg

Ok, so if you want a beautiful, accurate 1-11 500 then you need to get hold of the Authentic Airliners resin kit.
But I got this out of the stash and thought I'd have a bit of fun improving it and converting it from a short bodied 200 series 1-11 into the stretched 500 series. I've thouroghly enjoyed it from start ti finish, and have a second 500 under construction as well now.

111-1_zpsxzxrerxz.jpg

Lots of work with sheet plasticard undertaken, full build log Here The main changes were extended fuselage, extended wingtips, new wing fences & flap tracks, engine pylons, engine hushkits, and a reshaped nose.

111-7_zpsf3c0rziv.jpg

The decals from Two-Six were superb and a delight to use. A plus is that the sheet covers all BA Landor 1-11's incluing the short bodied 200's, so if you don't want to do all the extending work, you can just do the wing fences, flap tracks, and nose.

I chose to do G-AVMO which was preserved at Cosford for many years and is now at east Fortune in Scotland, very fitting really as it was named 'Lothian Region'.

Enough words, here is the completed conversion.

111-44_zps5ko0j5cd.jpg

111-45_zpsgsld8a0i.jpg

111-43_zpsz9axrgsb.jpg

111-46_zpsnnh0iuuh.jpg

111-47_zpssfg3hl3g.jpg

111-49_zpsf7gyk2s1.jpg

And 'with something else' - another 1-11 500, this one a Welsh Models Vac with Two-Six BEA decals.

111-50_zpsqwmjkj8t.jpg

Thanks for looking. On with the second conversion now, which will be in BEA Red Square finish, to show the BEA/BA 1-11 500 in its first and last schemes.

John

• Like 38

Hi John,

Very impressed! Not my favourite BA scheme but this one looks good in it.

How did you achieve the very crisp demarcation between the blue belly and the grey? It's razor sharp!!

I was a little worried about the nose shape, I felt it looked a little 'snooty', but it looks good to me now it's got some paint on.

Of course, once you've finished the red square one you'll need another for a negus machine!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Hello,Viking - Well done on a beautiful looking build of your BAC111.I love the finish and the scheme and your photos reminded me of seeing them at Manchester Airport.Grand job! All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Very impressed! Not my favourite BA scheme but this one looks good in it.

How did you achieve the very crisp demarcation between the blue belly and the grey? It's razor sharp!!

I was a little worried about the nose shape, I felt it looked a little 'snooty', but it looks good to me now it's got some paint on.

Of course, once you've finished the red square one you'll need another for a negus machine!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, I agree that it is not the best BA scheme, but it has grown on me a bit more during this build.

The demarcation line is masked with a thin strip of Tamiya tape cut from a 10mm roll using a new blade. Picture here

It can take a while getting it set right, and then the other side has to match when viewed from head on. It is worth taking your time over. Paint is then sprayed. (brush painting always seems to result in a little 'bleed' under the tape. In fact there is a tiny amount of bleed on under the cockpit that I only noticed on these photos! In real life it is not noticeable as the model is smaller than the photo of the nose area.

Thanks all,

John

Hello,Viking - Well done on a beautiful looking build of your BAC111.I love the finish and the scheme and your photos reminded me of seeing them at Manchester Airport.Grand job! All the best,Paul.

Me too Paul, There was a time when BA 1-11's ruled Manchester!

Cheers

John

In fact there is a tiny amount of bleed on under the cockpit that I only noticed on these photos! In real life it is not noticeable as the model is smaller than the photo of the nose area.

I'm glad it is just not me. My builds have 'weak areas' or errors enough, but when posting posting photos I always see stuff I had never noticed on the original. "How did I miss that?" is a constant musing while posting here.

Lovely build as always John. Brings back happy memories of flying GLA-BHX-MUC on the 1-11s in the late 1980s when the old Munich Riem airport was still in use. By the time the airport upped sticks and moved overnight to Franz-Josef Strauss the 1-11s had been replaced by 732s and today the whole BA Birmingham operation is just a memory.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...