1/72 B-17G Airfix, Released. New boxing Fortress MK.III also released. New B-17G boxing for 2021

sofiane1718

It's hard to know what Airfix are thinking regarding possible future releases of this kit.

The fuselage sprues seem to suggest that an extended earlier tail piece could be an option, however would this also require the non-staggered waist gun positions from these earlier versions?

If that's the case, then (and I'm no B-17 expert) we may also need new fuselage halves as well as the extended tail.

The clear sprues also suggest a H2S dome, so one would surmise that a 100 group RAF version is also planned.

2016, saw a number of 2015 new tool kits re-released into slightly different versions - He111H, B5N1 Kate, Late Beaufighter, Car Door Tiffy, perhaps a RAF Fortress III is on the agenda for 2017?

Cheers.. Dave

I'm no B-17 expert but the staggered waist guns came in earlier than the Cheyenne tail. If Airfix give is the standard tail there's plenty of B-17 that can be built from the kit.

As Tbolt says the staggered waist guns were introduced quite a while before the Cheyenne tail turret was introduced.

An ideal scenario would have been for Airfix to provide both versions of tail turret, but leave the modeller the option of opening which ever waist window configuration they wanted to depict in the starboard fuselage half. This would mean they'd have to provide two different types of waist window glazing, but there'd be almost endless options of building any early/mid-production block B-17G onward.

However, doing it as they have means Airfix can then go on to release numerous other versions of the kit in various 'new editions' (such as earlier Gs, Fs, Es etc) forcing us B-17 fans to spend more of our cash :)

Edited by tomprobert

Both tail turrets would have made things alittle easier.

Even the Douglas camouflaged ones Tom mentioned rolled off the Long Beach production line with the original turret in place and unstagged waist guns as did all the later NMF ones too....because that's what the Army Air Corps had paid for. All the upgrades to turrets etc took place post production

Some of the Douglas -30DL aircraft were later fitted with the "Cheyenne" turret at the Wyoming Modification Center others had the swap done once the aircraft was assigned to a Bomb Group using field kits....others never got them...Welcome to the minefield of B-17 research...LOL

Workers cutting off original turret to fit a Cheyenne position.

13516171_1770230239889631_51747656367855

13438968_1770229626556359_29067522038839

13533222_1770230193222969_82725680196012

13567516_1770229373223051_51674032130527

Rosie & pal removing the nose windows ready for cheek gun install.

13501577_1770229896556332_10322686776902

And the new parts ready to go on....like a big Airfix kit...LOL

13516655_1770230566556265_50081317075757

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

In stock and on its way apparently to ChuckB Towers. P40 is taking precedent though

Its arrived. Problem they have sent me two and only billed me for one.......... ooops and thanks Airfix

• Like 2

Got mine too.  Looks like Airfis are planning an SB-17 or versions fitted with H2X or Mickey radar installations:  radomes are in the box already (sorry, no photos at present).  C'm'on chaps; you know you WANT to do a 100 Group RCM version, don't you?

First impressions are good: panel lines are quite fine, but not as many round the nose as on Revell's kit; lots of interior detail, most of which won't be seen; pilots' seats are five parts and two transfers each; three-part seats for navigator, bombardier, wireless operator(s); separate rear door; full depth tailwheel well (a first?); full detail for retracted undercarriage legs and jacks; separate main wheels and tyres.

Some of the painting instructions look a bit sus: Dark Earth cockpit side walls & roof?  Night cockpit floor? Aluminium ("Aloominum" ?) fuselage interior and wheel wells throughout?  No delineation of de-icing boots on flying surfaces (they were removed from/not installed on some late-war aircraft, which had thermal de-icing instead IIRC).  Transfer sheet looks very nice; effectively three options (one subject served with two units and both are covered) and future issues will probably feature de-icing boots if required, a bit like the yellow leading-edge stripes on the 1/72th Typhoon for example.

The B-17 isn't one of my favourite aircraft (I prefer the B-24), but I enjoyed building Airfix's original B-17 a long time ago (and I stil have an unbuilt example in the loft in the horrid Palitoy box) but this kit looks like it will provide plenty of enjoyment and a bit of an AMS bust as well as a reference source for sprucing up an Academy Flying Fortress B. Mk. I.

One note of warning: it looks like the Airfix packaging gremlin has struck again.  One of our local Club members got a kit with two sets of upper wing surfaces and no undersurfaces.  Two other kits from the same retailer, mine included, have been checked and are not deficient in this respect, having the correct number and selection of mainplane parts.

