AFV Club 1/35 Mk.5/1 Centurion of the RAAC - Finished! - photos in the gallery

PlaStix

The Australian Army got involved in Vietnam from 1965 onwards but it wasn't until 1968 that they decided to make use of Centurion tanks. Once these tanks were deployed they were operated by the 1st Armoured Regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps. Despite some concerns before being deployed the Centurions proved to be really good at operating in the jungles and paddy fields of Vietnam. Also, much to the surprise of some U.S. Units, the Australians found it was possible to repair even some fairly major combat damage, on the Centurion, while it was still in the field.

The kit I have decided to build for this GB is AFV Club's Mk.5/1 Centurion of the RAAC. It is a rather nice kit that includes some etch, rubber tyres and a metal gun barrel. This will be my first, proper full sized 1/35 tank build, the only previous 1/35 kit I've built being Tamiya's Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G.

I won't be starting this build properly just yet as I'm trying to finish two Mk.I Spitfires for the BoB GB. Knowing me though I will probably end up starting some bits and pieces before properly getting started.

The box art:
20784850009_9310be8473_c.jpg

The contents:
20784908589_c5fda76a8d_c.jpg
..........wow that looks like a lot of parts!

I also picked up a Mantlet Cover as Centurions in Vietnam had them fitted:
20979076951_3e844e0b85_c.jpg

Over the next couple of days I'll post some closer up photos of the sprues.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10

Looks like a very nice kit, AFV Club kits are a bit underrated, but they are nicely detailed and look great in the box.

If you like building tanks in this scale and there is some budged "unused" i would recommend the AFV Club Churchill kits, they look amazing in the box.

• Like 1

Looks like a very nice kit, AFV Club kits are a bit underrated, but they are nicely detailed and look great in the box.

If you like building tanks in this scale and there is some budged "unused" i would recommend the AFV Club Churchill kits, they look amazing in the box.

Hi Bernd. Yes I've read some good reviews for this kit. There's some issues but nothing too bad. I'll watch out for their Churchill. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Superb choice Stix. This is a great kit that really looks the business when built. Good to see you have the correct mantlet also.

Hi Snapper. Thank you and I'm really looking forward to making it. I'm pleased I managed to find the correct mantelet in a model shop in Brum.

Kind regards,

Stix

Also if you are interested Lion Marc make a resin turret replacement with the mantlet moulded on. But late now but it saves building the turret with all its joins.

Hi Snapper. Thank you for the suggestion but I think I will manage - although it would probably have saved me some time!

Did the version you were making turn out okay? It was a while ago I know but I can't remember seeing any photos - I may have missed them.

Kind regards,

Stix

Unfortunately not Stix. It is still sitting in a box of doom along with my Korean War GB Chaffee and a M-42 Duster. These will probably have to wait until I get some of my life back from the little one as I want to go to town on them. I was looking at Fruil tracks for them all the other day which I will get over the next few months hopefully. Once they are finished I will get them up on the forum. You never know I might carry on a WIP also..

• Like 1

Stix. Your choices for tracks are Fruil metal tracks or AFV Club do individual plastic links. I have the latter still in the bag unused and am 99% sure I will get Fruil instead. I have no idea how the AFV ones are to work with but I really like Fruil tracks.

• Like 2

Unfortunately not Stix. It is still sitting in a box of doom along with my Korean War GB Chaffee and a M-42 Duster. These will probably have to wait until I get some of my life back from the little one as I want to go to town on them. I was looking at Fruil tracks for them all the other day which I will get over the next few months hopefully. Once they are finished I will get them up on the forum. You never know I might carry on a WIP also..

It's a shame you haven't got it finished but I look forward to seeing it and the others in the RFI section at some point .....and possibly in a WIP! :thumbsup:

Well I,m looking forward to this Stix,great subject and that look's like a superb kit to go to town on!

Hi Steve. Yes it does look rather excellent in the box - and there's lots of it and it's big! I'll post some more photos of the parts at some point. Hopefully I'll be able to do something half decent with it!

Blimey that looks very posh.....Big too! :wicked:

I reckon you should consider replacing the tracks with something a bit more solid.....Costly and time consuming I know, but it will be worth it in the end. :nerd:

Stix. Your choices for tracks are Fruil metal tracks or AFV Club do individual plastic links. I have the latter still in the bag unused and am 99% sure I will get Fruil instead. I have no idea how the AFV ones are to work with but I really like Fruil tracks.

Hi Sarge and Snapper. Looking at the tracks again I think you are both right. However I don't think I'll risk metal tracks just yet but I will try and get some AFV Club ones. I have made some of their tracks before and once I got used to them they weren't too bad. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Great choice, one of my favourite Tanks ever.

Hi Blitz23. It does seem to be an impressive beast!

Stix

Check out the reference area in the GB. I have added a couple of links for Australian Centurions. I have been using these for my build.

Thank you Snapper. I will take a look.

Kind regards,

Stix

Okay - as promised some closer photos to show what's included in the box:

Various plastic parts:

20783684278_39dbb44874_c.jpg

20971581275_212896e0c6_c.jpg

20945303156_9904d391f6_c.jpg

20971555845_1f4bd264ee_c.jpg

20945040976_cbbb342353_c.jpg

20978740581_249592f25e_c.jpg

20783301938_ee24b791f4_c.jpg

Instruction booklet:

20961863442_265c340a61_c.jpg

20945410816_120a047407_c.jpg

Various extras including some clear parts, etch, rubber tires and springs:

20783717208_f485737818_c.jpg

Decals:

20784860299_a269a61abc_c.jpg

Tracks:

20971229345_7d29955410_c.jpg

I'm hoping to replace these with some AFV Club track links - more details soon.

.....and finally a rather nice metal barrel:

20971217315_300aaed326_c.jpg

All-in-all it looks like a very nice kit for my first proper 1/35 build. Can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Hi Steve. Well, despite having two Spitfires on the go and starting making the tracks for my Panther build (which I'm not officially starting yet!!!) I'm probably going to start doing something on this tomorrow - just to get it going. Can't wait.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I understand that the rubber tyres can be a loose fit on the rims that can be a problem as the tyres also include a part of the wheel as well?

However help can be at hand either from Accurate Armour or Panzerart?

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=4&subcategory=192&product=2191

http://panzerart.pl/index.php/welcome/produkt/89

• Like 1

Hi Grahame. Thank you for the information and the links. I will investigate the fit on mine and see what I think.

Well, as I suspected, I could not resist getting a bit done on this. It's not much at all but I started with stage one, which went as follows:

21158586435_1c3034edf0_c.jpg

21132347906_f9258c86fa_c.jpg

21166367031_fd0aeeeeb9_c.jpg

So this is what working suspension starts like.....should be interesting! Another one of these to make and four similar units to follow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Suspension looking good. Firestorm Models do some aftermarket for Aussie Centurion including some very non PC decals. Also I have a very good book called "Mud and Dust" after Australian Armour in the Nam....

• Like 2