Airfix 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter TF.X

FZ6

As with a lot of other people I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Airfix Bristol Beaufighter TF.X since it was announced last year and when it arrived I couldn't wait to start it so thought I would do a WIP like I did with the Defiant. (I still need to take some more photos of this one!)

20377605904_ee41e2a325_b.jpg

Airfix 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

I was surprised that Eduard managed to release aftermarket before the kit was available and after looking at the instructions on the Eduard Website I decided that it was worth purchasing. While I'm building the model I'll try and take pics of the parts before and after the etch is added to show the difference it makes.

I was initially tempted to do my Beaufighter as an operation Firedog aircraft and buying the necessary conversion parts to portray this scheme but as the molds indicate that the parts I need may feature in a future boxing I decided to go for a Wartime Coastal Command aircraft.

There is nothing wrong with the kit decals or marking options but I had been inspired by the Article in the May 2015 Issue of Airfix Model World along with the built up Airfix kit and decided to go with the Aviaeology decal sheets.

20812321898_34247e5493_b.jpg

Although I've never used Aviaeology decals before I can highly recommend these decal sheet on the research and the supporting material alone. They have photos of the chosen aircraft and a lot of notes regarding Armament, colour schemes and how they were weathered and retouched along with lists of the different modifications represented on the aircraft chosen in the sheet. It's almost complete package of research material and decals. The Above mentioned issue of Airfix Model World has an excellent article on the variations found on the Beaufighter TF.X and compliments these decal sheets nicely.

I think I'm probably going to make this model to represent LZ451 of 404 Squadron Late on in it's career when the invasion stripes have been partly painted out and the fuselage codes have been moved to above the wing so there is a good opportunity to do a scheme with a bit of a patchwork paint finish with over painted markings etc.

I made a start on assembling the interior. and made a few deviations from the instructions. There are a few ejector pin markings on the inside of the fuselage. I'll doubt you'll see any of them on the finished model but I was still compelled to fill them all!

20973982246_981bae46b7_b.jpg

I then filled in the forward area of the wing root while I was filling the ejector pin marks and at the time didn't realise that the consoles covered this gap and the filling I had done meant I now had to modify the parts to get them to fit. Not a problem but a bit of extra work that I didn't need to do. As I had done this I decided to fix the consolses to the cockpit floor as opposed to the fuselage as stated in the instructions.

20379173023_fd5cb65bd7_b.jpg

As you can see from the above photo of the fuselage the interior has the vertical frames moulded onto the inside of the fuselage but no horizontal ones. As you can see I've had a go at reproducing these and think it has made a big improvement to the inside of the fuselage. To be honest I didn't really need to do the whole interior I could have just done the bits around the openings but htought it was a good opportunity to practice the technique and I'm glad I did because I got quicker and more consistent as I went on. Just got the other side to do now....

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 15

Mine is going together nicely, It really is a nice kit, interior is lacking some parts, heating tube being the main thing missing. Doing a WIP here myself as a SEAC aircraft.

Good luck with yours

Hi Mark,

Very nice start. This is a kit I have in my wish list for a future build, so I'll be following your thread.

How did you do the horizontal frames? Did you use pieces of plastic rod? What was exactly your technique to ensure alignment and correct lenghts?

Cheers

Jaime

Nice to see this build. I've just about completed mine as a fill in build between a GB and another kit. I've used the Aviaeology set too... as "The Ancient Mariner". Adapted and used the faulty short intakes seen on the 404 Squadron Beaus.

One little issue I had was with the port wing root leading edge join..... not to brilliant but easily fixed. Everything else however was good.

One other thing to look out for is the assembly of the prop and shaft. The parts that go behind the prop and fit into the cross braces in the engine area need opening up to the notches so they fit better. Flash issue I think as I found around the rest of the kit. Shouldn't be the case for a brand new tool but there you are. Maybe just on a few kits.

Thanks for all the comments guys I'm really enjoying this build so far.

Mine is going together nicely, It really is a nice kit, interior is lacking some parts, heating tube being the main thing missing. Doing a WIP here myself as a SEAC aircraft.

Good luck with yours

Cheers, I've seen your build and very nice it is looking too.

Hi Mark,

Very nice start. This is a kit I have in my wish list for a future build, so I'll be following your thread.

How did you do the horizontal frames? Did you use pieces of plastic rod? What was exactly your technique to ensure alignment and correct lenghts?

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jamie I used 10 thou plastic card sheet cut into very fine strips. but I think I could have also used stretched sprue maybe. As you may be able to see It's difficult to get a consistent width when cutting strips this fine by eye but I'm happy with it. Especially with what you'll be able to see.

To get the alignment I started where the observers hatch was. I applied a pit of tamiya extra thin cement to the fuselage where I placed my first strip I then lined one of my one of the plasticard lengths with one end touching a vertical frame I then got a curved scalpel blade and pressed it against the plastic strip at the other end until the strip was cut. This ensures the length is good and helps to press it into position. I used a pair of tweezers to make fine adjustments.

I judged the position by eye but if I needed it more exact I might make a spacer out of some scrap plastic to make the spacing equal, I worked down till I had done a whole section and then across. As I went across I used a small ruler to check I it was lined up but if you get each strip square with the vertical sections this helps keep it straight.

I hope this explains but if not I can demo the technique as I'm quite confident now. It was slow going at first but by the time I had got half way through a fuselage side I was getting into it and got quicker.

