Correct British Armour color

Bob Henry

Cheers for this - have just mixed a full bottle of each as I have a lot of WW2 British armour to paint and the results look promising!

Thanks for checking this out. I appreciate it !!! Bob H.

Thanks for checking this out. I appreciate it !!! Bob H.

No worries - hopefully get chance to do a bit of airbrushing later and will post the results.

That sounds like an awesome project Tim. Has she still got a multi-bank engine?

Unfortunately not - in the interim until maybe one day we find one, we will fit with the Ford GAA engine.

We will make every effort to minimise modifications to the vehicle in doing so, and hopefully very little external changes to detract from the vehicle's appearance.

Hopefully will be On The Road in time for Normandy 75th in 2019 and some of the other 75th Anniversary events.

Cheers

Tim

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2015 at 5:21 PM, JackG said:

The link provided for Starmer's research gives the Humbrol mix for S.C.C.15, and I've seen on another forum, his recipe for Tamiya paints. Unfortunately, nothing in the Testors range, nor an FS equivalent. All I can suggest is an olive colour that is more green than brown.

Here is what I came up with when I used the Tamiay formula on my Firefly,

5 prts XF81

1 prt XF58

1 prt 71

11177730245_f8b34f5844_b.jpg

Interesting note, I then took the above image and loaded it as a sample colour here: http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

Using an eyedroper tool and zeroed in on the rear bin, the closest FS match was 34089, but was a bit more yellow than the tank image. it also was 12.88 units away form a direct match to my mix. A result of 2 or less is considered a good match.

regards,

Jack

Hi, Was the final shade after a gloss coat for decals, then matt final finish? Nice Firefly.

TIA

Brad

Thank you Brad.  Yes the usual gloss coat for decals, followed by a flat finish.  There is some weathering over the main colour, I believe I used MiG's ochre filter among other things.

regards,

Jack

Thanks for the reply Jack. I used the most current mix for SCC 15 as a base coat on my 1/48 scale M10 17 Pounder Achilles gun tank. Since I don't really have a paint ship to go by, I am using builds like yours as a reference.

All the best

Brad