1/72 Fine Molds Koensayr BTL-44 Y-Wing Starfighter - With lighting.

Been wanting to build one of these for a while after all the new Ban-Dai kits coming throuh. After the Millenium Falcon, Fine Molds Y-wing was regarded as their top kit, that's why i have 2 in the stash.

Back at the beginning of the year i bought a simple lighting kit at the Peterborough Model Show from Tydirium models.

So I'll be adding this to the mix.

So here's the box and sprue shots etc.

DSCF1419.JPG

DSCF1420.JPG

DSCF1425.JPG

DSCF1426.JPG

DSCF1430.JPG

DSCF1431.JPG

DSCF1434.JPG

DSCF1437.JPG

DSCF1439.JPG

• Like 2

**Update** - Cockpit Part One.

Ok, so kicked this build off.

Usual fare, start with a very basic cockpit build indeed.

Parts removed and cleaned up for assembly.

Primed and then paint Tamiya nato black for the most part and mr hobby aqueous H308 for the grey.

the little guy for the pit has been painted up.

DSCF1471.JPG

DSCF1475.JPG

DSCF1481.JPG

DSCF1487.JPG

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 6

looks good so far - I was looking at this kit online the other day and was wondering about it - your WIP build is well timed.

I have yet to work out and perhaps you can help. Are Fine Moulds and Bandai one of the same as both seem to make the same box lid art worked kits? I may be being stupid here but what's the difference?

I have yet to work out and perhaps you can help. Are Fine Moulds and Bandai one of the same as both seem to make the same box lid art worked kits? I may be being stupid here but what's the difference?

No, they're totally different kits. Fine Molds used to have the Star Wars license, however it changed hands and now Bandai have started their own range of kits.

In general (and only having Fine Molds kits in my possession!) it looks as if both ranges are of high quality. However the Bandai Y-Wing has a funny arrangement on the cockpit pod that uses coloured plastic to represent the yellow stripe. It results in a panel line around what should actually be painted markings. Hard to explain, but have a look at AndyRM101's review here for pictures of the sprues.

regards,

Jason

Very nice work on the pilot, looks great

Are Fine Moulds and Bandai one of the same as both seem to make the same box lid art worked kits? I may be being stupid here but what's the difference?

As Jason said above, they're completely different companies and kits. The Finemolds one is very nice if you can still find it anywhere but, despite a few quirks, the Bandai one is the better kit (only just). The Finemolds release does have a wider choice of markings and much better decals though.

Andy

**Update** - Cockpit Part Three.

After several test fits and lighting checks, the cockpit and forward nose section have been assembled.

I then looked into the lighting for the engines. The lighting instructions call for the led to be mounted in part C13. The hole in C13 was too big for the led as-is so I dived into the spares box and found some wheels that the hole in C13 had the same circumference as the wheel hub. Glueing the wheel to C13 gave a perfect fit and a pilot hole to open the hole for the led.

DSCF1510.JPG

Here are some shots of the cockpit lights. I tried in lower light but pictures did come out.

DSCF1515.JPG

DSCF1520.JPG

• Like 4

Interesting solution with the wheel hub - although you could have also glued plastic sheeting over the back of it. The cockpit looks good too - not to bright.

What are you going to power this with?

Nice work on the lighting. Normally, when mounting LEDs, I get some styrene tube with an internal diameter the same as the LED size, then stick the LED into the tubing and attach the tubing to the area required, but your wheel solution works just as well.

Andy

Interesting solution with the wheel hub - although you could have also glued plastic sheeting over the back of it. The cockpit looks good too - not to bright.

What are you going to power this with?

I did consider a piece of flat styrene and then the fun of getting central hole drilled. I went to the spares box fist for some tubing but the wheels were on top and I just tried it out of curiosity.

probably 2 aa batteries in the kit base.

You wouldn't need to drill a hole big enough to fit the LED inside, just 2 small ones for the legs to go through and then a piece of tubing to go over the top of the LED. You can glue the base of the LED to the styrene sheet if you need to, or even a smear of super glue to the back side of the sheet where legs come through t hold them in place

Still, what you've done works so the above is a bit irrelevant now.

Looking forward to seeing more of this

MH

**Update** - Engine Lighting Part One.

So with the wheels glued in place, the centre holes were drilled to approximate size of led. The led's were then give a small spot of CA just hold then in place and the some canopy glue applied and left overnight to harden.

DSCF1528.JPG

The engine components from step 6 were assembled and the parts primed with grey stynylrez. The inside of C13 were then dry brushed with mr hobby stainless metalizer and the other engines parts were sprayed with tamiya x-2 gloss white.

Here the engine led glows nicely on C13.

DSCF1523.JPG

Temporary assembly of the whole engine unit with the white etc.

DSCF1533.JPG

Then I had to mask off C13 and the end exhaust was filled with white tack to mask off during later painting stages.

DSCF1537.JPG

• Like 4

Very nice work on the pilot, looks great

As Jason said above, they're completely different companies and kits. The Finemolds one is very nice if you can still find it anywhere but, despite a few quirks, the Bandai one is the better kit (only just). The Finemolds release does have a wider choice of markings and much better decals though.

Andy

Cheers Andy (and Jason)

No, they're totally different kits. Fine Molds used to have the Star Wars license, however it changed hands and now Bandai have started their own range of kits.

In general (and only having Fine Molds kits in my possession!) it looks as if both ranges are of high quality. However the Bandai Y-Wing has a funny arrangement on the cockpit pod that uses coloured plastic to represent the yellow stripe. It results in a panel line around what should actually be painted markings. Hard to explain, but have a look at AndyRM101's review here for pictures of the sprues.

regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason (and not forgetting your advice too Andy)

• 2 months later...

Assembly/Painting Update

Been a while since an update but progress has been made.

Assembly was completed but the astromech droid and guns were left off for now.

DSCF2248.JPG

Then model was primed with grey stynylrez.

DSCF2254.JPG

Once dry, a coat of thinned Tamiya XF-85 rubber black.

DSCF2256.JPG

Next was a 50/50 mix of XF-19 and XF-2 and then 2 coats of pledge/klear ready for decals.

Decal application has been the only issue with the build so far. Around the front of the engines i had wrinkling that initialling would not go away after
a few light application of micro-sol. In the end i used several coats of tamiya x-20-a to get them to an acceptable point to move the build forward.

DSCF2263.JPG

DSCF2271.JPG

Then the pipework was picked out with GW machurius solar orange.

DSCF2277.JPG

That was all sealed with a satin coat and then a dark dirt wash applied.

DSCF2284.JPG

• Like 5

Assembly/Painting Update

Spent a hour or so and what seemed like a million cotton buds to clean up the dark dirt wash. Once done and all traces of cotton fibres removed, the

model was sealed with satin varnish. Then it was time for some thinned tamiya smoke X-19, around the engines and the torpedo launhcers.

This was also then sealed with satin varnish. All masking removed and some small touch ups and it's prtetty much done.

DSCF2286.JPG

DSCF2287.JPG

DSCF2290.JPG

DSCF2297.JPG

DSCF2299.JPG

• Like 7