Edited by stever219
Additional info.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Some of the painting instructions look a bit sus: Dark Earth cockpit side walls & roof?  Night cockpit floor? Aluminium ("Aloominum" ?) fuselage interior and wheel wells throughout?  No delineation of de-icing boots on flying surfaces (they were removed from/not installed on some late-war aircraft, which had thermal de-icing instead IIRC).  Transfer sheet looks very nice; effectively three options (one subject served with two units and both are covered) and future issues will probably feature de-icing boots if required, a bit like the yellow leading-edge stripes on the 1/72th Typhoon for example.

Cockpit area should be dark bronze green,the black cockpit floor will be the non/slip/skid coating applied  over the wooden flooring under/behind the cockpits seats extending back to the FE/Top Turret gunner position...and yes WW2 B-17's were unpainted bare aluminum thru out the fuselage and wheel wells...restored aircraft are painted green for anti-corrosion 

Really want to see the tail turret built up so i can see just how bad the seam will be...would have been much better if Airfix had molded the clear glazing as a seperate part and the left/right sides of the turret along with the gunslot pumpkin in the grey plastic

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

Got mine too.  Looks like Airfis are planning an SB-17 or versions fitted with H2X or Mickey radar installations:  radomes are in the box already (sorry, no photos at present).  C'm'on chaps; you know you WANT to do a 100 Group RCM version, don't you?

First impressions are good: panel lines are quite fine, but not as many round the nose as on Revell's kit; lots of interior detail, most of which won't be seen; pilots' seats are five parts and two transfers each; three-part seats for navigator, bombardier, wireless operator(s); separate rear door; full depth tailwheel well (a first?); full detail for retracted undercarriage legs and jacks; separate main wheels and tyres.

The B-17 isn't one of my favourite aircraft (I prefer the B-24), but I enjoyed building Airfix's original B-17 a long time ago (and I stil have an unbuilt example in the loft in the horrid Palitoy box) but this kit looks like it will provide plenty of enjoyment and a bit of an AMS bust as well as a reference source for sprucing up an Academy Flying Fortress B. Mk. I.

One note of warning: it looks like the Airfix packaging gremlin has struck again.  One of our local Club members got a kit with two sets of upper wing surfaces and no undersurfaces.  Two other kits from the same retailer, mine included, have been checked and are not deficient in this respect, having the correct number and selection of mainplane parts.

As I thought when I first saw the built up pictures, that a lot of the panel are missing on the nose section - Airfix added panel lines where there aren't any on the P-40 and missed them here! Oh well a bit of careful scribing required.

• 1 month later...

New boxing expected in Q2 2017 - 1/72nd Boeing Fortress MK.III - ref. A08018

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/boeing-fortress-mk-iii-1-72.html

• Scheme 1 - “Take it Easy”, No.214 (Federated Malay States) Squadron, No. 100 (Bomber Support) Group, Royal Air Force Downham Market, Norfolk, England, 1944.
  • Scheme 2 - KJ121 44-8624 6G-B 223 Squadron 

a08018.7.jpg  Boeing Fortress MK.III 1:72  Boeing Fortress MK.III 1:72

Boeing Fortress MK.III 1:72   Boeing Fortress MK.III 1:72

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

I`m just building the new Fortress as a 100 Group machine but I think that the H2S radome in the kit is located too far forward and doesn`t look right,......so I`m using the Paragon vacuformed one. The glass dome under the nose behind the radome is provided on the clear sprue, but I couldn`t find anything else.

Cheers

Tony

Doesn't look too bad,the ECM aerials look alittle clunky.

Flame dampers,Chaff chute & waist gun bumpstops look good.

Can't tell if we'll get the black out curtain for the nose...only other negatives i see with the CAD are the nose check guns(not fitted on RAF Fortress III) and it still has its ball turret which should be romoved and plated over like the colour scheme side profiles..

Will be adding to the stash no doubt...here's hoping for a early 'G' or B-17F in 2018

Also noted the B-17G/8th Air Force Resupply combo for £49.99

With decals for 'Thundermug' one of the few Camouflage Douglas built aircraft with the staggered waist and late tail for those who dislike NMF.

11031501_10206012916636113_7016669886581

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/eighth-air-force-resupply-set-1-72.html

Edited by mungo1974
  • Like 2

On 04/01/2017 at 10:57 PM, mungo1974 said:

Doesn't look too bad,the ECM aerials look alittle clunky.

Flame dampers,Chaff chute & waist gun bumpstops look good.

Can't tell if we'll get the black out curtain for the nose...only other negatives i see with the CAD are the nose check guns(not fitted on RAF Fortress III) and it still has its ball turret which should be romoved and plated over like the colour scheme side profiles..

Will be adding to the stash no doubt...here's hoping for a early 'G' or B-17F in 2018

Didn't some Fortress III's have the ball turret fitted?