1/72 Airfix Gnat Red Arrows & Yellowjacks

I built these two tiny jets, early this year, as part of my aerobatic teams collection in 1/72. Both are painted with Humbrol enamel and finished with a coat of Humbrol Clear Gloss Varnish.

Note: Now that I am almost completing the collection of Red Arrows and Yellowjacks, i noticed that there has appeared a new scheme of Red Arrows 2015, so I'll be happy to assemble the new scheme in the near future. (c'mon! Airfix we need the 2015 decals :))

001_zpsil46rfj0.jpg

12_zpsq7w0wegu.jpg

01_zps6rkxq3mb.jpg

02_zpse4izu9ek.jpg

03_zps4es20aca.jpg

04_zpsigefb3y4.jpg

05_zpstaslv5ya.jpg

06_zps70acxrhq.jpg

07_zps1ja3mayx.jpg

08_zpsj73eqevr.jpg

09_zpsbn6rtq0j.jpg

10_zpss2rprljz.jpg

11_zpssixsa6op.jpg

• Like 33

Hi Orlando,

at the best of time I am not a fan of aerobatic teams' aircraft, commemorative schemes, etc.

But I dare say that your tiny Gnats look smashing in these liveries. To paint a plane glossy red or yellow and not make it look like a cheap toy is ridiculously hard. Your Gnats look perfect!

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Hello,Orlando - Well done on two lovely looking builds of your Gnats.I particularly like the 'Yellowjacks' scheme.A very smart collection of Display Jets indeed.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Orlando... These are all just beautiful and they are very well photographed as well.

Now someone here is bound to ask - what Humbrol paints did you actually use for the red and yellow (# 99 perhaps!).

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

thank you guys!

Orlando... These are all just beautiful and they are very well photographed as well.
Now someone here is bound to ask - what Humbrol paints did you actually use for the red and yellow (# 99 perhaps!).

Cheers.. Dave.

Dave, the red is Humbrol 238 Arrow Red gloss, and the Yellow is Humbrol 69 Gloss Yellow.

The trick to get vivid colors (red, orange, light blue and yellow) is to paint a white layer before the main color. If you don't give this white layer, it will be hard to get real colors. It's a world of difference with or without the white layer.

Orlando

• Like 1

Great tip Orlando.. Thanks for the white base advice.

I would have probably got there in the end after ruining a few of my little Gnats on the way.

Cheers and once again - perfect modelling. Dave.

• 1 month later...