AFV Club 1/35 Mk.5/1 Centurion of the RAAC - Finished! - photos in the gallery

PlaStix

I have one of these to build but the suspension scares me every time I look in the box!!

Hi Badger. I know what you mean - the box is crammed with a lot more bits and pieces than any kit I've made so far! Could be interesting!

M

ight it be worth at least priming the bogey parts in black first.....Getting paint in there later might be tricky. :shrug:

Thank you Sarge - that definitely sounds like an excellent idea.

I have done a bit more work on the suspension parts but not taken any photos yet. Maybe later........

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

This afternoon I got a bit more modelling time but didn't feel like carefully painting the two Spitfires I'm building for the BoB GB so I got on with this project.

I managed to get all the suspension units made:

20769817903_a5ae10daf5_c.jpg

For saying how big this tank is compared to all the others I've made there are some really small parts involved! Some of them even have to be melted slightly to keep them together but allow them to move! The instructions suggest using a hot nail but I used a soldering iron which I allowed to get hot and then turned it off to cool a bit. It seemed to do the trick.

Also today I got all the parts above (and a few others) attached to the lower hull sides:

21390897045_fa6b7af7b8_c.jpg

More when I get chance.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Good progress Stix,now is this model making or model engineering? :winkgrin:

Hi Steve and thank you. I think you're right about the engineering. It's more complex than I was expecting but very good nonetheless. The moving parts seem to go together reasonably well and look like they should do the job. Not sure if I'll be able to make full use of this feature though.

Great work on this fine kit. AFV Club kits are a little more complex than Tamiya for example but well made.

:goodjob:

Thank you Bernd. Yeah it does seem different from a Tamiya kit. Also I have noticed there is a bit more cleaning up to do than on the few 1/72 and 1/48 tanks I've made. There's bits of flash here and there and quite a few seam lines. They're not hard to sort out because the plastic is quite soft but it just slows the build down a little.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I would try to avoid putting the moving parts under too much stress. Best to leave them be. Afv club kits can be very rewarding but not for someone who wants a simple build. You will also end up with loads of moulding points that don't join to the sprue.

• Like 1

Not a build update - been spending too much time on my BoB Spitfires - but I thought I would mention that snapper_city very kindly let me know he had some suitable AFV track links for this kit he no longer required and, following a financial transaction, they are now mine! :thumbsup:

They are rather nice and fairly straight forward to put together:

21565446475_2129af6515_c.jpg

There are some pin marks on the insides that I don't think I'm going to worry about - by the time they've been weathered and have some mud, etc. on them they'll be pretty much hidden.

Thank you again Snapper!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Not a build update - been spending too much time on my BoB Spitfires - but I thought I would mention that snapper_city very kindly let me know he had some suitable AFV track links for this kit he no longer required and, following a financial transaction, they are now mine! :thumbsup:

They are rather nice and fairly straight forward to put together:21565446475_2129af6515_c.jpg

There are some pin marks on the insides that I don't think I'm going to worry about - by the time they've been weathered and have some mud, etc. on them they'll be pretty much hidden.

Thank you again Snapper!

Kind regards,

Stix

No problem mate. I'm happy to see them going to good use.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been doing anything on this project due to my only real modelling time being taken up making a couple of Spitfires for the BoB GB. Earlier this week, however, I realised that time was ticking away on this GB and thought I could at least start on the tracks I purchased from Mark (snapper_city) a while back. During the week I get little bits of time where I can do repetitive jobs like assembling track links.

If you have read anything above I was intending just to assemble them but, when I came to look at them, I decided I couldn't leave the ejection pin marks in place - so each link takes 3 or 4 minutes of cleaning up.

Results so far:

21834805059_f205e81702_c.jpg

The BoB GB finishes in a couple of weeks time and so after that I'll get time to concentrate on this project.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I'm here now with my G&T and popcorn, well the G&T anyway.

It looks like a very nice kit from your sprue photos, I'm sure you will do it justice. I'm very tempted to try a tank again but it would have to be on 1/35.

Looking forward to more

John

• Like 1

Still working our how to find certain builds on the forum Stix. Will add this one to my 'Watch-list'.

Nice so far and would put money on an outstanding result :)

I know what you mean Nigel. I frequently find I come across something that's almost complete and I've missed most of the build. Not a problem, obviously, because I can read back through the thread, but I actually enjoy following builds as they develop. My problem these days is that I find I don't get as much time on the internet as I used to. Any free time I get I try and do some modelling and then I find the bits of time I do get browsing here is on things I know a little more about. Ah well.....it's lovely when I do come across a gem by accident in an area of the forum I don't normally venture into.

This kit is going to be my first 'proper' 1/35 build and my first non-WWII tank. I'm really looking forward to doing some more on it.......hopefully soon.

