1/72 B-52D, Linebacker II, 1972. Finished 16/12.

DaveJL

I was at RIAT back in 2006 I think it was, and was sitting close to the runway when a B-52 and B-1B took off for their displays. Couldn't get over the noise of the B-1. I'm travelling across America next year all being well so hoping to do a quick stop close to Ellsworth AFB and possibly Minot, see if there's any flying! :winkgrin:

Looking good. Funny how the B-52 doesn't seem that big when parked next to the 1/48 models.

Cheers. For it's scale, compared to the 48th kits it's big enough. I'd love to see a 1/48 one!

Dave,

If you hit Salt Lake City, let me know. I can introduce you to a couple good hobby shops and the Hill Aerospace Museum is worth a visit.

Cool, thanks! I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Back to the model, the only sanding and tidying up i have left is around the transparencies, the fit of which is awful:

IMG_8224_zpsz6lkupno.jpg

IMG_8223_zpsmqmq7rl5.jpg

I'm not too worried about scratching the transparencies whilst cleaning up, as i'll be going over them with micro mesh before masking.

Once that is done it's time to start the painting process. I'm still undecided wether to paint the wings separately and just clean up the seams once done, or attach them now and fill and clean up as appropriate before painting.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

I was at RIAT back in 2006 I think it was, and was sitting close to the runway when a B-52 and B-1B took off for their displays. Couldn't get over the noise of the B-1. I'm travelling across America next year all being well so hoping to do a quick stop close to Ellsworth AFB and possibly Minot, see if there's any flying! :winkgrin:

I'm very near Chicago and close enough to make it to and back from the EAA Airventure airshow in a day, just sayin'. I have never unironically shouted "'MURICA", and perhaps that's all you need to know about me.

Ahahaha, that's just awesome Dave, thanks for the comparison photo!

Thought about doing a Russian Bear to go with it?

No worries mate. Yes i've thought about a Tu-95 several times, along with a Tu-160 and Tu-22 but I just wouldn't have enough space.

Dave,

If you hit Salt Lake City, let me know. I can introduce you to a couple good hobby shops and the Hill Aerospace Museum is worth a visit.

I've got a Hill AFB (Logistics Command) Zippo lighter from a USAF Sgt at Upper Heyford 1973, he wanted my Peal Harbour Zippo. Is Hill AFB near you?

• 2 weeks later...

Just about ready for primer and painting. The wheel wells have been masked up and the filler around the windshield is nearly cleaned up. Took a bit more effort than I thought. I think i'll paint the windshield gloss black to cover up the dust particles that have managed to get inside.

Just the one picture of the wheel wells:

IMG_8387_zpsihyxvv1i.jpg

I've also decided that I'll paint the wings and fuselage separately then just clean up the seams. Think this will be easier than trying to spray the lot as one. Hoping to get the initial coat of black on tomorrow or Friday.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

Looking good, Dave. I'm really enjoying seeing this one come together. Just a thought, but I remember the wings needing quite a bit of work filling and sanding wise. If it were me, I'd attach the wings first as it might get a bit hairy/frustrating later and could end up being more work in the long run :)

Cheers Matt, but painting has begun! I can maybe get the black done then fit the wings. Anyway, first off and the windshield and tail gunners glazing were painted gloss black then masked off:

IMG_8390_zps8didse42.jpg

IMG_8391_zpskuxqm7yz.jpg

Underside of the wings have been sprayed black:

IMG_8393_zpsqh5ntml4.jpg

Fuselage has also been sprayed but is currently drying. 2 coats of black has used up a rattle can and a half of matt black!

The 24x M117s have also been painted:

IMG_8399_zps7xbvf3hy.jpg

Next up is to test fit the wings and decide if I'm going to fit them before painting the camouflage. Before that though, i'll paint the wing tip wheel bays and paint the metallic cones on the engines.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Big like!! Bringing back so many memories, although I remember painting the M117s by hand :) I'm sure you'll be fine, the black will be much easier to re-paint, I was more worried about the dorsal wing roots and how much of the camo scheme you might lose.

More done. I decided to add the wings before commencing the camouflage. Having looked at various pictures of the D model, the paint edges are very rough so i'm not going to mask off the black.

IMG_8409_zpsbjnctz1u.jpg

IMG_8410_zpsslr589dy.jpg

Note that the wing tip wheel bays have been painted and the engines have had some metallic added. A bit of filler will be needed to close the gaps on the upper surfaces between the wings and fuselage but nothing major. I've added a good bit of glue so will let that cure overnight before continuing.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 8

Returned to the kit this morning thinking that the 15 hour period which i'd left the wings to cure would suffice, alas not! I they hadn't adhered properly and were dipping somewhat. So, I removed them and decided to attach the outrigger wheels to give some stability and a bit of support for when I re-attach them. Glad I did remove them as i've since found a few imperfections on both the wings and lower fuselage that will need addressed.

Anyway, a picture of the wings with wheels in place:

IMG_8417_zpsvbtmwc2r.jpg

I'll hopefully get the wings re-attached tomorrow or Tuesday and then I can crack on properly.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of delay, there's more to show! Wings were attached again and the sizeable gaps filled in. For the undersides i used liquid cement for this, then just Squadron filler on the upper sides:

IMG_8475_zpsaxvgxxkj.jpg

IMG_8477_zpsafugri4w.jpg

So i've sprayed a few areas of black that needed cleaned up so hoping to get the first lick of camouflage on in the next few days.

Dave

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Overdue update, but the base layers for the camouflage have been applied. All by freehand with a brush. Having looked at many photos of the real thing (including a good few of my own taken at several museums across the States) i've noted that the paint was very roughly applied, with no set patterns etc.

Anyway, here it is after an initial coat:

IMG_8549_zpsesa02pew.jpg

IMG_8550_zpshhjxno43.jpg

IMG_8554_zpsxevzt8fs.jpg

Colours are Model Master Dark Tan, Pale Green and Dark Green. I think they'll look just about right under a coat of varnish. Here's a few of the photos I've taken:

B-52D 56-0612, Castle Air Museum, Atwater, California:

IMG_4930_zpszmmifoum.jpg

IMG_4935_zpsul4llm7q.jpg

B-52D 55-0071, USS Alabama Memorial Park, Mobile, Alabama:

DSCF0404_zpsp1d12gut.jpg

DSCF0405_zps39997f6f.jpg

Gives you an idea to the paint patterns on them. They are an impressive beast up close, hoping to see a few more while i'm over next year for 3 weeks, including the NB-52A, an RB-52B, a B-52B, several D's and G's.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 4