Airfix brings a 1/72 B-17G!

WildeSau75

At least it will be better(hopefully) than the awful acute dihedralled wing of the Academy one. But I am still hoping yhye will do a UK Phantom...

By the way, I suppose with all these early announcements, there won't be the Christmas advent calendar teasers.

Looking forward to the USAAF bomber supply set much more than the actual bomber, it is shame they haven't included that caterpillar tracked tug thing (clacktrack or something) that I can never remember the name of.

I don't understand why Airfix have felt the need to bring another B17 onto the market, the current rebox looks good enough for me. Having said that I will probably buy the new kit just the same.

Ah, the 'Cletrac' named after 'Cleveland Tractors'. I'd pretty much kill for one of these in 1:72. I hope they can see their way to doing one as well as a bomb truck, basically a truck with a socking great RSJ above it to hoist the bombs and move them. As far as I can tell all the bases had both these items but can you find them in 1:72? ....difficult if not impossible.

• Like 1

....just had a look at the Airfix website and yes we have a bomb truck in there!! Yes yes yes!!! :yahoo:

Please can we have a Cletrac as well? It was ubiquitous and nobody else makes one in 1:72.

I don't suppose there are a lot of us still around who built the original Airfix 'G' model. I did, back about 1965, and yes, it was A Bit O' Lace and I loved every moment of it.

The old kit was wrong in so many ways and that mattered not a bit. I too will get the new one, especially but not only, if they repeat the scheme.

• Like 3

Ah, the 'Cletrac' named after 'Cleveland Tractors'. I'd pretty much kill for one of these in 1:72. I hope they can see their way to doing one as well as a bomb truck, basically a truck with a socking great RSJ above it to hoist the bombs and move them. As far as I can tell all the bases had both these items but can you find them in 1:72? ....difficult if not impossible.

There was a 1.72 kit out there somewhere, just it was too expensive for my tastes and I can't remember who the manufacturer was.

would be nice too but honestely I would rather have some new tool 1/72 and 1/48 jets like Vampire, Venom and Hunter. We got quite some new WWII prop planes from Airfix lately.

Cheers,

Michael

Hunter! Hunter! Hunter! Hunter! Hunter!

• Like 2

I don't suppose there are a lot of us still around who built the original Airfix 'G' model. I did, back about 1965, and yes, it was A Bit O' Lace and I loved every moment of it.

The old kit was wrong in so many ways and that mattered not a bit. I too will get the new one, especially but not only, if they repeat the scheme.

The kit might have been dodgy but box has to be in with a shout at the best box ever.

• Like 1

Yes it was the old box arts, why I bought most of them as a kiddy and the fact that they were available together with Matchbox's in the village where I grew up. Revells only in a town 20km away and personally not reachable without my parents. And because of that this:

If I will do one, then as the old Airfix one or as the old Matchbox 2'nd patches or one of the bloody 100th on their raid to Münster, where I live now. I have a special book released here called "Bomben auf Münster". My mother grew up 40 km away north west of Münster near Enschede and was 5 years old, when Münster was destroyed heavily for the first time. She and my grandma often told me about that night, where the whole sky was glowing red orange. And they could smell the fires on that distance. Cheers

Edit : This book: http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/buch-bomben-auf-muenster-stadtmuseum-1983-1984/325273777-76-16787

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Just finished the Revell, I liked it. Dorsel turret sits too high, though. Did think about trying to turn it into a 100 Group Fortress 3, but I think the staggered windows would have been too much of a challenge for me.

the Airfix kit has the staggered waist windows

Ooh!

I have seen the original box art and it is quite an "attention grabber". Never did buy one as the later packaging with a picture of a built up model clearly showed the flaws. My first B-17 was actually the Matchbox kit and I would it describe the profile as reasonable. Internal detailing was quite bare particularly the nose section. I went with the Hikin' for Home scheme due to the nose art and the nmf with bright red sections on the wings and stabilisers.

You make me feel young. I built my first model of any sort (yes, it was Airfix) at Christmas 1962, my first four engine bomber - Lancaster - about five years later and the old Airfix B-17 soon afterwards so later than you. I was still in primary school anyway! Who cared if it was accurate, it sure had a lot of GUNS!

Shane

• Like 1

Same here.

Regards,

Murph

I finished the Revell G about a year back, loved it! I'll be getting my mitts on one of these Airfix ones for sure.

If theres room to speculate here, i'm also going to bet on a new tool Vulcan being announced near christmas. With XH558 on her way out this year I cant see Airfix missing the opportunity to release one in the time of biggest fanfare. Could be another busy year!

• Like 1

I built the old Airfix B-17G with my dad circa 1978, if the new kit doesn't have Milton Canniff's seminal artwork as an option I for one will be bitterly disappointed!

Mmmm Cheescake...

You make me feel young. I built my first model of any sort (yes, it was Airfix) at Christmas 1962, my first four engine bomber - Lancaster - about five years later and the old Airfix B-17 soon afterwards so later than you. I was still in primary school anyway! Who cared if it was accurate, it sure had a lot of GUNS!

Shane

I never built the B-17, but a friend of mine did about that time, then gave it to me to blow apart with bangers. His mum wasn't very pleased.

I've grown out of that, I hasten to add.............

Paul.

• Like 2

Why? It's a good kit too and affordable. I have two, a "B" and the Revell "G" but will be getting the F

Just based on my suspicion that the new Airfix B-17 will eclipse it. The Revell kit has a lot of problems, none of which are insurmountable. This review highlights some of them:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=226516

I will most likely build my Revell kit. Heck, I even have the "Big Ed" set for it. The panel lines on the forward fuselage sure do look like they were done by a bricklayer though! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

WOW ! Airfix has heard my lustful cries for some USAAF ground equipment ..... and an Autocar tractor ! My prayers have been heard ! Can't wait . I hope the B-17 G will have a B-17 F model to follow soon . Maybe even the Memphis Belle decals.

Shane

You are young! I built my first B-17 from Lindberg (according to the net, it was 1/64, but who cared then), around 1953!

• Like 2

I recall having the original Airfix kit, however not in the original Roy Cross artwork but in that ugly priod where pretty mediocre built models graced the box tops. Even as a twelve your old I knew that something was not quite right, so sold it to a mate long before the eBay boom and swap meets were popular.

I'm glad to see this new kit, however not as excited as I probably should be. The bomber re supply set however looks like a real winner and like others on here would think that a Luftwaffe set is probably not that far away either. This will then tie in with all three Airfix airfield personnel sets so it all makes sense to me.

Cheers.. Dave.

I also built the original Airfix 'heavies' and am looking forward to doing it again and hanging them from the ceiling of my man-cave. I would like to hang them in the bedroom as I did 50+ years ago but I think that plan will be vetoed by SWMBO.