USMC UH-1N

My latest build, hopefully starting this weekend will be another Huey, this time a UH-1N "kitbash/conversion/scratchbuild" w/ever term you want to use, that I've had on the "drawing board" for a couple of years now...

This, as the base kit -

it_2692_title.jpg

Plus this (I'm taking the weapons off it because I was informed that cobra company no longer ship to the UK when I enquired about their MH-53 weapons pack. Not sure what I'll do with the rest of the kit though...) -

129620-10238.jpg

Plus this (CMK M260 7 shot rocket pods, waiting on delivery of them though, but I have a package being delivered on Saturday that Royal Mail couldn't get through my letterbox so I'm hoping it's these (can't be anything else really)) -

6029-1-1_48_us_m260_hydra_rocket_pod_6_p

Plus custom decals where necessary and a couple of parts from a 1/48 Revell UH-1 Hog (the under fuselage weapon mounts, cut in half and tapered at each end on each side under the fuselage)...

Will hopefully equal something like this (but armed obviously, although I'm not sure how historically valid/accurate arming an OD/Field Green UH-1N is with what I intend to arm it with??) -

uh1_huey_uss-new-orleans-lph11_1977.jpg

Or like this, I haven't decided yet...

Photo_41.jpg

These are my references for the armament, although I think most, if not all, are of the weapons on UH-1Y's, but they're close enough to what I've seen on a couple of UH-1N's and I've been reliably informed they're correct, so I should be good to go on building those, should be quite straight forward, couple of paper clips for the tubing, some plasticard and styrene rod for the triangular mounts is all I'll need to scratch build...

U_S_Marine_Corps_Sgt_Andrew_Morey_perfor

Flickr_DVIDSHUB_3rd_MAW_Fwd_Makes_explos

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault2.jpg

UH_1_Y_Door_Gunner_Afghanistan.jpg

Don't know if I'll do much of a WIP thread in terms of progress reports but keep your eyes peeled...

BTW any other reference images of the helo above, or similar "field green/OD" UH-1N's would be appreciated, all I keep finding, apart from a couple I've already come across, are pics of the more recent grey colour scheme...

Edited by Raven Morpheus
  • Like 3

This looks like an interesting project. I'll be following it. Now I'll wade into the Olive Drab controversy. About a year ago I did a lot of research. and I e-mailed one of the editors of Finescale Modeler magazine. One of the things that I found out was that the Testors Modelmaster FS 34087 that most kit manufacturers reference for OD on WWII aircraft is incorrect. FS 34087 is actually considered to be a closer match to the OD that was used in Viet Nam, and probably your helicopters. I'm probably going to be using FS 34086 on most of my WWII aircraft builds. I know that I might have walked into a "snake pit" with this post but I hope that it helps a little bit. Bob H.

• Like 1

Not sure if I've identified them correctly, Armycast produce a set of two M-134 miniguns in1/48th scale

Yeah I plan on getting those when I do a "Black Hawk Down" U(M?)H-60L. But I need one of the Ma Deuces (Browning M2) from the MH-60G kit, or Cobra Company's MH-53 weapons pack (which actually had everything I needed for this build weapons wise) and as I can't get the latter into the UK now I opted for the Italeri MH-60G kit as a source for those.

I have the parts now for this build though (well I'm waiting on the rocket pods but they're on the way)...

This looks like an interesting project. I'll be following it. Now I'll wade into the Olive Drab controversy. About a year ago I did a lot of research. and I e-mailed one of the editors of Finescale Modeler magazine. One of the things that I found out was that the Testors Modelmaster FS 34087 that most kit manufacturers reference for OD on WWII aircraft is incorrect. FS 34087 is actually considered to be a closer match to the OD that was used in Viet Nam, and probably your helicopters. I'm probably going to be using FS 34086 on most of my WWII aircraft builds. I know that I might have walked into a "snake pit" with this post but I hope that it helps a little bit. Bob H.

Yeah, I've been told the colour I'm looking for on this build is FS34095 Field Green. It's not OD as used in Vietnam on A, B, C, D and H models of Huey.

