Open or/and closed panels: The solution ?

Homebee

How to offer the open and closed panels choice to the modellers!

Here's the fair engineering solution proposed in the brand new Freedom Model Kits F-20 Tigershark (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978555-18002-freedom-model-kits-f-20a-tigershark-148).

Source: https://www.facebook.com/832469846768673/photos/a.832473110101680.1073741827.832469846768673/1153222161360105/?type=1&theater

Freedom Model Kits EU

F-20 Tigershark kit in 1/48 has hidden doors inside the kit. This is to help you add electronics or gun bays later. Either scratch build or wait for some aftermarkets to come along. We added the door ribs to the inside just as added detail to make this easier for you. Simply cut along the lines (hold up to a light source and see "through" the plastic which will guide you through the cut).

We hope you enjoy our innovative approach to model kits.

11885326_1153222161360105_45066653092936

V.P. Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Good point Selwyn, but hopefully a/m sets would include replacement panels (like Aires' avionics bays for the legacy Hornet). On balance, a decent idea IMO!

So, if you are using after market replacement panels, what's the point in putting panel detail on the inside of the kit?

Selwyn

• Like 1

Or why not design the kit buttoned up, no panel inner details but still retaining the cut lines inside, and design separate panels at the correct thickness and with accurate inner details? No crying anymore, both sides happy ;-)

• Like 1

So, if you are using after market replacement panels, what's the point in putting panel detail on the inside of the kit?

Selwyn

Or why not design the kit buttoned up, no panel inner details but still retaining the cut lines inside, and design separate panels at the correct thickness and with accurate inner details? No crying anymore, both sides happy ;-)

Totally agreed. I wouldn't care if the interior detail is there or not; just approve of the 'cut-out if you want' solution instead of the 'fight to button it up' one!

• Like 1

Getting the correct thickness of panels in injection moulded plastic is effectively impossible. This kit is a good compromise.

If you doubt me then do the maths. Resin gets closer and etch closer still but still way over scale.

Personally I think it's a good idea, helps the model maker add detail, makes an easier result for the aftermarket people, and no issues for those who want a straight forward or in flight build.

Freedom Models have listened to comments and acted on them, keep on criticizing for no good reason and that'll soon stop. It's cost extra to do this and whoever pushed it through needs support or it won't happen again.... :2c:

• Like 2

It was a compromise for those who wanted open panels and didn't want to scratch build new doors. The idea is to allow for all eventualities, if that's at all possible.

The modeller who wants scale thickness can scratch build their own new doors using a coke can (or whatever) and then add their own ribs, from scale plastic or whatnot. He or she then wins and gets what they want.

The modeller who just likes the doors open to show off some gubbins (and for those who are not interested in scale thickness) is satisfied because the ribs and detail are done for them.

The modeller who doesn't want to open the panels is happy because theres nothing for them to do.

Why wouldn't you want them included if we can include them? We took the opinion that it was worth doing to be innovative and to listen to our customers. THAT is our priority here.

If you don't want these details we can easily go backwards and not bother with the engineering or CAD time. However, I don't think that is what the masses would want so we will keep adding little touches like this to make modelling more enjoyable to everyone.

I know it's hard to please everyone and perhaps that's why companies don't bother. However, we are different. I hope!

Regardless, we added easy to cut panel areas to help out those who want to open the panels because we can :)

We also took the opinion that it's hard to get the doors to fit right if they were opened up by us. Most modellers complain of having to fill those areas where they don't want to open the "doors" and the engineering is wrong. We looked at it from a different perspective. Why not give modellers the guide and the capability rather than dictate?

It's up to you now. Open or not.

Edited by Freedom Models Martin
  • Like 9

For info, the Eduard 1/48 MiG-21 kits employ the same type of method for the front airbrakes. They are moulded closed, but if you want to open them, you cut them along the panel lines, and Eduard provide inserts to glue behind the hole, plus supply separately moulded and detailed airbrakes to fit in the open position.

I can't think of a better way to do it without supplying entire alternative fuselage parts

Cheers

Les

I quite like this approach as it really is as close to "The best of both worlds" as we're likely to have from what a manufacturer can practically put in a box and still limit themselves to styrene instead of going full multimedia.

I personally like to build all my models "buttoned up" so as no to interrupt their general outlines; but it's nice to know the option to build them open is there if I choose to go off that path for a build or two.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...