Recommended Alclad colours for the engine area on the F-100?

Procopius

I have a pair of Esci F-100Ds that I want to build -- does anyone have a recommendation for which Alclad 2 colours I should be using for the sort of heat-distressed bare metal area around the engine?

14316080563960.jpg

I always start my bare metal finishes with Alclad Gloss Black Primer, followed by Polished Aluminium. That is the base that I use , followed by various shades as you see fit for the discolouration around the 'hot' section of the engine, from the afterburners rearwards. I use some Pale Gold, Dark Aluminium, Burnt Iron, Exhaust Manifold and some clear red / yellow and blue add tone without detracting from the metallic effect. It's fair deal of work, but slowly does it and you will get a good result.

Here's one I did earlier, I'm happy with it, but there are some seriously excellent F100s on line if you search.

Anyway, this was done as described earlier:

F-100C-002_zps5f2504ce.jpg

• Like 4

Here's one I did earlier, I'm happy with it, but there are some seriously excellent F100s on line if you search.

Yes, like the one you've just put up. Crimeny!

Doesn't the polished aluminium lift easily, though? Can you seal it with a gloss coat?

Thanks for the kind words! But there are some ridiculously good ones around, there was one by a French modeller I saw that was incredible. I'll try and find a photo, I think it was on this site...

On my own build, yes, it was gloss sealed, but after a serious application of Phil Flory's wash!

DSC_0551_zps62b8b0bc.jpg

After that lot had been wiped off, the airframes was varnished prior to decalling.

Found it!! This is probably the most realistic model I have ever seen! This could easily be the real thing. The complete article is here.

18_62_zps7ed2067b.jpg

Whilst I was looking though, I found this beauty!

2013_09_11_3153_zps1f3984c5.jpg

I have a huge fondness for this aircraft. In fact anything with a huge nose intake just looks so good in my eyes!

Good luck with yours!!

• Like 1