I have a couple of paints lined up to try for a match though. :hmmm:

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Done some work on this today, just basic assembly of parts, and it occurred to me - I have no ammo cans for the minigun or Ma Deuce or flex ammo feed chutes...

So I've decided to buy the Armycast 1/48 Minigun set and see how I fare with the PE flex chutes and resin ammo boxes.

Might mean I have a 1/48 MH-60G minus a Ma Deuce going spare now though, doh!!

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Some progress pics, nothing special, just a basic paint job on the interior and basic helo built -

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

It's coming together well although the "dog house" on the top needs a bit of filling and seam filing, the roof doesn't seem to want to go on very well and I think my interior is sitting a little too far forward?

And...

...I think I may have made a cock-up by putting the seats in the rear of the cabin as I'll have to remove those and the poles to install the ammo boxes and flex feed chutes...

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Luckily I've not sealed the fuselage up yet, it's all just taped together. I'm also wondering if I should stick a couple of pennies under the interior floor (if there's even room!) as I'm not sure it's sitting right.

Still not sure on the colour either, the two paints I've tried today, one of which claims to be field green (the one I used on my UH-34), aren't really what I'm looking for and they both matched each other, I could not tell the difference - they were Vallejo Model Air 22 Camo Green and 71.093 Field Green!

I'm waiting on Tamiya XF-58 to see if that's more the colour I'm looking for...

Edited by Raven Morpheus
  • Like 1

As well as putting a "dirt" coat onto the interior, using Flory Pro Modellers dark wash, I sealed the fuselage up today, all apart from the 2 parts of the roof as I need to put the windows in the cockpit doors...

The roof seems to fit quite nicely now that I've done that, although I'm sure the swash plate/rotor assembly is still too far forwards. No pics either, not enough light, we have a rainy day in my part of the UK!

Edited by Raven Morpheus

• 11 months later...

Decided to get back to this model this afternoon, spent an hour or so tidying it up on the outside and then put down a coat of Mr Hobby Aqueous FS34097, boy did that spray great, don't know what the rest of the range is like but thinned 50% with UMP thinners it sprayed beautifully!

Will post pics at some point...

Don't know if it's of any interest to anyone but I found out what the more modern UH-1N in Marine Field Green that I've been looking at for source reference's is -

158270%20Cherry%20Point%2014-5-13.jpg

It's BuNo 158270 of HMLA/T-303 Atlas Mag 39 MCAS Camp Pendelton. It was painted that way in 2011 for it's final flight and in honour of Medal of Honor recipient Major Stephen W Pless of VMO-6, who flew a UH-1E during the Vietnam war out of Quang Nai.

http://militaryaviationjournal.com/2012/04/uh-1y-retirement-marine-corps-base-camp-pendleton.htm

http://www.verticalmag.com/features/west-coast-sendoff-html/

http://vietnam-hueys.tripod.com/Medal%20of%20Honor%20page.htm (3rd one down the page)

I will probably be representing that helo with this build now, as it's easier to print the few black decals I need (I already have the Marines decal in black courtesy of the kit) than it is to faff around with white decal paper to make decals for the older UH-1N's I've been looking at. Doubt the overall green of the fuselage will be a match though.

Edited by Raven Morpheus
  • Like 1

Sitrep - this is where I was before start of play today -

IMG_20160816_172502437.jpg

My camera seems to have over exposed the image a little or increased it's brightness somehow, the green is a little darker than that and doesn't look patchy to the naked eye.

This afternoon/evening I spent a short while painting all the bits and bobs you can see unpainted in the picture above. including the nav lights, added the tail gearbox assembly and radio aerial and I've laid down a coat of Future, just hope it doesn't go all "orange peel" like it did on my Porsche 917/10...

Looking at the model and then looking at my reference photos the green actually doesn't seem all that far off (the photo above doesn't look how it looks to the naked eye).

I've tried to add as many of the avionics lumps and bumps as I can, there's actually a couple of bits underneath you can't see in the photo above, and I realise that the fin on the top at the front is erroneous however I don't feel I can take it off neatly enough.

Going to make a start on the weapons system next, and get the rotors all assembled and painted black.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

• 2 weeks later...