1/72 B-52D, Linebacker II, 1972. Finished 16/12.

DaveJL

Most of the camouflage clean up has been done. Several hours with a brush and a steady hand. Just need to clean up some of the black paint now.

IMG_8557_zpsp9mbqvq2.jpg

IMG_8558_zpsdgutrwko.jpg

IMG_8559_zpsfmdtkvy8.jpg

Once the aforementioned paint is cleaned up. i just need to paint the windshield frames, then gloss the lot and add the decals.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

Been having a look at this and i've decided i'm not overly happy with the tone of the lighter green, I think it looks too pale. Having looked at several images of the jets, the paint tone seems to vary widely.

What are your thoughts?

I think re-painting it a tad darker may prove beneficial at the end...

Otherwise you may have to repaint on top of a gloss coat, which is not always straightforward.

The rest looks pretty tasty!

JR

Nice work, that is looking awesome. I can't believe you did that by hand with a brush, looks good.

Looking at the pictures you have put up of the real thing, I would say the colour is pretty much spot on. It does look lighter than one might have expected, maybe it's because we are looking down on the top of it, not a view usually seen, and the Buff does seem to have rather a lot of the light green as opposed to the dark, which is possibly unusual?

I would leave it, maybe a bit of weathering somehow? as it maybe looks a bit too clean and fresh. Although I'm not sure what as I guess you don't have recessed panel lines? Maybe some dry brushing and paint chipping, or maybe panel touch up's with a darker shade?

Anyhow, looking great.

Paint changed. Mixed approx 70% pale green to 30% medium green. I think it looks much better now, maybe even a tad too dark. But it'll do! The rest of the tidying up has also been done:

Before:

IMG_8559_zpsfmdtkvy8.jpg

After:

IMG_8742_zpsxrugvkvr.jpg

IMG_8743_zps3qbvvq1h.jpg

IMG_8744_zpsyxrnd5wv.jpg

Next up is gloss and decals.

Dave

• Like 8

More done. Decals are on. The walkways were a pain in the backside and I found that cutting them into smaller sections made life a lot easier!

IMG_8760_zps73owh5zd.jpg

IMG_8761_zpss2ruhqzk.jpg

IMG_8762_zpsul2npein.jpg

IMG_8763_zpsmrehu5xh.jpg

The bomb tally is fictional (pinched from a B-17 sheet.) Not sure if this particular jet carried one, but couldn't have my BUFF without a bomb tally!

The wheels and landing gear doors have all been attached so will let that cure overnight. All that needs done is to add the bombs, a few bits around the .50 cals, give it a flat coat and add some weathering.

Hope to have it done this week.

Dave

• Like 5

All 24 MK117 bombs have been added and the last few areas have been cleaned up. The 'Big Belly' D model was able to carry 66 of these 750lb bombs.

IMG_8767_zpseqtsczgf.jpg

IMG_8768_zps5j95tjml.jpg

IMG_8769_zpsckyg5gc8.jpg

IMG_8770_zpsxgsuopgy.jpg

IMG_8774_zpsvlm2mqzs.jpg

Just needs a flat coat and some weathering now.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

Looks amazing, really rather impressive. Just one question that I'm sure you've been asked before but where on earth are you going to put this beast?!?!?

Cheers. And to answer your question….i've no idea! Need to get space from somewhere as I've an H model to sit alongside it too (eventually!!)

An H as well??? May I then suggest your next build is an EXTENSION!!!!! LOL

Indeed. Been planned for about 3 years, just never got around to it yet! Will be done in flight, 'over Afghanistan' or something like that.

As for the extension…well I'm hopefully getting a new house in a year or two, hopefully Ikea will have plenty of glass display cabinets for sale!

A flat coat added and some light weathering has seen this one completed!

DSCF0935_zpsye2e9xi0.jpg

DSCF0933_zpswybhqtrj.jpg

DSCF0930_zpsbsrwjoda.jpg

DSCF0924_zps2hr2tfss.jpg

DSCF0921_zpsrzskunqu.jpg

More pictures in the gallery and in RFI here

I've some tips/things I'd do for next time (probably a B-52B, after the AMT/Ertl H model :lol: ):

1. Add styrene sheet to box in the wheel wells.

2. Dry fit absolutely everything!

3. Take your time with the windshield and .50cal gunners transparencies. These need filler and if you're not careful, the dust gets in behind!

4. Add the outrigger wheels when adding the wings. Gives them a platform to sit correctly.

5. When adding the wings, add copious amounts of cement to the join, both top and bottom.

6. If adding the walkways as decals, cut the longer bits up into smaller sections. Makes it a lot easier.

7. If closing the bomb-bay doors, cut off the hinges.

Thanks to all who commented/followed.

Dave

• Like 7

Took me right back looking at the finished thing. BTW The outriggers didn't always touch the ground ,sometimes only one or none depending on fuel load ,Oleo "sticktion" (its a mix of friction/sticking) or how the level the pan is. Love your wip and the model.

Thanks and well done,good with the tips too!

I wouldn't worry too much about the colour tones,they looked like sh1 tango after everything they'd been through and level of neglect to be honest,the sun played havoc with the faded colour.They were in evil condition appearence wise right down to hand painted graffiti on the tyres,MIG killer boasts like "This Buff eats MIGs for breakfast" and "Hip swinging Mike sat here in 72 or 73" (we were on it in 82 ish) on the Captain's dash.They weren't checked for loose articles,coffee cups,locking wire,tape rolling round the u/c bays. Thats how they launched for a bombing competition.They were dirt trucks.I went on seven, four 52Ds(from Guam) and three 52Hs (they were better) at Brize. Couldn't believe the state of them.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1