RNZAF Lockheed C-130H Hercules

LDSModeller

O Boy, I'm excited, been waiting for this one, so I thought I'd jump in first and post what I have to build.

It's night time here in Auckalnd (2011 hours to be exact), so I haven't taken any photos as yet (tomorrow) as the light is not that great even with flash. I gave it all a wash in very mild soapy water last night, to air dry over night.

So lead up to my build is as follows:

I inherited a C-130H kit from my deceased father's stash, he had been planning to build another RNZAF C-130, so I'll complete it for him. He was ex RNZAF.

The kit is a mixed one, of Italeri (90%) and Airfix (10%) issued by one of the Modelling importers here in the late 90's early 2000's - you could build it in the then Kiwi version of Euro 1.

The kit has issues -obviously the engine nacelles too short, been collecting information on how I might correct this issue.

The kit will be built in the delivery scheme of White/Silver, with 54" RNZAF Fern Leaf Roundels (probably Ventura - though may consider Old model version). It was 50 years ago this year when the first C130's arrived here to begin serving with 40 Squadron.

The C-130's had not been here that long before they began to be deployed to Vietnam starting in 1965 going through to the fall of Saigon.

My Mother mentioned when I was in Primary school (elementary) that my Dad was in Vietnam, but I had never heard him mention it nor did we see any of Vietnam, in any of his slide shows of places he had been to overseas - I know from his papers etc he spent tme with 40 Squadron, so????

Anyway onward and upward, pics to follow tomorrow :thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Alan, nice choice of subject.

The engines in the kit (I assume you are using the Italeri wing/engines?) also have shape issues. If you can get you hands on some Ron's Resin or Flightpath replacement engines that would be the way to go. Also on the Italeri wing the engine mounts are staggered, they should be in line. So you need to add a spacer of about 2mm (1/4") to the outboard mount to bring the engines into line.

I did this with an RAAF 'A' model I built a few years ago.

C-130Aoutboardengineshims.jpg

C-130AOutboardenginesfitted2.jpg

Alan, nice choice of subject.

The engines in the kit (I assume you are using the Italeri wing/engines?) also have shape issues. If you can get you hands on some Ron's Resin or Flightpath replacement engines that would be the way to go. Also on the Italeri wing the engine mounts are staggered, they should be in line. So you need to add a spacer of about 2mm (1/4") to the outboard mount to bring the engines into line.

I did this with an RAAF 'A' model I built a few years ago.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/Aussie747/Transports/C-130/C.jp]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/Aussie747/Transports/C-130/C-130A%2036SQN/C-130AOutboardengi2.jp]

Hi Ray,

Many thanks for that information, one for the mention of the "Flight Path" replacement engines, I've found that Hannants currently have some in stock. Two for the width of the spacer on the outer engines :thumbsup:

Thanks/regards

Alan

Hi everyone,

Some really cool looking subjects being posted for this group build :thumbsup:

Per my initial post, some photos.

You may notice in this photo that there are two different colours in plastic, I thought at first it was Airfix/Italeri, but on closer inspection it's all Italeri. (No boxing though)

FILE0002%20copy_zpsql7fjt1e.jpg

FILE0004%20copy_zpsbegu9ucq.jpg

The original decals with the lower vis Kiwi Roundel

FILE0020%20copy_zpsjiikmivs.jpg

The fuselage halves - interestingly the Port side main gear sponsoon was molded differently to the Starboardside

FILE0006%20copy_zpsghcacn5i.jpg

Nathan at the RNZAF Museum has kindly supplied me copies of the painting/marking instructions for the time.

