Vulcan at the eyrie

canberraman

At the request of the 48th FW Commander, Vulcan XH558 in company with up to 3 F-15 Eagles, made several flypasts of RAF Lakenheath while en-route to the Clacton airshow on 27 Aug 15. It is thought that this was the first time the Vulcan has been accompanied by F-15s, and it certainly made for a fantastic spectacle. I just wish the sun had shone!

032a1_zpsrl6hei0k.jpg

037a1_zps8qyhsh7e.jpg

020g1_zpsuolttnqy.jpg

025v1_zpsbpkb3dam.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mark

• Like 14

Now that's something you don't see everyday.

What a great combination. Two of my all time faves in one shot. Perfect. The first shot in silhouette is spectacular. Loving the Vulcan's smoke trails.

Thanks for sharing these.

Cheers.

• Like 1

What a sight. Highlight of its last season? Great pics canberaman as always!

thanks for putting them up!

• Like 1

That photo makes you appreciate just how big the ' Flying Tennis court ' is.

The air-to-air picture published by RAF Lakenheath probably gives an even better illustration of this:

https://www.facebook.com/RAFLakenheath/photos/pcb.1126169480744376/1126181810743143/?type=1&theater

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I wonder if one of the RAF's Typhoon or Tornado squadrons (9 and 12 Squadrons both being former Vulcan numberplates) could make a similar phone call before the Vulcan is retired?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback from what was probably a unique event. I agree it's a shame we couldn't see a similar formation with some of the modern day ex Vulcan sqns before its too late, but I suspect that won't happen. Those 'official' air to air shots are ace, imagine what it was like to be amongst that formation!

Cheers all

Mark

Thanks everyone for the feedback from what was probably a unique event. I agree it's a shame we couldn't see a similar formation with some of the modern day ex Vulcan sqns before its too late, but I suspect that won't happen. Those 'official' air to air shots are ace, imagine what it was like to be amongst that formation!

Cheers all

Mark

Could be an interesting mixed formation though: XH558 flanked by two Tornados from each of 9 and 12 Squadrons in company with a couple of 27 Squadron's Chinooks

• Like 1