Airfix brings a 1/72 B-17G!

WildeSau75

I built the old Airfix B-17G with my dad circa 1978, if the new kit doesn't have Milton Canniff's seminal artwork as an option I for one will be bitterly disappointed!

Mmmm Cheescake...

Bit O' Lace was from an earlier batch, and although it has the Cheyenne tail turret, it had the earlier, non-staggered three piece waist windows.

Therefore, if Airfix are doing a late batch staggered waist version, it'll only be the single pane window and thus Bit O' Lace will not be an option.

The vast majority of these Forts were NMF, but Douglas built 300 or so that had the staggered waist guns, Cheyenne tail and were finished in OD/NG... so those like me who are next to useless at NMF can still have some fun!

Tom

• Like 1

I've found myself tonight looking at various 8th AF B-17G's for possible model projects.....LOL

Same here!!

As I mainly build RAAF and RAF subjects I did not realise how many B-17 references I actually owned.

Funnily enough, it's this research phase that I think I most enjoy about this hobby, however things somehow turn to custard once I finally get my hands on the plastic... I keep telling myself - one day I'll build the perfect kit!

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 2

I have mentioned this already. A Cletrac in 1/72/1/48 would be very nice (Airfix, please take note)

Mark

Bit O' Lace was from an earlier batch, and although it has the Cheyenne tail turret, it had the earlier, non-staggered three piece waist windows.

Therefore, if Airfix are doing a late batch staggered waist version, it'll only be the single pane window and thus Bit O' Lace will not be an option.

The vast majority of these Forts were NMF, but Douglas built 300 or so that had the staggered waist guns, Cheyenne tail and were finished in OD/NG... so those like me who are next to useless at NMF can still have some fun!

Tom

I remember this from quite some time ago. The waist hatches can be done, I did have the Academy kit a few years back, it had the option for staggered or non-staggered, so Airfix could this. I want 'Bit O Lace'!

Mark

Yes, on the Academy kit you have to cut out the windows from the inside. Airfix could produce that also. Another option could be to make a clear panel, which could be fitted on the both waist gunner positions. ( Like the Hase's B-24 front or Revells B-17 front) But I doubt that you don't see a seem line. This would work only with a really precise moulding.

You must have a cached version. I can't view it even through a VPN.

I was getting a 404 as well, but it works if you remove he trailing slash.. so try the following..

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/5889

Looking forward to the kit!

hmm.. I don't know much about B-17s.. but on the rendering, it looks like the props are turning the wrong way?

Edited by hovering
  • Like 2

B-17 looks nice, bit underwhelmed with the vehicles though, they're nowhere near as utilitarian as those included in the RAF set. :confused:

Utilitarian means "ordinary, practical, everyday" as opposed to "decorative"

These are items found on almost all WW2 USAAF bomber bases, used all the time in their hundreds and thousands.

Not entirely sure what's wrong with that.

Shane

• Like 1

There is one plus for the Revell B-17G - the Mickey Mouse radar;

its a minus in the same kit - no markings for this special version and no markings on the after market for a Mickey Mouse Fortress.

Let us hope for Airfix to do a better job.

modelldoc

Yeah, the render has the props pitched the wrong way, the photos of the real thing in the same Airfix link show that the render is reversed regarding the props

Don't know what you mean ;)

9F7F9632C2A54EEC91A00477B90795C8.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure I like the Airfix trend of not supplying a bomb load in bomber kits...

Lancaster

Heinkel 111

Whitley

all SANS bomb load, to their credit, decent/or partial load jobs in Do17Z and Blenheim kits but what are you supposed to do if you want to build say a Heinkel 111 buy the Dornier 17Z kit just for the bomb load? Even the Lanc you have to buy 3 bomber resupply sets if you want to fill it up with 18 x 500 pounders, hands up who likes dealing with the fiddly Eduard resin aftermarket sets which require razor saws and are extremely fragile and sniffing super glue (not me)!

Bring back the bomb load Airfix!

I hope the B-17G will not be empty, Revell if I remember correct at least supplied a paltry few bombs...

Even the old tools were patchy - no bombs in the old tool Airfix B-17G (If I remember correctly no bomb bay either) but a full load and bomb bay in the Airfix Marauder!