FILE0013%20copy_zpsrkkq7q9u.jpg

FILE0015%20copy_zpsrq6kbnja.jpg

Now to wait for the Official start :popcorn:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Had no idea Kiwis were in Vietnam

Not only the Herks, but also Bristol Freighters (good old 44,000 rivets flying in close formation :lol: ), also a number of our RNZAF personell flew with both RAAF and USAF units as below (I saw this after I chose my build - would be cool to do this one though)

http://www.airforce.mil.nz/about-us/news/airforce-news/archive/94/image-gallery/mus00040.htm

The New Zealand Army fought as well - from memory, I think my Mother lost a cousin in Vietnam in the army

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/34539/infantrymen-in-vietnam-1969

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I'm not going to enter it in this group build, but I'm also building an RNZAF C-130H in 1/72 scale ( the Italeri kit #015). I'm building it as NZ7003, the one that flew around the world in 1965, and that was the first of the RNAZF C-130s to fly to Vietnam, also in 1965. Just put a second coat of white paint on the top of the fuselage and various other places that I think were white, but I remain confused by all the different paint jobs I've seen in photos. A lot of changes must've been made soon after they took delivery. For example, I've seen the rudders painted white except for part of the leading edge (as per your drawing). But the rudder of NZ7003 was aluminum when it landed in Vietnam in 1965, with the 161 Battery, the first of the Kiwi Army to go to Vietnam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-RfyRseg0 For decals, I'm using the Oldmodels Decals "RNZAF C-130H 1960s High Vis." Thought you might like to know this stuff. Good luck with your build. I'll be following your progress with interest.

Cheers,

Les

I'm not going to enter it in this group build, but I'm also building an RNZAF C-130H in 1/72 scale ( the Italeri kit #015). I'm building it as NZ7003, the one that flew around the world in 1965, and that was the first of the RNAZF C-130s to fly to Vietnam, also in 1965. Just put a second coat of white paint on the top of the fuselage and various other places that I think were white, but I remain confused by all the different paint jobs I've seen in photos. A lot of changes must've been made soon after they took delivery. For example, I've seen the rudders painted white except for part of the leading edge (as per your drawing). But the rudder of NZ7003 was aluminum when it landed in Vietnam in 1965, with the 161 Battery, the first of the Kiwi Army to go to Vietnam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-RfyRseg0 For decals, I'm using the Oldmodels Decals "RNZAF C-130H 1960s High Vis." Thought you might like to know this stuff. Good luck with your build. I'll be following your progress with interest.

Cheers,

Les

Hi Les,

From some of the photos I have of the RNZAF C 130's first arrival, it appears that the white was on the Vertical Stab, but replaced at some point (possibly soon) after arrival with the Aluminum Corogard, which may explain its appearance on NZ7003 in Vietnam.

The first 3 Herks arrived with US 6 inch yellow tips, but again later this was replaced with the familiar white and red tips. So change were made, the reasons, may be to bring in line with US schemes operating in/out of Vietnam.

Thanks/regards

Alan

Hi Les,

From some of the photos I have of the RNZAF C 130's first arrival, it appears that the white was on the Vertical Stab, but replaced at some point (possibly soon) after arrival with the Aluminum Corogard, which may explain its appearance on NZ7003 in Vietnam.

The first 3 Herks arrived with US 6 inch yellow tips, but again later this was replaced with the familiar white and red tips. So change were made, the reasons, may be to bring in line with US schemes operating in/out of Vietnam.

Thanks/regards

Alan

Regarding the prop tips, in one early photo ("Around the World Crew 1965" http://fourwindsrnzaf-com.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=198583376), the tips appear to be unpainted. They also appear to be unpainted in the first part of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-RfyRseg0 I suppose this could be just the lighting or a combination of lighting and photo fade, but I don't think so. I'm leaving my model's tips unpainted, at least for now, as I want it to represent that first flight to Vietnam, on July 15, 1965. There is more information about this flight in "Operation HOTPOT" here: http://fourwindsrnzaf-com.webs.com/operation-hotpot

Hi Les,

Thanks/regards

Alan

Regarding the prop tips, in one early photo ("Around the World Crew 1965" http://fourwindsrnzaf-com.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=198583376), the tips appear to be unpainted. They also appear to be unpainted in the first part of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-RfyRseg0 I suppose this could be just the lighting or a combination of lighting and photo fade, but I don't think so. I'm leaving my model's tips unpainted, at least for now, as I want it to represent that first flight to Vietnam, on July 15, 1965. There is more information about this flight in "Operation HOTPOT" here: http://fourwindsrnzaf-com.webs.com/operation-hotpot