This is coming along nicely!

Thank you Blitz.

I'm here now with my G&T and popcorn, well the G&T anyway.

It looks like a very nice kit from your sprue photos, I'm sure you will do it justice. I'm very tempted to try a tank again but it would have to be on 1/35.

Looking forward to more

John

You are sat with a G&T and I'm sat in the waiting room at Leicester station waiting for the train home!.......... Ah well.........

It is a very nice kit but there are a few bits of flash here and there and some other sink marks that will need some cleaning up, but nothing (so far) too hideous. I have to say I really enjoy building tanks almost as much as making Spitfires!! :pilot:

I shall watch out for if you start a tank at some point.

Hope you have a good evening!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for lack of updates on this project but the two Spitfires I have been building for the BoB GB have taken a lot longer than even I anticipated!

Well they're almost complete so I have turned my attention back to this project.

I had a day off today so I managed to get some building done. First job this morning was adding the remaining parts to the lower hull sides:

22405935855_b02557df7f_c.jpg

I have to say my admiration for 1/35 tank builders has increased dramatically! There seem to be more smaller, more fragile parts than I have come across in the previous tank kits I have made in both 1/72 and 1/48!

These are not the smallest, but they are some of the parts I have assembled today:

22416779731_92a2fe90f2_c.jpg

Some of the parts attached to the rear of the lower hull:

22392771672_87f9a0e5be_c.jpg

......finally I managed to get some of the top parts of the hull attached:

22218225808_aa3e51588e_c.jpg

I think the build is going reasonably well although I have to say that this is quite a tricky kit to put together. Some of the spruce gates are rather large and attached to some very small parts. This, combined with quite fragile plastic, means I have managed to break a couple of parts already. I have repaired them okay but it is slowing progress down a little. Also the way parts locate together is a little hit'n'miss is places.

More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Sorry for lack of updates on this project but the two Spitfires I have been building for the BoB GB have taken a lot longer than even I anticipated!

Well they're almost complete so I have turned my attention back to this project.

I have to say my admiration for 1/35 tank builders has increased dramatically! There seem to be more smaller, more fragile parts than I have come across in the previous tank kits I have made in both 1/72 and 1/48!

These are not the smallest, but they are some of the parts I have assembled today:

I think the build is going reasonably well although I have to say that this is quite a tricky kit to put together. Some of the spruce gates are rather large and attached to some very small parts. This, combined with quite fragile plastic, means I have managed to break a couple of parts already. I have repaired them okay but it is slowing progress down a little. Also the way parts locate together is a little hit'n'miss is places.

Good to see you have your priority's straight again. :bleh:

I think 1:35 is a great scale that lends itself PE, scratch building and really fine detail work that you probably only find with detailed ship builds. The level you can go to is insane. My Bronco M-24 Chaffee has individual PE casting numbers on the hull. Check out page 2 of the wip. :boom::hypnotised::bangin:

I have found the same issues with larger sprue gates. Try chop through the sprue thus taking the part, the sprue gate and a bit of sprue. This should make it easier to remove more delicate parts once they are all removed from the sprue. just beware it doesn't buckle on the other side on the opposite sprue gate.

Coming along well.

• Like 1

Good to see you have your priority's straight again. :bleh:

:rofl: .......well for the time being at least! :blink2:

I think 1:35 is a great scale that lends itself PE, scratch building and really fine detail work that you probably only find with detailed ship builds. The level you can go to is insane. My Bronco M-24 Chaffee has individual PE casting numbers on the hull. Check out page 2 of the wip. :boom::hypnotised::bangin:

I think you are absolutely correct about the level of detail that can be acheived. That Chaffee kit you were building did look to have a stunning amount of detail - some of it ludicrously tiny!!! Did you manage to get it finished?

I have found the same issues with larger sprue gates. Try chop through the sprue thus taking the part, the sprue gate and a bit of sprue. This should make it easier to remove more delicate parts once they are all removed from the sprue. just beware it doesn't buckle on the other side on the opposite sprue gate.

Thank you for the suggestion - I did as you suggested and it does seem to help.

Well I managed to get more done on Saturday and Sunday but I haven't had chance to post any update photos - so here they are -

Coming along well.