Remember the old Airfix Marauder kit had full load

Lancaster

Heinkel 111

Whitley

all SANS bomb load, to their credit, decent/or partial load jobs in Do17Z and Blenheim kits but what are you supposed to do if you want to build say a Heinkel 111 buy the Dornier 17Z kit just for the bomb load? Even the Lanc you have to buy 3 bomber resupply sets if you want to fill it up with 18 x 500 pounders, hands up who likes dealing with the fiddly Eduard resin aftermarket sets which require razor saws and are extremely fragile and sniffing super glue (not me)!

I hope the B-17G will not be empty, Revell if I remember correct at least supplied a paltry few bombs...

Even the old tools were patchy - no bombs in the old tool Airfix B-17G (If I remember correctly no bomb bay either) but a full load and bomb bay in the Airfix Marauder!

But I'd make the kits all buttoned up without the bob loads on show, in the case of the B-17 I'd do a 100 Group aircraft which didn't carry any bombs.

If it's a choice of a cheaper kit and no bombs that's the way I'd prefer to go, at least I've got the options of buying the extra bombs should I decide differently.

Just goes to show, you can't please everyone...

Wez

The he111 stores its internal bombs vertically, so even if they were included you would only see the tail fins? Surely a bit of plastic card to replicate this isn't too hard? If you look at the hasegawa kit it 'has bombs' represented by just a line of plastic in the bomb bay part.

Nice b17 though

As far as I remember many Airfix classics had no open bombays option. ( B-17/24/ 25?/Do 17/217/Ju88/He111/ Blenheim/ Mosquito/Hampden/Wellington? etc.)

The Marauder was a generally well detailed one. The Stirling/ Sunderland/Lancaster and B-29 had this option.

But I don't like the tendance to omit these things from a kit. If they do so, like Hasegawa does for more profit, they should bring just high qualiity armament sets out for these. Not always a need for resin sets. I don't think the kit will be just cheaper only because of omitting the load. Anyway, I wlecome this kit, if the outline is correct and especially the the shape and thickness of the nose blister.

Cheers

Lancaster

Heinkel 111

Whitley

Let the kit makers concentrate on the planes, and the aftermarket gives us the bombs

• Like 1

Looks fine in that shot ;)

Cheek guns are also staggered...cough, cough...... :pipe:

That reminds me Mr Airfix, any chance of leaving the crew access hatch with an option to be left open? It would work well in diorama's with ground equipment as they were often left in that position when being worked on.

Decal options for the 34th Bomb Group in Mendlesham would be superb, either with the kit or as an aftermarket. Here are a few examples:

http://www.markstyling.com/3ad_b17s4.htm 8th one down called Sweet 17, though nose band should be white. Here's a closeup!

http://www.markstyling.com/3ad_b17s/3ad_cu_36.jpg

I don't suppose there are a lot of us still around who built the original Airfix 'G' model. I did, back about 1965, and yes, it was A Bit O' Lace and I loved every moment of it.

The old kit was wrong in so many ways and that mattered not a bit. I too will get the new one, especially but not only, if they repeat the scheme.

Wow - the nostalgia!

I didn't build it but one Christmas morning in the late 1960s my dad reached down under my parents bed and, with great ceremony, produced one that he'd built for me.

I was absolutely amazed at it. All the turrets worked and the guns went up and down. I don't think he'd painted the NMF, but he had done the yellow fin, and all the detail painting. I played with that plane endlessly.

It outlasted all the others in my air force, but eventually - sans guns, props and undercart - it went the way of all models owned by small boys in those days!

Revell supplied the Heinkel He 177 with bombloads. In that case there are those "flying bombs" used om ships during the war. an importing thing to tell the true story about war. Concerning the B-17 it would be to hard to make those bombs as well. There are plenty photos and also movies cencerning the bombbays on the B 17 (Memphis Belle for example). I think it is an important thing to produce such a historic kits with the bombs.

I built the Sunderland, the B 29 and the Maurader 30 years ago. It was really educationell building those kits.

Remember the closed bombay on the old B-17...

What would an Royal Navy aircraft be without an torpedo?

//André

Edited by Andre B