Hi Les,

This photo is not mine hence the link, the photo is just after arrival here in New Zealand, but if you look at the lower prop blade on the Port outer engine, you can see the yellow tip, (click on photo to enlarge)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112125468@N06/16936139666/

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

If I had been able to find a model in time for the group build, along with the aftermarket conversion ( the conversion is easier to find), I would have entered one in the GB :thumbsup:

Have some fond memories of the Bristol Freighter.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

If I had been able to find a model in time for the group build, along with the aftermarket conversion ( the conversion is easier to find), I would have entered one in the GB :thumbsup:

Not to derail the thread, but would you mind elaborating further on the conversion? I'm a sucker for RNZAF roundels.

Hi Les,

This photo is not mine hence the link, the photo is just after arrival here in New Zealand, but if you look at the lower prop blade on the Port outer engine, you can see the yellow tip, (click on photo to enlarge)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112125468@N06/16936139666/

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I can make out the yellow on the nearest prop in this flickr photo. I'm wondering if the props lost their yellow paint from the tips during that around the world trip. Is that possible. I don't usually fret about things like this, but this one got me going. It was 50 years ago, so I doubt that anyone could remember. From the lack of markings, the aircraft in that photo was obviously recently delivered. Will this remain one of those mysteries? How are you going to paint the props on your C-130?

Not to derail the thread, but would you mind elaborating further on the conversion? I'm a sucker for RNZAF roundels.

More than happy to help out with info on the "Freighter"

Old Model Decals does a conversion (reworked Kiwi resins) - they have a specific one for over seas customers - scroll down to the third Bristol Freighter conversion - not sure they provide decals with this, so you might need to Email/PM them -Old Models is a member here on BM

http://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/NZ-Kits---Kit---Decal-Combos.html

HTH

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

I can make out the yellow on the nearest prop in this flickr photo. I'm wondering if the props lost their yellow paint from the tips during that around the world trip. Is that possible. I don't usually fret about things like this, but this one got me going. It was 50 years ago, so I doubt that anyone could remember. From the lack of markings, the aircraft in that photo was obviously recently delivered. Will this remain one of those mysteries? How are you going to paint the props on your C-130?

Hi Les

As my Dad used to say (former RNZAF) "Anything is possible".

I have seen (just yesterday and can't remember where) a photo of one of our C 130's in current scheme where the prop tips (white outer section) are starting to wear away to show the paint/metal underneath. Obviously lots of use.

It's quite feasible that given the milage (back then miles still in use :D ) covered by the C 130, that the tip paint started to or did wear away. I'm sure the ground support crew accompanying the aircraft, had more important things to think about.

To my knowlwedge the yellow tips continued till at least 1967 when the new/current "White /Red/White scheme was introduced.

One thing to bear in mind, is that the yellow tips can be hard to see. Check out this link, of an RNZAF C 130H in early scheme at Port Moresby. The prop tips appear to be unpainted, but close scrutiny shows yellow there

http://opdiner.com/wp-content/gallery/dads-slides-1955-71/c130-port-moresby.jpg

I have been tossing up between the yellow and White/Red/White, probably the yellow tips. a little more obscure type from our RNZAF Inventory ^_^

Regards

Alan

Hi Les

As my Dad used to say (former RNZAF) "Anything is possible".

I have seen (just yesterday and can't remember where) a photo of one of our C 130's in current scheme where the prop tips (white outer section) are starting to wear away to show the paint/metal underneath. Obviously lots of use.

It's quite feasible that given the milage (back then miles still in use :D ) covered by the C 130, that the tip paint started to or did wear away. I'm sure the ground support crew accompanying the aircraft, had more important things to think about.

