Hurricane mk 1 Hasegawa F/L Henry Lafont Sqn 615

Good afternoon

Yesterday I starded the Hasegawa Hurricane Mk 1 that I will represent in the markings of the aircraft flown by Henry Lafont one of the few free french pilots who took part in the Battle of Britain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Lafont

226570006.jpg

My sources
800578007.jpg

The box art 3993890022.jpg

The prues 2595440042.jpg

I will use the detailling set of Kuivalainen for the , I will replace the exhausts by Quickboost ones ..
I started by the cockpit

759915003.jpg

900912004.jpg

The seat with the belts and the instrument panel
448644S002.jpg

Today I placed the seat and the instrument panel

6170510043.jpg

8738310033.jpg

And closed the fuselage
2290230072.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 5

Bonsoir Patrice,

another build moving fast from the start!

You are a brave man, tackling the Hasegawa kit, with its atrocious representation of the fabric structure on the fuselage! How are you going to improve it?

Or are you just going to forget it ever existed?

The Hurri is still a gorgeous plane and the kit is otherwise real nice! So I expect a great result at the end of it!

Have fun

JR

Good morning Jr

I will try to sand a little the representation of the fabric structure on the fuselage . the Hasegawa kit is the only Hurricane Mk 1 with metal wing so far ..

I will try to obtain a good result ..

Patrice

• Like 1

I have this kit and planned to improve the rear fuselage by a coat or two of Tippex and then a light sanding.

The kit also has an incorrect representation of the wheel wells, though as it's on the underside it can be ignored as no-one ever looks there..

the Hasegawa kit is the only Hurricane Mk 1 with metal wing so far ..

Unfortunately, it's closer to a Mk.II in terms of length and has the B wing. If you fill the two outer ejection slots it'll be fine.

John.

I have this kit and planned to improve the rear fuselage by a coat or two of Tippex and then a light sanding.

The kit also has an incorrect representation of the wheel wells, though as it's on the underside it can be ignored as no-one ever looks there..

Unfortunately, it's closer to a Mk.II in terms of length and has the B wing. If you fill the two outer ejection slots it'll be fine.

John.

Hood afternoon John

Interesting way of improving the rear fuselage ..

I must admit that I don't botter too much about the wheel wells ..

I will fill the outer ejections slots and the acces panels corresponding ...

If only Airfix had produced a metal winged Hurricane Mk 1 in 1/72 ......

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 2

Salut Patrice,

I am envious of people like you who can build so fast and so well.

So far so good!!!

Have fun with the rest of the build!

JR

John.

Funny enough, I am building this issue of the hasegawa hurricane for this GB, and found that a general sanding of the fabric areas brings everything together. I too heard various -and flatly contradictory- things about the length of this issue of the mk1 hurricane. Apparently, hasegawa released later mk1 kits with a shorter nose to make a more accurate mk1. However, I measured both the nose of this kit, which worked out almost exactly the right length (51 scale inches, as opposed to 50.5 inches for the real thing) and then the length from the windscreen to the panel line immediately behind the exhausts. It is this area which is different between the mk1 and mk2; 41 inches vs 45. I worked it out the a fraction over 41 scale inches, or 14.5 mm in plastic. In short, I think this issue of the hasegawa hurricane is about right. In any instance, the 4inch difference between a mk1 and mk2 works out at exactly 1.4mm in plastic, and if you can see the differernce without a ruler then you're a better man than me!

Looking good Patrice :)

Good morning CedB

Thank you but I am not really satisfied with my painting job in fact after after having made an error in the camouflage scheme on sunday I had to repaint my Hurricane on monday ...I will try to improve it when I will do the weathering ..

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

Funny enough, I am building this issue of the hasegawa hurricane for this GB, and found that a general sanding of the fabric areas brings everything together. I too heard various -and flatly contradictory- things about the length of this issue of the mk1 hurricane. Apparently, hasegawa released later mk1 kits with a shorter nose to make a more accurate mk1. However, I measured both the nose of this kit, which worked out almost exactly the right length (51 scale inches, as opposed to 50.5 inches for the real thing) and then the length from the windscreen to the panel line immediately behind the exhausts. It is this area which is different between the mk1 and mk2; 41 inches vs 45. I worked it out the a fraction over 41 scale inches, or 14.5 mm in plastic. In short, I think this issue of the hasegawa hurricane is about right. In any instance, the 4inch difference between a mk1 and mk2 works out at exactly 1.4mm in plastic, and if you can see the differernce without a ruler then you're a better man than me!

Good morning PaulR

I must admit that I don't bother too much about the measures problems of the Hasegawa model

Patrice

As far as measurements are concerned, unless it is absolutely glaring, I do not think it is worth rectifying. It is always hard to make it look nice (OK, correction: I am nowhere near good enough to make this type of correction look seamless!). As we say where I come from: the best is the enemy of the good... for what it's worth.

So Patrice, I am all behind you!

JR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening

At last after nearly 2weeks since the last update I managed to work on this one and today I placed the canopy (I finally decided to use the canopy of the kit and leave it closed ..) and started decalling ..

Pics tommorow

Patrice

• Like 1

Great painting job Patrice!

She looks superb with decals on!

I have never built a Hurricane in my life, but I imagine that painting the canopy with all the framing, must have been fun!

Great show!

JR

Good afternoon Jean

Thank you ..

Bulding a Hurricane is not different from building a Spit if I can do it anybody can do it ..

Well painting the canopy without any mask as I do requires a lot of calm , patience and good brushes .

Patrice

• Like 1