1/72 B-17G Airfix, Released. New boxing Fortress MK.III also released. New B-17G boxing for 2021

sofiane1718

C'mon Mungo,

Don't tell me you haven't dreamt about squeezing into that ball turret and letting off a few rounds of 0.50 cal at those Gerry's?

That Boxart is got to get every little boy (read ageing middle aged modeller) excited.

Cheers.. Dave

Dave, opinion on the possibility of doing the new kit and the old kit as a side by side build? This thread has really got me thinking about the Christmas time builds. Do them OOB and see what they turn out like, I could build the old one as I did with the old man and then using all my lack of accrued skill and enthusiasm to build the new one as I would today.

Mungo what you reckon? No chopping about on the new kit just build it up side by side?

C'mon Mungo,

Don't tell me you haven't dreamt about squeezing into that ball turret and letting off a few rounds of 0.50 cal at those Gerry's?

That Boxart has got to get every little boy (read ageing middle aged modeller) excited.

Cheers.. Dave

Dave, I'm 183cm tall & weigh in at 110 kgs. I don't think I could squeeze into a B-17 at all, far less one of its gun turrets!! :lol:

Allan

Dave, I'm 183cm tall & weigh in at 110 kgs. I don't think I could squeeze into a B-17 at all, far less one of its gun turrets!! :lol:

Allan

Negative thoughts Allan - where there's a will - there's a way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been inside a Lancaster. On the ground of course. The rear turret on that is a real squeeze. Only place I felt comfortable was the bomb aimer's office. Quite roomy with a nice view and an escape hatch underneath. That's where I'd have been!

Ian

Well I've only been in a B-17 once 'Sally B' maybe 20 years ago and there wasn't much room then,even in the rear fuselage...the following years havin't been good to my body being in my 40's with a expanding waistline I'd struggle even more now...LOL...There's a reason these things were flown by young men barely out of their teen's.

Need to find someone to draw/print some nose art for various B-17's i'd like to build...so many choices

Dave, opinion on the possibility of doing the new kit and the old kit as a side by side build? This thread has really got me thinking about the Christmas time builds. Do them OOB and see what they turn out like, I could build the old one as I did with the old man and then using all my lack of accrued skill and enthusiasm to build the new one as I would today.

Mungo what you reckon? No chopping about on the new kit just build it up side by side?

Why not....Go for it i say

• Like 1

It's amazing how deceptive the myriad of photographs of the insides of a B-17 are, it really is pretty cramped at best, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to traverse from radio room to cockpit in flight.

If you are so inclined there is still much fun to be had from the original Airfix kit. I've had one on the go for 18 months now, just moving on to wheel wells, but here is the cockpit part way through:

f4cd3284-565a-40f3-b3a1-5bc15523dc51_zps

May have to surrender on the oversized engines though, I want it to keep some of the essence of the original.

• Like 1

H2S Dome on clear parts so i guess we are getting a 100 Group Fortress III option at some point

Just spotted that too. My wallet's going to be in intensive care.

Ohhh, long live the Political Correctness. Where are a sexy pin up noseart ? Two absolute boring camouflage scheme :/

On US Bomber from WW II MUST BE a BIG TITS GAL :D But i know, we live in strange time when Playboy banned their iconic Playmates, so why giving a pin up to scale kits :/ ?

I can back to eightees ! Sniff :(

• Like 1

Sorry but the temptation has been too much.......... :bouncy:

:coat:

Sexist moment over with, in my defence I was reflecting upon the male view in the 1940's

:bobby:

Edited by chuckb1

Few year back Academy re-relased their B-17G as "Nose Art" re-box and here was three OD "G" (and one half OD and Bare Metal - Little Miss Mischief the same as is in Revell).

Few year back Academy re-relased their B-17G as "Nose Art" re-box and here was three OD "G" (and one half OD and Bare Metal - Little Miss Mischief the same as is in Revell).

'Little Miss Mischief' had non-staggered waist guns - the Academy release was incorrect in this respect as it had the later staggered waist gun configuration. The new Airfix release also has the late configuration, so options for OD B-17s are limited to a batch of 300 Douglas built Fortresses only, of which photographic details are few and far between. Two I know of are 'The Reluctant Dragon' of the 96th BG and 'Skipper' of the 306th, but other than that I've been unable to pin down any solid photos of any others.

Also the Airfix kit appears to only have the Cheyenne tail turret, which is no good for any of those OD options. It's a shame they haven't put the standard tail in the kit as well.

Edited by Tbolt

Also the Airfix kit appears to only have the Cheyenne tail turret, which is no good for any of those OD options. It's a shame they haven't put the standard tail in the kit as well.

There were 300 camouflaged Douglas built B-17Gs with staggered waist guns and the Cheyenne tail turret - see below. As I mentioned above I have good info on two of these 300 but haven't been able to track down photographic evidence of any of the other 298 yet. OD options are certainly limited from the Airfix kit as it is - I agree it would have been good to have the singer tail turret too as this would give many more options.

26659794013_b6fd6459f8_c.jpg

Edited by tomprobert

There were 300 camouflaged Douglas built B-17Gs with staggered waist guns and the Cheyenne tail turret - see below. As I mentioned above I have good info on two of these 300 but haven't been able to track down photographic evidence of any of the other 298 yet. OD options are certainly limited from the Airfix kit as it is - I agree it would have been good to have the singer tail turret too as this would give many more options.

26659794013_b6fd6459f8_c.jpg

As you can see from the quote I made was referring to the Academy "nose art" kit which has both tails in, but the OD options are only for the standard tail.

Edited by Tbolt

It's hard to know what Airfix are thinking regarding possible future releases of this kit.

The fuselage sprues seem to suggest that an extended earlier tail piece could be an option, however would this also require the non-staggered waist gun positions from these earlier versions?

If that's the case, then (and I'm no B-17 expert) we may also need new fuselage halves as well as the extended tail.

The clear sprues also suggest a H2S dome, so one would surmise that a 100 group RAF version is also planned.

2016, saw a number of 2015 new tool kits re-released into slightly different versions - He111H, B5N1 Kate, Late Beaufighter, Car Door Tiffy, perhaps a RAF Fortress III is on the agenda for 2017?

Cheers.. Dave

It's hard to know what Airfix are thinking regarding possible future releases of this kit.

The fuselage sprues seem to suggest that an extended earlier tail piece could be an option, however would this also require the non-staggered waist gun positions from these earlier versions?

If that's the case, then (and I'm no B-17 expert) we may also need new fuselage halves as well as the extended tail.

The clear sprues also suggest a H2S dome, so one would surmise that a 100 group RAF version is also planned.

2016, saw a number of 2015 new tool kits re-released into slightly different versions - He111H, B5N1 Kate, Late Beaufighter, Car Door Tiffy, perhaps a RAF Fortress III is on the agenda for 2017?

Cheers.. Dave

I'm no B-17 expert but the staggered waist guns came in earlier than the Cheyenne tail. If Airfix give is the standard tail there's plenty of B-17 that can be built from the kit I think.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

As you can see from the quote I made was referring to the Academy "nose art" kit which has both tails in, but the OD options are only for the standard tail.

Apologies - misread and thought you were referring to the new Airfix release.

• Like 1

I'm no B-17 expert but the staggered waist guns came in earlier than the Cheyenne tail. If Airfix give is the standard tail there's plenty of B-17 that can be built from the kit.

OK - Then yes, the extended tail would offer many more possibilities.

Then it's probably up to us (the modelling public) to decide - buy this kit now, or hold your money for a while to see what 2017 or beyond may have to offer?

Cheers .. Dave.