To my knowlwedge the yellow tips continued till at least 1967 when the new/current "White /Red/White scheme was introduced.

One thing to bear in mind, is that the yellow tips can be hard to see. Check out this link, of an RNZAF C 130H in early scheme at Port Moresby. The prop tips appear to be unpainted, but close scrutiny shows yellow there

http://opdiner.com/wp-content/gallery/dads-slides-1955-71/c130-port-moresby.jpg

I have been tossing up between the yellow and White/Red/White, probably the yellow tips. a little more obscure type from our RNZAF Inventory ^_^

Regards

Alan

That's a great shot of 03, Alan! Thanks for sending it. I see what you mean. It would be easy to miss that yellow, especially after a few thousand miles (or kilometers, as the case might be) on those props. I'm going with the yellow tips, but showing a little wear and fading. :)

Hi all, bit of an update on the build.

Saturday morning, had the hosue to myself, so cranked on the album "Ballards of the Green Berets" by SSgt Barry Sadler, and cut plastic.

The forward landing gear well to see how it looks with the lower forward bulkhead

FILE0033%20copy_zps0yzvejpz.jpg

The flight deck just sitting together to see how it all looks, and see what I have in respect to area for weight

FILE0035%20copy_zpskbnwt3sl.jpg

The flight deck floor with some Tamiya putty to cover the attachment holes for the lower bulkhead - some additional things to add in here once putty is dry.

FILE0041%20copy_zpsqsipdx5j.jpg

Placed the starboard Main wheel well to gain some perspective, and noted that I will have to fill in the "hollow" with some card

FILE0040%20copy_zpseesvg8fg.jpg

Took a look at the rear cargo bay framing to see if I needed to add extra to this.

FILE0037%20copy_zpsyhv72swk.jpg

Photo of the frame structure on the real aircraft, may need to add some extra I think. :confused:

Alans%20photo%20Cargo%20ramp%20interior%

Thanks for looking in. :bye:

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2

Hi Alan,

I notice that you posted only Sheet 1 of 3 and Sheet 3 of 3 of the painting/marking instructions. If you have Sheet 2, would you please post it. I thought I'd finished painting my C-130, but now I'm wondering ... . BTW, the masking was great fun. Good luck with yours. Can't wait to see it. I'll send you a photo of mine when I'm convinced I have the paint scheme right.

Les

Hi Alan,

Do you have tiny holes in the outer leading edges of the wings? (See photo) They look as if something was meant to go there, but I can't find anything in either the instructions or in photos. Any ideas, or should I just plug 'em up?

IMG_4979_zpsszit6dl7.jpg

Hi Alan,

Do you have tiny holes in the outer leading edges of the wings? (See photo) They look as if something was meant to go there, but I can't find anything in either the instructions or in photos. Any ideas, or should I just plug 'em up?

IMG_4979_zpsszit6dl7.jpg

Hi Les,

The same hole is on the wing of my model. No idea why it's there or what it's for

I have attached a link which has some C 130 photos including RNZAF (3/4 page down). There is something there looks like a lense or something, but at present moment, as above what it is????

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=23189&start=180

Will have to investigate further

Regards

Alan

Nothing goes in the hole, I would fill it.

Just outboard of it is the wingtip Nav light. You will also see a small protrusion next to it angled out and down. This is a small perspex 'panel'. When the Nav lights are on they shine on it which gives the pilots an indication that the lights are on and serviceable. Otherwise they can't see the tip lights from the cockpit.

Just outboard of it is the wingtip Nav light. You will also see a small protrusion next to it angled out and down. This is a small perspex 'panel'. When the Nav lights are on they shine on it which gives the pilots an indication that the lights are on and serviceable. Otherwise they can't see the tip lights from the cockpit.

Thanks, TT. I have larger concerns, so I'm filling them. However, they might come in handy as drain holes, if my man cave ever floods.

Hi Ray,

Many thanks for that information. I had seen the "small protrusions" and wondered what they were, now I know. :)

Kind regards

Alan