First off I've been working on adding parts to the hull so that they can be painted all in one go:

21865941153_d87eca09de_c.jpg

22299178640_49e7676493_c.jpg

I've not followed the instructions with regards the wheels, but I have done some work on them so they are ready to paint at the same time as the hull - this is one of the two sprues of wheel parts:

22461128946_a3029b57f0_c.jpg

I have also made up some parts that I'm going to paint before I attach them:

22300311039_7f040623ba_c.jpg

I've also left off fitting the tools as I will paint them separately and add them later. The last parts I'm going to add before painting are some of very tiny grab handles. There are loads to be fitted and they are very, very tiny and, unfortunately, going to be located in places where I know I'm going to accidentally crush them while handling the hull.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

The Chaffee is still 90% built as I want to scratch the inside of the turret when I get time. It's in a box with my RAAC Cent and a M42 Duster. All between 60 - 90 % built. I'm either still collecting aftermarket bits or not had the time to get serious with them as the painting & weathering I want to do well and go deep with. Aircraft don't need the same level of depth and I find them easier to pick up and put down so they have been getting the minimum time I get modelling these days. Hopefully when I get back on shift next January I will start finding time for AFV's again.

• Like 1

Time for the weekend's update. I'm still having problems with Flickr on my iPad so have to wait until after the weekend to post any updates at the moment.

I have added some PE brackets and the drivers hatch. I have also filled and sanded the 4 ejection pin marks on the front:

22067103823_b87332f28b_c.jpg

I've also been building up the turret parts - the metal barrel is not glued in place yet. There is some lovely detail on this kit but there are still issues with assembling some of the parts. The mantlet cover (which I purchased as an aftermarket item) does not fit particularly well and I had to file off a fair amount of the right hand end of the actual mantlet so the edge could be glued onto the turret.

22067096503_4792f269c3_c.jpg

22699428241_4274544c04_c.jpg

22500308170_14bbbd1a4f_c.jpg

22674668822_605dc9ee2d_c.jpg

22662208266_f642cbc8c7_c.jpg

Then I obviously couldn't resit trying the turret on the hull:

22674651922_68d2707630_c.jpg

22674643232_a4fd827d3e_c.jpg

22065420624_7e1c6d9d6d_c.jpg

22067016733_d2045ecd7d_c.jpg

22674613502_a0c7f5fb78_c.jpg

22674604942_8268ede0bf_c.jpg

22674596042_2376b2cf51_c.jpg

22688133805_6d45e5363e_c.jpg

It was a great looking tank!

More next weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

Starting to look the part now Stix , The AFV club AFV's do go together really well

but I have found that they contain some really delicate parts.

You can really see where the Chieftain evolved from with the Cent.

Looking forward to seeing this with some paint on.

Dan

What's wrong with the mantelet cover? Looks alright to me ( he said, pretending to know what he was talking about) I really am tempted by this, but I have a few more Spitfires to buy first.

Hope you had a good weekend, most of mine was spent in the garden clearing leaves and cutting the grass for hopefully the last time.

Regards

John

Starting to look the part now Stix , The AFV club AFV's do go together really well

but I have found that they contain some really delicate parts.

You can really see where the Chieftain evolved from with the Cent.

Looking forward to seeing this with some paint on.

Dan

Hi Dan. Thanks. I know what you mean about the delicate parts. I think part of the problem, apart from how small some of the pieces actually are - some smaller than 1/72 parts - the plastic they're made from is slightly on the soft side.

And I can see what you mean about the Chieftain.

I'm hoping I might be able to get some paint on this weekend......fingers crossed.

What's wrong with the mantelet cover? Looks alright to me ( he said, pretending to know what he was talking about) I really am tempted by this, but I have a few more Spitfires to buy first.

Hope you had a good weekend, most of mine was spent in the garden clearing leaves and cutting the grass for hopefully the last time.

Regards

John

Hi John. The Mantlet Cover is the cover which covers over the mantlet...... :winkgrin: It's actually this thing:

22500308170_14bbbd1a4f_c.jpg

..........from which the barrel is sticking out.

The mantlet itself is the front part of the tank's turret to which the main gun barrel is attached. It is designed to move up and down to raise and lower the elevation of the gun while firing. Australian Centurion tanks seemed to have been fitted with the covers while in action in Vietnam. :coolio:

When I was trying to fit the cover the right hand edge would not stretch far enough back to touch the side of the turret.............. hence the filing away of the right hand end of the mantlet itself.

I must admit I was nervous about starting my first tank but, with the support from many people here on Britmodeller, I managed to learn enough not to make a complete bodge of my builds. In some ways they are generally a more relaxed build than aircraft - they often looked battered and covered with mud - a good way to hide any modelling errors! :shrug:

I have also, slowly, very slowly, been working on cleaning up and assembling the track parts and.........I now have one run completed:

22727119721_fc94da85b4_c.jpg

22527997740_649fec7c1e_c.jpg

108 parts - they sometimes seem to take forever!! :frantic:

Another run to make then! :fraidnot:

Oh well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Hi Stix, thanks for the lesson in tank nomenclature.

I think if I do eventually get one of these I would go for the easy option on the tracks, 108 parts per side sounds a bit masochistic to me.

That dictionary I had for breakfast worked well.

Regards

John

• Like 1