Another beau to pop in on! Excellent! It would be good to see more about you transfer choice? The set sound a great option

Rob

Hi Rob,

If you look at this website It has a colour illustration of LZ451 in the scheme I want to do with the invasion stripes partially painted out as well as some photos.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/346/Buffalo-Soldier.aspx

Nice to see this build. I've just about completed mine as a fill in build between a GB and another kit. I've used the Aviaeology set too... as "The Ancient Mariner". Adapted and used the faulty short intakes seen on the 404 Squadron Beaus.

One little issue I had was with the port wing root leading edge join..... not to brilliant but easily fixed. Everything else however was good.

One other thing to look out for is the assembly of the prop and shaft. The parts that go behind the prop and fit into the cross braces in the engine area need opening up to the notches so they fit better. Flash issue I think as I found around the rest of the kit. Shouldn't be the case for a brand new tool but there you are. Maybe just on a few kits.

Thanks for the tip off Paul. After test fitting the fuselage seems a bit tight when offered up to the floor and I think it may need some fine adjustment before fitting.

Have you posted any pics of your Beaufighter yet. If not I look forward to seeing some.

I've managed to get a bit more done today.

The second half of the fuselage has now been done. As I'd got more comfortable with the technique I managed to get the second half done quicker.

I think I'll probably add some more detail such as hand rails and the large heating pipe that goes through the fuselage and a few other bits of detail. I know on some interior photos of Beaufighters I've seen it looks like the Observer had an instrument panel facing forward but this doesn't seem to be in the kit or the eduard set and I was wondering if it was only specific variants that had this panel?

21020049846_522814d517_b.jpg

The wings have gone together really well. All I had to do was drill out the holes for the rocket blast plates and glue the two halves together. Fit was perfect. The Ailerons were also a good fit as well. Beaufighters equipped with Rockets had the landing light plated over so I'll probably glue that on next and paint over it.

21036329332_5660a8ceb8_b.jpg

I couldn't resist mating the wings to the fuselage for a dry fit to see what the model looks like.

21036329052_04db3f3b29_b.jpg

I think my next job is going to be cutting the floor hatches open......

• Like 5

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation on how you did the interior framing. It's quite clear. Did you use any reference material to get the spacings right?

Your further progress is looking great!

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation on how you did the interior framing. It's quite clear. Did you use any reference material to get the spacings right?

Your further progress is looking great!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jamie,

Glad the explanation was clear enough. To be honest regarding reference material, I looked at a few photos online as well as my cutaway book but to be honest most of it was done for effect as opposed to being 100% accurate.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie,

Glad the explanation was clear enough. To be honest regarding reference material, I looked at a few photos online as well as my cutaway book but to be honest most of it was done for effect as opposed to being 100% accurate.

Regards,

Mark

That's perfectly fine, Mark. Looks great and adds interest to the model.

Looking forward to your further progress!

Jaime

Thanks for the comments guys,

I've done a bit more work to the Beau but no pictures just yet. I have committed JLC razor saw to plastic and have cut out the floor hatches in the belly and the corresponding holes in the floor and am currently getting them to line up so I can box them in. After studying photos of the hatches they are quite clever and seem to pivot in the centre and swing forward so the rear section goes inside the aircraft and it disrupts the airflow for the crew when exiting the aircraft. I also realised the crew must have used the top hatches when the torpedo was fitted as it completely blocks access to the aircraft from below when fitted. I'll add photos when I've done more work.

IN the mean time I have a pic of the Duxford Beaufighter under restoration I took a few years ago which might be useful to people.

20483573944_0de92d092e_b.jpg

Beaufighter by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

I have a long overdue update for my Beaufighter.

It doesn't look like I've been doing much but I've been busy sorting out the hatch.

Here is the belly before surgery.

21050946580_32a2140520_b.jpg

I then cut out the hatch with my trusty JLC Razor Saw and then had to box in the front with some 20 Thou Plasticard.

20617924723_3076d1d4b2_b.jpg

The hatch itself was made from 20 Thou plasticard. I tried drilling through the side of it to make a pivot but this didn't work so ended up cutting a slot with my Olfa P-Cutter and glued a small length of brass rod for the hinge and corresponding holes were cut out in the belly. The ladder was tricky. I ended up trying brass rod and soldering but kept losing the horizontal parts I made for the ladder. The ladder is now made from guitar string for the main lengths and the horizontal rungs were made from Slaters plastic rod. Again I had problems drilling attachment points for the ladder and it is a bit messy but should clean up nicely.

21212801216_8665144ce0_b.jpgAirfix 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Here the floor is fitted in place and the hatch is shown in the open position.

21050948530_4a9aed8077_b.jpg

And in the closed position.

21212803306_f185180357_b.jpg

While I was making the Hatch I did a little work on the wings when it frustrated me. I made a start at fixing some of the Eduard undercarriage bay parts in place. As you can see they fit well and make a nice improvement to the standard kit parts.

21050947350_c1a52df440_b.jpg

21052205959_01962bf915_b.jpg

As I'm making LZ451 later on in its career the rockets included in the kit aren't the most commonly used and I was wondering how I was going to modify the kit parts and then I the Tamiya Mosquito NF.XIII I purchased arrived yesterday and guess what? the correct type of rockets and rails are included in this kit marked not for use so with a little modification to the locating pegs it looks Iike I can use these parts and save me a lot of work!

20616366594_2baeded82f_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 11

I notice that you've attached the cockpit's side consoles to the cockpit floor. The instructions would have you attach them to the fuselage sides. Your way looks like it might be easier for painting their top sides (called out as black rather than interior green in the instructions). Does it look like everything will come together without hitches when they're assembled in this order? It looks like there may be some locating tabs on the fuselage sides that might interfere if they're not removed, depending on how everything comes together.

• Like 1