1/72 B-17G Airfix, Released. New boxing Fortress MK.III also released. New B-17G boxing for 2021

sofiane1718

This conversation really took a direction I had never expected! Anyways, back to plastics as they say, many of us wish Airfix would also produce an earlier variant of the B-17G or even the F model. Well, I'm one of them wanting an early G too but, if that would lessen the availability of their current version I would turn to think otherwise. If Airfix wants to produce a new decal edition of this very kit every year, I say do it and pick my 💸, as long as the plastic is this good. V-P

A friend of mine built the relatively new tool Revell B17G and I have the new tool Airfix and for all the grief Airfix seem to get for their panel lines they are much, much better than the Revell which looks like the Matchbox trencher was let loose on acid (in fact the Matchbox fort is better IMHO!) 

TT

• Like 1

I'm part way through one of the new tool Airfix B-17s and am greatly impressed with it. The level of detail and general fit has been very good indeed. The few criticisms I have are that Airfix do seem to struggle with sharp 90º edges on smaller parts and that on my two kits, the Cheyenne tail turrets are of considerably smaller diameter at the fat end than the fuselage, leaving a horrible step, particularly around the underside.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

I think it's a poor choice of subject. Potentially offensive to some customers and unnecessary as there are lots of other subjects that could be picked.  Airfix promotes modelling as kid friendly, so sexual references on their models don't sit well with that.

Hopefully, wiser heads will prevail and they'll pick another subject.

I couldn't find a way of deleting my comment so have just editied it instead.  It was concerning the nose art.  Nothing radical or controversial but I realised perhaps the subject had run its course and it is tme to get back to the plastic.

Edited by Meatbox8
It seems the subject has run its course.

16 hours ago, malpaso said:

5 dollars would have been a bargain - the nose art was £5 with breakfast.  I think it was 4 bucks to the pound back then, so 20 dollars, apparently that was the going rate in nicer parts of London...

See above.  Edited.

Edited by Meatbox8

6 hours ago, Paolo6691 said:

First I don't see any problem in a pin-up decal on a plane.

I remember I bought the original Airfix B-17 with my mom when I was 10 or so and that one had a pin-up on the box art, my mom didn't had any problem at the time.

I also think as said before that a building a bomber and then being shocked by pin-up decal is quite misguided.

We should be careful, if this the approach only airliners will be offered soon (no war, no sex content), and then only gliders (not polluting),   

Be careful what you wish!

You're forgetting the 'Mile High Club', so no airliners either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

You're forgetting the 'Mile High Club', so no airliners either. 

My figure painting skills are not good enough in 1/72, even the most fervid imagination would be able to see that from figures painted by me in 1/144!  🤪

• Like 1

You all haven't seen the box arts of war figures, there are often dead bodies lying around on them and lots of blood (recently released Gladiator figures for example).

Personally I find those more unsuited for kids than a bare breast than can hardly be made out and has no details at all.

Just my 0.02$, no offense meant.

• Like 3

Agreed. A B-17 without a pin up girl on the side is not a real B-17 in my books 🤣 Back in my younger modelling days aged 11 or 12, I would actively choose subjects if they had a nice pin up on the decal sheet. Airfix B-17 and Esci F-100 spring to mind. Make of that what you will.

I will echo the point about the internet though. Having four kids myself, I despair at times of the things they see and are exposed to online. I know this from comments they make and from things they discuss, things that had never entered my head at a similar age. There's really not much you can do as a parent either, especially when they are way more tech savvy than I am. A pin up on an Airfix decal sheet are the least of our worries compared to what can be found in cyberspace. I mean, just look at this website! 🤔🤣 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Paolo6691 said:

My figure painting skills are not good enough in 1/72, even the most fervid imagination would be able to see that from figures painted by me in 1/144!  🤪

You could always buy some Preisser figures.  They have some vey saucy ones for model railways.

• Like 1

Let's hope Airfix has started a M.Sgt Jay Dee Cowan noseart special series, and goes all the way to produce the fabulous quintet he made. The A08017A gave us the "Looky Looky", the 08017B will give us the "5 £ With Breakfast" and I shall be very much expecting the "Bobby Sox" - the greatest noseart ever. Go check them all and the man behind them here:

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/113950

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Let's hope Airfix has started a M.Sgt Jay Dee Cowan noseart special series, and goes all the way to produce the fabulous quintet he made. The A08017A gave us the "Looky Looky", the 08017B will give us the "5 £ With Breakfast" and I shall be very much expecting the "Bobby Sox" - the greatest noseart ever. Go check them all and the man behind them here:

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/113950

Wow.  Never seen Bobby Sox before.  That's quite something.  

• Like 1

Off on a slight tangent, but check out the work of S/Sgt Sarkis Bartigian - famous ones include 'The Dragon and his Tail' and especially 'It Ain't So Funny'. 

I think he just regarded USAAF B-24s as his own personal and very large canvases! 

33 minutes ago, IanC said:

Off on a slight tangent, but check out the work of S/Sgt Sarkis Bartigian - famous ones include 'The Dragon and his Tail' and especially 'It Ain't So Funny'. 

I think he just regarded USAAF B-24s as his own personal and very large canvases! 

Wow. The Dragon and his Tail is good, but It Ain't So Funny is Epic! How long must it have taken to do that?

1 hour ago, IanC said:

His work was astounding. Other favourites of mine were "Mabel's Labels" and "Michigan" and I think "Cocktail Hour" could have been one of his as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. I came here for the B-17 stuff but got diverted by discussions on nose art and the rest of it. Regrettable to see "snowflake" get an airing, I've never seen that on this forum, which I've always found civilised to the point of being genteel. (On one of the Facebook groups, that I've now left, one of those occasional swastika debates popped up and there was a feller calling others "snowflakes" for feeling a bit queasy about the symbol and its connotations. Right.)

As for kids and nudie lady nose art... I work in a school and teenagers nowadays are pretty worldly. There's subject matter that they don't bat an eyelid at that would have had me and my mates giggling and blushing when we were their age. Probably doesn't even register.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

I have just looked at the nose art for the reboxing of this kit

I cant believe Airfix are going to run with that 5 Dollars with Breakfast nose art

I know this isnt aimed at kids with pocket money, but I can just imagine little Johnny building this with his dad

" oohh look daddy this one has got a naked lady on it, what does 5 Dollers with breakfast mean ?

Good luck explaining that one away

Google images is full of B17 nose art

I am no prude but surely Airfix could come up with something better than this, or am I just being oversensitive ?

Oversensitive dude, You or a kid are building a bomber of Mass Destruction - I prefer to have a heavenly body landing on me rather than 1000lb bombs out of a 17.

• Like 3

I love how the museum caption makes Bobby Sox into some innocuous sounding laundry scene:

"Nose art of a woman holding a sock"

But Carolina, Alice, Looky and Fiver have either defeated the curators' Victorian sensibilities or they can't even bear to look at the pictures alongside the caption!

"Markings and paint scheme/livery - Not yet known"

🤔

• 5 months later...

Not impressed with the boxart at all, to be honest. The Cheyenne tail turret is a way too short, while the bombs dropping down the stream are totally unrealistic. Seems to me that the Airfix artist often tries to put too much action in one place, for no reason.

• Like 1